What are you listening to right now ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • d6jg
    • Feb 2011

♪ I'm listening to John Coltrane, Untitled Original 11383 - Take 1 from Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album (Deluxe Version)

This is superb!!!!!. Vinyl copy has been received but not yet digitised to FLAC
    Jim

pCP9.0 / LMS 9.x storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Onkyo CRN775 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Kitchen WiiM Pro -> Topping MX3 - B&W In Ceiling speakers
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Denon RCFN8 -> Celestions F10s

Comment

• w3wilkes
      • Jan 2009

Crash Test Dummies - God Shuffled His Feet - 1993 - This album is a solid 4 stars. Brad Roberts voice is "distinctive".
      Attached Files
      Wilkes

Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 8.5.1 on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets ( both WiFi, both work perfectly, new power supply) and Squeeseslave
      Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 8.5.1 on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B (WiFi) /Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave
      Squeezebox Boom - "At Large" player around both home and cabin
      Headphones and car - Android phone/Bluetooth w/full library on MicroSD card - PowerAmp music player app (similar to Material Skin)

Comment

• Grumpy Bob
        • Dec 2010

I am listening to Culture - Two Sevens Clash on a Raspberry Pi; The Raptors Death Becomes Her/Teen Witch on a Squeezebox Touch; and The Fall Peel Sessions on another Raspberry Pi as I check the configuration of a repaired DacMagic and my LMS running on a third Raspberry Pi!

Robert
        Home: Raspberry Pi 4/pCP7.0/LMS8.1.2/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
        Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
        2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), 1 x SqueezeAMP
        Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
        Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP7.0.1/LMS8.1.2/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

Comment

• RonM
          • Apr 2008

Click image for larger version

Name:	music makers and soul shakers.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	1564917

Steve Dawson's "Music Makers and Soul Shakers" podcast, Amos Garrett edition.

For music nerds only . . .

Steve Dawson is a great guitarist and producer, in the roots/folk/Americana/blues vein. His own sound is kind of "dirty", he plays hard and likes fuzz. He's a talented producer who works successfully within a variety of artist styles. Canadian from the west coast, lives and works in Nashville, has lots of quality musical connections and a great deal of musical curiosity.

He is, therefore, the perfect person to assemble a cast of musicians to talk about their musical journeys.

His podcast, some 50+ episodes long so far, engages musicians, producers, engineers and others in discussions about their craft and their history. He kicked off with Bill Frisell, usually seen as a jazz guitarist but active in many genres, and travels through an immense catalog of great artists. I was a late-comer, downloaded the full set of podcasts, and am listening more or less randomly and continuously to the shows. Season 3 is in production. I'll subscribe to it.

These are long-form interviews, usually an hour to ninety minutes long, and NEVER long enough. On some occasions a particularly long conversation is split into two separate podcasts. All of the interviews include illustrative musical cuts, not full tracks but excerpts to illustrate what is being talked about. On some occasions, when the interviewee is in the studio with Steve, there'll be an impromptu jam at the end.

These are available for free from iTunes, or from his own website at the address below. You can subscribe through iTunes. There is some cost involved, so he's set up a Patreon donation mechanism. Believe me, if you are into this kind of music at all you'll want to throw in a few bucks to keep it running.

It should be noted that the early sessions were not so perfect from a technical point of view; for instance, the great Frisell interview has Steve sounding like he's talking a great deal further from the mic than is Frisell. But these problems are soon solved.

Get them from http://www.stevedawson.ca/makersandshakerspodcast/

R.
          LMS on a dedicated server (PiCorePlayer)
          Transporter (Ethernet) - main listen ining, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
          Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
          Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
          Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
          Radio (WiFi) - home office
          Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
          Touch x 1 - spare
          UE Radio x 1 - spare
          Boom x 1 - spare
          Controller x 1 - Spare

Comment

• Grumpy Bob
            • Dec 2010

Midori Takada - Through The Looking Glass
            A sort of minimalist/ambient record dating from 1983 - I've only played this a few times so far, but it's rather pleasing. Apparently it never had a CD release, and this vinyl release doesn't seem to be accompanied by a digital release either. The 33rpm version I have is a lovely pressing (there's a 2 x 45rom version, too, but it's rather more expensive). Can be heard on YouTube and Soundcloud.

Name:	cover.jpg
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	1564920
            Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
            Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
            Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP7.0.1/LMS8.1.2/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

Comment

• garym
              • May 2008

Originally posted by RonM

Steve Dawson's "Music Makers and Soul Shakers" podcast, Amos Garrett edition.

For music nerds only . . .

Steve Dawson is a great guitarist and producer, in the roots/folk/Americana/blues vein. His own sound is kind of "dirty", he plays hard and likes fuzz. He's a talented producer who works successfully within a variety of artist styles. Canadian from the west coast, lives and works in Nashville, has lots of quality musical connections and a great deal of musical curiosity.

He is, therefore, the perfect person to assemble a cast of musicians to talk about their musical journeys.

His podcast, some 50+ episodes long so far, engages musicians, producers, engineers and others in discussions about their craft and their history. He kicked off with Bill Frisell, usually seen as a jazz guitarist but active in many genres, and travels through an immense catalog of great artists. I was a late-comer, downloaded the full set of podcasts, and am listening more or less randomly and continuously to the shows. Season 3 is in production. I'll subscribe to it.

These are long-form interviews, usually an hour to ninety minutes long, and NEVER long enough. On some occasions a particularly long conversation is split into two separate podcasts. All of the interviews include illustrative musical cuts, not full tracks but excerpts to illustrate what is being talked about. On some occasions, when the interviewee is in the studio with Steve, there'll be an impromptu jam at the end.

These are available for free from iTunes, or from his own website at the address below. You can subscribe through iTunes. There is some cost involved, so he's set up a Patreon donation mechanism. Believe me, if you are into this kind of music at all you'll want to throw in a few bucks to keep it running.

It should be noted that the early sessions were not so perfect from a technical point of view; for instance, the great Frisell interview has Steve sounding like he's talking a great deal further from the mic than is Frisell. But these problems are soon solved.

Get them from http://www.stevedawson.ca/makersandshakerspodcast/

R.
              Looks fantastic. Just subscribed via iphone podcast app. A couple more I recommend, "Cocaine and Rhinestones" is a very well done deep dive into classic country music history. It's an area I know a lot about, but still learn many new things from the podcasts. "Thanks for Giving a Damn by Otis Gibbs" is a very entertaining and informative podcast on a wide range of very interesting music background topics/interviews.
              Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
              Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
              Office: Win11(64)>foobar2000
              The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
              Controllers: Material Skin, iPhone14Pro & iPadAir5 (iPeng), or CONTROLLER
              Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

• RonM
                • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Grumpy Bob
                Midori Takada - Through The Looking Glass
                A sort of minimalist/ambient record dating from 1983 - I've only played this a few times so far, but it's rather pleasing. Apparently it never had a CD release, and this vinyl release doesn't seem to be accompanied by a digital release either. The 33rpm version I have is a lovely pressing (there's a 2 x 45rom version, too, but it's rather more expensive). Can be heard on YouTube and Soundcloud.

[ATTACH]25533[/ATTACH]
                It's available on CD from Amazon in the US and Canada, at least. 2017 release.

R.
                Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
                Touch x 1 - spare
                UE Radio x 1 - spare
                Boom x 1 - spare
                Controller x 1 - Spare

Comment

• Grumpy Bob
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by RonM
                  It's available on CD from Amazon in the US and Canada, at least. 2017 release.

R.
                  Mea culpa, sloppy language on my part - I rarely buy CDs these days, generally going for downloads or vinyl. It was download I meant.

Robert

Comment

• RonM
                    • Apr 2008

I found it available for streaming on SoundCloud, at least I couldn't see a way to buy the album there. Listened a bit to the samples, great!

I ordered the CD from a third-party seller on Amazon, quite a bit cheaper than from Amazon itself, even with shipping (which I could have free from Amazon by buying something else from my wish-list).

In general, I much prefer downloading, but it seems that fewer mainstream releases can be found in full flac, other than rip-off hi resolution. So when I want actual CD quality, and can't find it via download, I will buy the plastic.

And I'll compare. We are fairly well off in Canada, re iTunes, as we pay $9.99, which I think is what US customers pay in US$. But if I can find a CD that comes within 20% of that, counting shipping, I'll generally go for it. And if it's bought directly from a US address I generally don't have to pay the 13% local tax.

Unfortunately, CDBaby is no longer emphasizing their download business, and have dropped the flac format from their options. Although it was $10 US, a premium on Canadian iTunes, the flac made a difference.

From time to time I find older (and very occasionally newer) albums at the library for loaning. Of course, I return it before it's due, sometimes just hours after I got it. . .

From an audiophile point of view, the current release of the Takada album sounds promising, or at least interesting from a marketing point of view -- REEL-2-REEL TO DIGITAL CONVERSION, loudly trumpeted. Not sure how else they would do it, actually.

R.
                    Touch x 1 - spare
                    UE Radio x 1 - spare
                    Boom x 1 - spare
                    Controller x 1 - Spare

Comment

• Grumpy Bob
                      • Dec 2010

Nick Cave - Distant Sky - four track live EP, recorded at Copenhagen. As a long time Cave aficionado, this is great stuff. Four tracks drawn from across his post-Birthday Party career.

Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	1565073

Comment

• Wombat
                        • Feb 2006

Sir Paul McCartney did a very fine release with several great melodies! It is really fun to listen thru.
                        He does release his back catlog remastered but unfortunately butchered this one to DR garbage like his fellow Beck did with the Colors album. These music millionairs don't allow good sound for the money of CD anymore it seems. I ordered the german standard CD.

Name:	pmeg.jpg
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	1565080
                        Transporter (modded) -> RG142 -> Avantgarde Acoustic based 500VA monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 -> self-made speakers

Comment

• Apesbrain
                          • Jun 2005

Novo Amor - Woodgate, NY (2014)

Comment

• Grumpy Bob
                            • Dec 2010

Black Mountain Sides - free CD with Mojo magazine. The December issue that just arrived has a big feature about Led Zeppelin, and this compilation is (I think) intended to accompany that, with a variety of folk/blues tracks, some quite heavy. Anyway, it's one of the better such compilations, and all the better because it's not typically the kind of music I listen to.

Name:	cover.jpeg
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	1565143

Brought With The Rain by Bert Jansch
                            On The Banks Of The Old Kishwaukee by Ryley Walker
                            Sketch From Life by Nathan Salsburg
                            Kensington Blues by Jack Rose
                            Memphis in Winter by Michael Chapman
                            Cloud Corner by Marisa Anderson
                            Old Strange by Steve Gunn
                            After The Storm by John Hulburt
                            Wine And Peanuts by Daniel Bachman
                            Time Is Temporary by Roy Harper
                            Sometimes There's Blood by Gwenifer Raymond
                            Ransom Street Blues by Chuck Johnson
                            Hire Purchase Part 1 by Cian Nugent & The Cosmos
                            I'm Not Trying To Wake Up by 75 Dollar Bill

Comment

• Grumpy Bob
                              • Dec 2010

The Sporting Life by Diamanda Galás with John Paul Jones. On the surface a somewhat unlikely collaboration from 1994, but one that works for me!

Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	1565178

Comment

• Grumpy Bob
                                • Dec 2010

The Complete Funhouse Sessions by The Stooges. This is a 7 CD set, with an improbable number of takes of Loose. I think there are 28! Anyway, a great set if you're keen on The Stooges!

Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	1565180

Comment

Working...