Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • edwin2006
    • May 2017

PcP 5.x Zero with hifibery intermidiate stopping squeezelite

I got lost in the PcP 5.x thread were i posted a problem with a Pi-zero with hifiberry dac https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post944736
    So this is the original post https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post943759

Today again player disappeared. When looking at PcP the dac is still visible and PcP also say's that squeezelite is running but when i restart Squeezelite it gives an error. Only way to get it running is by rebooting the pi.
    So that's what i did for now. What would be the next step when the failure happens again?
    Last edited by edwin2006; 2019-07-26, 09:00.
    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's (SB2, SB3, Boom, Touch)
    Server: LMS on Pi3B+ 8.1.2 on PcP 7.0.1
    Network: Draytek, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, Ubiquiti PoE, 3x Ubiquity
  • TheHypnoToad
    • May 2019

Originally posted by edwin2006
    I got lost in the PcP 5.x thread were i posted a problem with a Pi-zero with hifiberry dac https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post944736
    So this is the original post https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post943759

Today again player disappeared. When looking at PcP the dac is still visible and PcP also say's that squeezelite is running but when i restart Squeezelite it gives an error. Only way to get it running is by rebooting the pi.
    So that's what i did for now. What would be the next step when the failure happens again?
    Can you log in to your pi over SSH when it disappears?

Comment

• edwin2006
      • May 2017

I'm not 100% sure but I thought I could. Next time it happens I'll try.
      SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's (SB2, SB3, Boom, Touch)

Comment

• paul-
        • Jan 2013

I would ssh in and then try to restart squeezelite from command line

sudo /usr/local/etc/init.d/squeezelite restart

See what it says from command line.
        piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
        Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Comment

• edwin2006
          • May 2017

I will try as soon I've got the problem but it could take some time before this happens.

Comment

• TheHypnoToad
            • May 2019

I will try as soon I've got the problem but it could take some time before this happens.
            If SSH connection fails, try just 'PINGing' the Pi if you know it's IP address or hostname, sometimes my PiZero will freeze, no SSH access but I'm still able to PING it so it still has network access.

It doesn't happen often, if it did I may look into the hardware watchdog for some sort of auto-reboot when this happens.

Comment

• edwin2006
              • May 2017

Originally posted by TheHypnoToad
              If SSH connection fails, try just 'PINGing' the Pi if you know it's IP address or hostname, sometimes my PiZero will freeze, no SSH access but I'm still able to PING it so it still has network access.

It doesn't happen often, if it did I may look into the hardware watchdog for some sort of auto-reboot when this happens.
              If it's I visible to lms I'm still able to access pcp GUI, so it should be pingable also. So it looks like it's just Squeezelite that has been has stopped. Will try SSH next time.

Comment

• paul-
                • Jan 2013

If it's I visible to lms I'm still able to access pcp GUI, so it should be pingable also. So it looks like it's just Squeezelite that has been has stopped. Will try SSH next time.
                If it's visibly to lms, then squeezelite is still running. However, if you stop squeezlite from playing, it will close the alsa output device. So if the device disappears after stopping, squeezelite will keep running. When you try to restart squeezelite it is likely not seeing the required output device, and thus not starting. Starting squeezelite from a ssh command line should see the whole error message.

So likely the board is disappearing from the system. You might also look at dmesg to see if something is in there. Otherwise, it's likely a hardware connection issue. Perhaps a pin with poor connection on the board.

Comment

• edwin2006
                  • May 2017

I meant invisible but auto correct changed it in I visible [emoji53]
                  And how do I look for dmesg?

Comment

• paul-
                    • Jan 2013

Just type dmesg from command line.

It’s also on one of the diagnostics pages

Comment

• TheHypnoToad
                      • May 2019

I've just had this exact thing happen to me, Also running PiZero, with HifiBerry Dac Zero, on PcP 5.0, I was originally running 4.1 and upgrades have been with the card in the Pi.

On my LMS webinterface, the player called 'Orange' simply vanished. Music stopped straight away. Listening to a 128KBps radio station at the time.

I was already logged in on SSH and can still access the webinterface, here's what the diagnostics has to say:

[ INFO ] Squeezelite process:
                      /usr/local/bin/squeezelite -n Orange -o hw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry -a 80 4 1 -v -C 15

Squeezelite still seems to be running:
                      Code:
                      tc@PiZero:~$ ps -A | grep squeeze
                       2121 root      3:07 /usr/local/bin/squeezelite -n Orange -o hw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry -a 80 4  1 -v -C 15
                      My network connection seems OK:
                      Code:
                      tc@PiZero:~$ iwconfig wlan0
                      wlan0     IEEE 802.11  ESSID:"xxxxxx"  
                                Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.447 GHz  Access Point: xxxxxxxx
                                Bit Rate=65 Mb/s   Tx-Power=31 dBm   
                                Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
                                Power Management:off
                                Link Quality=50/70  Signal level=-60 dBm  
                                Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
                                Tx excessive retries:282  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
                      dmesg did show this at the end however:

Code:
                      [ 2105.052866] pcm5102a-codec pcm5102a-codec: pcm5102a_dai_startup: Limiting sample rate support to 192kHz MAX
                      [ 3454.877425] FAT-fs (mmcblk0p1): Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.
                      Complete dmesg is at: https://paste2.org/fwb6g9PO

The Volume was not properly unmounted error seemed to occur around the same time as the player vanished from LMS, but I'm not really sure how to run fsck under PCP, but I can try if this may stop this from happening.

After around 5-10 mins the player has reappeared on the LMS webinterface, and is now playing music again, this time some FLAC's without issue, I did not reboot it.

Could this be some of sort SD card issue? Next time I have the player apart I can try restarting PCP with a different SD card and see if it happens again, but it takes a while for me to take the player out as it's bolted into a case.

Other things I checked:
                      CPU Temp:
                      cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp = 58376
                      58 degrees C

power throttling?
                      cat /sys/devices/platform/soc/soc:firmware/get_throttled = 0
                      no power throttling
                      Last edited by TheHypnoToad; 2019-07-31, 16:20. Reason: extra info added

Comment

• paul-
                        • Jan 2013

The fat error is pretty harmless, and would be unrelated.

from your log,
                        Code:
                        [   31.100454] pcm5102a-codec pcm5102a-codec: pcm5102a_dai_startup: Limiting sample rate support to 192kHz MAX
                        [   31.655319] brcmfmac: power management disabled
                        [   31.767930] pcm5102a-codec pcm5102a-codec: pcm5102a_dai_startup: Limiting sample rate support to 192kHz MAX
                        [   33.950362] Finished piCorePlayer v5.0.0 startup.
                        [  901.862425] sched: RT throttling activated
                        [ 1101.212729] pcm5102a-codec pcm5102a-codec: pcm5102a_dai_startup: Limiting sample rate support to 192kHz MAX
                        [ 1513.817876] pcm5102a-codec pcm5102a-codec: pcm5102a_dai_startup: Limiting sample rate support to 192kHz MAX
                        [ 1917.770103] pcm5102a-codec pcm5102a-codec: pcm5102a_dai_startup: Limiting sample rate support to 192kHz MAX
                        [ 1943.594702] pcm5102a-codec pcm5102a-codec: pcm5102a_dai_startup: Limiting sample rate support to 192kHz MAX
                        [ 1946.969047] pcm5102a-codec pcm5102a-codec: pcm5102a_dai_startup: Limiting sample rate support to 192kHz MAX
                        [ 2074.775198] pcm5102a-codec pcm5102a-codec: pcm5102a_dai_startup: Limiting sample rate support to 192kHz MAX
                        [ 2104.959325] pcm5102a-codec pcm5102a-codec: pcm5102a_dai_startup: Limiting sample rate support to 192kHz MAX
                        [ 2105.052866] pcm5102a-codec pcm5102a-codec: pcm5102a_dai_startup: Limiting sample rate support to 192kHz MAX
                        [ 3454.877425] FAT-fs (mmcblk0p1): Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.
                        I'm not sure why that message is being repeated so many times, normally you might see that only at startup. Seems like to me the card is disappearing. Perhaps you guys might want to check your connections on the GPIO header.

Comment

• TheHypnoToad
                          • May 2019

Originally posted by paul-
                          The fat error is pretty harmless, and would be unrelated.
                          Nice, I was going to try and somehow start messing about with fsck, glad I don't have to now.

Originally posted by paul-
                          I'm not sure why that message is being repeated so many times, normally you might see that only at startup. Seems like to me the card is disappearing. Perhaps you guys might want to check your connections on the GPIO header.
                          I will double and triple check my connections and soldering next time the pi is onbolted, I do need do re-do some cabling also so it will be the perfect time to do so. I'm running a normal header connection for the DAC.

However I've found I always get the:
                          'Limiting sample rate support to 192kHz MAX'
                          Message whenever I turn the player on in the LMS webinterface.

I've just turned it off then on again in LMS webinterface, this is the last message:

[ 5453.232414] pcm5102a-codec pcm5102a-codec: pcm5102a_dai_startup: Limiting sample rate support to 192kHz MAX

'uptime' shows:
                          16:32:09 up 1:31, 2 users, load average: 1.06, 1.11, 1.09

1hr 31min = 5460 seconds, above message is at 5453 seconds which is around the same time.

Comment

• paul-
                            • Jan 2013

Which hifiberry board are you guys using?

Comment

• sbp
                              • Apr 2010

Another question: are you using the normal kernel or the rt kernel?

Please donate if you like piCorePlayer

Comment

Working...