• Roland0
    • Aug 2012

[Howto] play Ogg Opus files

> But it's the minority, so chances are there's a bug in Foobar. I'll post
    > to their forum tomorrow.

Might actually be a known issue in Audio::Scan:

--

Michael
    Various SW: Web Interface | Text Interface | Playlist Editor / Generator | Music Classification | Similar Music | Announce | EventTrigger | Ambient Noise Mixer | DB Optimizer | Image Enhancer | Chiptunes | LMSlib2go | ...
    Various HowTos: build a self-contained LMS | Bluetooth/ALSA | Control LMS with any device | ...
  • Roland0
    • Aug 2012

Since I recently came across some music in the Ogg Opus format, I looked into playing it with LMS.
    The main issue is that the library LMS uses to read audio metadata (AudioScan) doesn't support Opus. I did, however, find a forked version which does.
    As this one hasn't been updated in a while, I decided to merge the Opus support into the current AudioScan.

Attached you will find a patch for AudioScan enabling Opus support (credit goes to the original author linked above), plus some support files for LMS.

Instructions
    Install the Opus libraries and sox with the Opus codec enabled. Most likely, your distribution will have it packaged already (e.g. libopus, libopus-dev, opus-tools, sox in Debian)
    Note: if your sox version doesn't support Opus (check with sox -h), you can compile it yourself or use opusdec instead. However, you will lose the ability to seek in a track when using opusdec.

Download the attached zip and build the module:
    Code:
    mkdir build; cd build
    wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Logitech/slimserver-vendor/public/7.9/CPAN/buildme.sh
    wget http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/A/AG/AGRUNDMA/Audio-Scan-0.96.tar.gz
    wget https://github.com/Logitech/slimserver-vendor/raw/public/7.9/CPAN/Sub-Uplevel-0.22.tar.gz
    wget https://github.com/Logitech/slimserver-vendor/raw/public/7.9/CPAN/Test-Warn-0.23.tar.gz
    wget https://github.com/Logitech/slimserver-vendor/raw/public/7.9/CPAN/Tree-DAG_Node-1.06.tar.gz

unzip lmsopus-alpha.zip

tar xzf Audio-Scan-0.96.tar.gz
    cd Audio-Scan-0.96
    patch -p1 < ../Audio-Scan-0.96.opus.patch
    cd ..
    mv Audio-Scan-0.96.tar.gz Audio-Scan-0.96.orig.tar.gz
    tar czf Audio-Scan-0.96.tar.gz Audio-Scan-0.96
    chmod +x buildme.sh
    ./buildme.sh Audio::Scan
    If the build was successful, you'll find the perl modules in
    Code:
    ./build/arch/<perl version>/<architecture>
    e.g. for perl 5.24 on Linux 64bit:
    Code:
    build/arch/5.24/x86_64-linux-thread-multi
    copy the content of the build/arch directory to your LMS installation's CPAN/arch folder
    e.g. if your LMS is in opt/logitechmediaserver-7.8-0-noCPAN, the full final path will be
    Code:
    /opt/logitechmediaserver-7.8-0-noCPAN/CPAN/arch/5.24/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/auto/Audio
    In your LMS installation, edit Slim/Formats.pm and add the format:
    Code:
    	'ogf' => 'Slim::Formats::OggFLAC',
    	'ops' => 'Slim::Formats::OggOpus',  # add this line
    and finally copy OggOpus.pm to your LMS installation's Slim/Formats folder

Edit your modules.conf:
    Code:
    Audio::Scan 0.93 0.96
    This takes care of the metadata part. To actually be able to play it, add this line to your custom-types.conf:
    Code:
    ops	opus	audio/ogg	audio
    and modify your custom-convert.conf.

For sox with opus:

Code:
    ops mp3 * *
    	# IFB:{BITRATE=--abr %B}D:{RESAMPLE=--resample %D}
    	[sox] -q -t opus $FILE$ -t wav - | [lame] --silent -q $QUALITY$ $RESAMPLE$ $BITRATE$ - -

ops ops * *
    	-

ops aif * *
    	[sox] -q -t opus $FILE$ -t raw -r 44100 -c 2 -2 -s $-x$ -

ops pcm * *
    	[sox] -q -t opus $FILE$ -t raw -r 44100 -c 2 -2 -s -

ops flc * *
    	# IFRD:{RESAMPLE=-r %d}T:{START=trim %s}
    	[sox] -t opus $FILE$ -t flac -C 0 $RESAMPLE$ - $START$

For opusdec:
    Code:
    ops mp3 * *
    	[opusdec] --quiet $FILE$ --force-wav - | [lame] --silent -q $QUALITY$ $RESAMPLE$ $BITRATE$ - -

ops ops * *
    	-

ops pcm * *
    	[opusdec] --quiet --rate 44100 $FILE$ - 

ops flc * *
    	[opusdec] --quiet --force-wav $FILE$ - | [sox] -q -t wav - -t flac -C 0 $RESAMPLE$ -
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Roland0; 2017-02-27, 18:38. Reason: added modules.conf
    Various SW: Web Interface | Text Interface | Playlist Editor / Generator | Music Classification | Similar Music | Announce | EventTrigger | Ambient Noise Mixer | DB Optimizer | Image Enhancer | Chiptunes | LMSlib2go | ...
    Various HowTos: build a self-contained LMS | Bluetooth/ALSA | Control LMS with any device | ...

Comment

• mherger
      Babelfish's Best Boy
      • Apr 2005

> The main issue is that the library LMS uses to read audio metadata
      > (AudioScan) doesn't support Opus. I did, however, find a 'forked
      > version' (https://github.com/jrmuizel/AudioScan-opus/) which does.
      > As this one hasn't been updated in a while, I decided to merge the Opus
      > support into the current AudioScan.

Did you submit a pull request to Andy
      (https://github.com/andygrundman/Audio-Scan)? This very topic had come
      up recently on our github site:

--

Michael
      Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"
      (LMS: Settings/Information)

Comment

• andyg
        Former Squeezebox Guy
        • Jan 2006

This is pretty cool, I had no idea someone had worked on this years ago. I'd be happy to add this to Audio-Scan if you want to submit a pull request.

Comment

• Roland0
          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by andyg
          This is pretty cool, I had no idea someone had worked on this years ago. I'd be happy to add this to Audio-Scan if you want to submit a pull request.
          I didn't submit a pull request, since I'm not the original author.

I guess we have the following options:
          - Motivate the original author to submit the pull request
          - You apply my patch directly (possibly in a feature branch)
          - I fork AudioScan, apply the patch, and submit a pull request

What would you prefer?

Comment

• andyg
            Former Squeezebox Guy
            • Jan 2006

I changed my mind about Opus and merged it into Audio-Scan 1.01, now on CPAN. Hope this helps some of you!

Comment

• mherger
              Babelfish's Best Boy
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Roland0
              I didn't submit a pull request, since I'm not the original author.

I guess we have the following options:
              - Motivate the original author to submit the pull request
              - You apply my patch directly (possibly in a feature branch)
              - I fork AudioScan, apply the patch, and submit a pull request
              AudioScan has been updated with this patch (not in LMS yet). But are you the author of the LMS side changes? Would you be able to provide a pull request, or all wrapped up in a little plugin?
              Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"

Comment

• Roland0
                • Aug 2012

Originally posted by mherger
                AudioScan has been updated with this patch (not in LMS yet). But are you the author of the LMS side changes?
                Yes

Would you be able to provide a pull request,
                Since I have little git know-how and none using it with github, this could take a while, as I'm a bit busy atm.
                Everything that needs to be done is described in the first post, however, and the one new source file is in the attached zip, in case you want to speed things up by doing it yourself.

or all wrapped up in a little plugin?
                Back when I wrote it, it wasn't obvious to me how a plugin could add a new format (incl. metadata etc.).
                Any example available?

Comment

• mherger
                  Babelfish's Best Boy
                  • Apr 2005

I can’t find OggOpus.pm in your posting. It isn’t in the archive either, is it?
                  Michael

Comment

• Roland0
                    • Aug 2012

I can’t find OggOpus.pm in your posting. It isn’t in the archive either, is it?
                    It's in the zip (as are the *.conf files)

Comment

• mherger
                      Babelfish's Best Boy
                      • Apr 2005

> It's in the zip (as are the *.conf files)

Oh... the iOS .zip preview only shows the first file in the archive (and
                      I don't even know where that preview is coming from, as I don't see it
                      on the iPad?!?).

Is that scanBitrate() method really needed? It's my understanding that
                      most of it is dealing with scanning remote streams. Is this a topic with
                      Opus?

--

Michael
                      Michael

Comment

• Roland0
                        • Aug 2012

Is that scanBitrate() method really needed? It's my understanding that
                        most of it is dealing with scanning remote streams. Is this a topic with
                        Opus?
                        I'd assume so, see e.g. here.
                        IIRC, I haven't actually tested if it works, though...

Comment

• damazta
                          • Jan 2021

Error: Unable to load Slim::Formats::OggOpus: Can't locate Slim/Formats/OggOpus.pm

Hey everyone, i decided to give Opus a shot, upgrading from Vorbis -q6 to date. However, my LMS v8.1.0, 1608700893 on Windows 10 won't pick up any .opus files. The error thrown is [21-01-01 18:28:34.2421] Slim::Formats::readTags (186) Error: Unable to load Slim::Formats::OggOpus: Can't locate Slim/Formats/OggOpus.pm in @INC .....
                          BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at (eval 1207) line 2.

I found this thread but it doesn't seem applicable anymore as Andy apparently included Opus in the scanner a while ago.

How can I make this work?

Thanks!

EDIT:
                          So I tried adding the same files Opus encoded in .ogg instead of .opus containers, to make sure the .opus container wasn't throwing it off. Result: the scanner doesn't even see them - they don't even show up in the scanner logs. (!?)
                          These Ogg Opus files play fine in Windows (Groove.exe), Foobar 2000 and my Android phone.

In summary:
                          .ogg Vorbis --> works as expected
                          .ogg Opus --> appears "invisible", scanner doesn't even pick it up
                          .opus Opus --> scan throws error above

Any ideas?
                          Last edited by damazta; 2021-01-01, 18:53. Reason: additional insight

Comment

• mherger
                            Babelfish's Best Boy
                            • Apr 2005

> Hey everyone, i decided to give Opus a shot, upgrading from Vorbis -q6
                            > to date. However, my LMS v8.1.0, 1608700893 on Windows 10 won't pick up
                            > any .opus files. The error thrown is [21-01-01 18:28:34.2421]
                            > Slim::Formats::readTags (186) Error: Unable to load
                            > Slim::Formats::OggOpus: Can't locate Slim/Formats/OggOpus.pm in @INC
                            > .....
                            > BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at (eval 1207) line 2.

I'm sorry, my mistake. Windows always needs a little more love. I forgot
                            to add the necessary file to the build configuration. Please check for
                            updates later today.

--

Michael
                            Michael

Comment

• damazta
                              • Jan 2021

No worries and thanks for the quick fix!

Yeah, Windows needs more love, but because of that LMS is a lot easier for me to install and update on Windows than on Linux.
                              I ran LMS on a QNAP NAS for years and maintaining it was always a nightmare for me, as i don't know my way around Linux.

So i really appreciate the effort you and the community put in to supporting LMS on Windows - so i don't have to.

btw is there something like a patreon or paypal account for donations?

Comment

Working...