X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SlimPvC
    • Apr 2005

LMS stopped working on Synology after PERL update

>> download perl versions archive.synology.cn/download/Package/Perl i
    >> used the perl x86.....0070.spk or the 0074.

>
    > Tried that but it doesn't work for me. I'm getting the message that the
    > package is not supported on the platform of Diskstation or is
    > incompatible with the current DSM version

You must make sure you're downloading the package for your architecture.
    If it's not an Intel CPU, then you need something else.

> For a complete luddite like me this whole LMS change is a nightmare.

For once it's not a LMS change, but a DSM (Synology) change. And they
    announced this more than a year ago.
  • SlimPvC
    • Apr 2005

LMS stopped working on Synology after PERL update

My LMS stopped working today on my Synology NAS DS218+. It's still there but it does not start. PERL is updated to 5.28.3.-0077, and specifically mentions that LMS is EOL and will fail to start.
    So I want to try to downgrade PERL to the previous version and block automatic updates.
    But I cannot find the Synology PERL packages with older versions.
    So: What is the best way to downgrade PERL to the latest-1 version? Anyone knows where to find earlier PERL packages?
    All help is appreciated, the LMS is the main application on my NAS (together with PLEX).

BTW - I tried installing LMS in docker but did not manage to get it working. It seemed to install fine but I could not get a connection to the music folders. Hope the docker versions will be getting attention since all Synology users will run into this problem now or soon.

Comment

• Jaca
      • Nov 2012

Originally posted by SlimPvC
      BTW - I tried installing LMS in docker but did not manage to get it working. It seemed to install fine but I could not get a connection to the music folders. Hope the docker versions will be getting attention since all Synology users will run into this problem now or soon.
      Hmm that's weird.. Usually for those unlucky to experience problems it's permissions of config folder which causes crashing... You said yours works but with no music folder? hmmm I would probably try again as I have same NAS and it works well on it. Surely docker is way to go as you want your NAS up to date so downgrading seems like bad idea
      3x Squeezebox Touch, 4x Squeezebox Radio, 2x SqueezeAMP, Squeezebox Receiver, PiCorePlayer (RPi 3B with HiFiBerry DAC+Pro), Material Skin Apk, SqueezePlayer Apk, Squeezelite-X, Logitech Media Server Version: 8.4.0 with Material Skin (Docker in DS218+)

Comment

• Selym
        • Mar 2021

Same thing happened to me, and I cannot run Docker on my NAS (DS214play).

Is there some other media server that will run on my Diskstation that can stream music to a Squeezebox?

Comment

• Jaca
          • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Jaca
          Hmm that's weird.. Usually for those unlucky to experience problems it's permissions of config folder which causes crashing... You said yours works but with no music folder? hmmm I would probably try again as I have same NAS and it works well on it. Surely docker is way to go as you want your NAS up to date so downgrading seems like bad idea
          https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=999039
          3x Squeezebox Touch, 4x Squeezebox Radio, 2x SqueezeAMP, Squeezebox Receiver, PiCorePlayer (RPi 3B with HiFiBerry DAC+Pro), Material Skin Apk, SqueezePlayer Apk, Squeezelite-X, Logitech Media Server Version: 8.4.0 with Material Skin (Docker in DS218+)

Comment

• SlimPvC
            • Apr 2005

I will definitely try again because I'm not ready to part with my squeezeboxes yet. But Docker requires some skills beyond mine so this is a challenge

Comment

• Jaca
              • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Selym

Is there some other media server that will run on my Diskstation that can stream music to a Squeezebox?
              Not sure, even if you get smth running it probably won't be as smooth experience.. I would advise you to get yourself raspberry pi with piCorePlayer for LMS.. Optionally with dac hat it usb dac which will give you another player.

Its fairly easy and cheap but if you are not comfortable you could preorder Core32 for plug and play LMS (although it's not yet shipping..so you will have some downtime )

Comment

• Jaca
                • Nov 2012

I will definitely try again because I'm not ready to part with my squeezeboxes yet. But Docker requires some skills beyond mine so this is a challenge
                Have a look at the link I sent.. I tried to put tutorial while ago... Quite few people found it helpful.. If you struggle just ask

And yeah lms now is rocking with material skin you can't get better then squeezebox.. So yeah don't ditch it lol

Comment

• Jaca
                  • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Selym

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=1015943
                  Maybe as temporary solution?

Comment

• Selym
                    • Mar 2021

Not sure, even if you get smth running it probably won't be as smooth experience.. I would advise you to get yourself raspberry pi with piCorePlayer for LMS.. Optionally with dac hat it usb dac which will give you another player.

Its fairly easy and cheap but if you are not comfortable you could preorder Core32 for plug and play LMS (although it's not yet shipping..so you will have some downtime )
                    Thanks for the information!

It just occurred to me that I can probably run LMS on my Diskstation under my existing chroot-ed Debian installation. If that doesn't work out, I will likely pursue the Raspberry Pi, or even an Intel NUC.

Thanks again for the advice. Much appreciated!

Myles

Comment

• SlimPvC
                      • Apr 2005

HUGE thanks for this. Your manual definitely helped me installing the docker package. And it worked immediately.
                      I had to change one thing: my music files are in the shared music folder on the NAS, for which Synology has its own permissions. the standard permissions (PUID 99 and PGID 100) did not work and left the music directory empty. (This was my previous problem)
                      Setting these to root (0) solved that problem for now but I have to think of a better solution.

Also, I may get back to you with a question about symlink, because I also have music in a different directory...

Feels like you saved an important part of my life ;-)

Comment

• Jaca
                        • Nov 2012

HUGE thanks for this. Your manual definitely helped me installing the docker package. And it worked immediately.
                        I had to change one thing: my music files are in the shared music folder on the NAS, for which Synology has its own permissions. the standard permissions (PUID 99 and PGID 100) did not work and left the music directory empty. (This was my previous problem)
                        Setting these to root (0) solved that problem for now but I have to think of a better solution.

Also, I may get back to you with a question about symlink, because I also have music in a different directory...

Feels like you saved an important part of my life ;-)
                        Nice one! Glad it works for you

for symlink have a look at this video.. its just one line of code if I remember correctly, but video explains it quite well for those who feel uneasy about it.

Comment

• DomCa
                          • Oct 2017

Download former PERL package

But I cannot find the Synology PERL packages with older versions.
                          You can find it here:

I figured it out based on the download link for the new package, because I have the same problem...
                          Last edited by DomCa; 2021-03-23, 21:09.

Comment

• SlimPvC
                            • Apr 2005

Nice one! Glad it works for you

for symlink have a look at this video.. its just one line of code if I remember correctly, but video explains it quite well for those who feel uneasy about it.
                            https://youtu.be/mwmg2EKKmtM
                            Thanks.. He's going a bit too fast for me now so I will watch it on half-speed later ;-)

Comment

• SlimPvC
                              • Apr 2005

Thanks for this, but I went for the Docker solution so that I don't need to downgrade Perl.

Comment

Working...