What are you listening to right now ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Apesbrain
    • Jun 2005

Graham Parker - Don't Tell Columbus (2007)

Comment

• Grumpy Bob
      • Dec 2010

I'm listening to Sinners and Lost Souls by Sons of Southern Ulster. Sort folky rumbustious rock music. On vinyl!

Robert
      Attached Files
      Home: Raspberry Pi 4/pCP7.0/LMS8.1.2/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
      Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
      2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), 1 x SqueezeAMP
      Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
      Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP7.0.1/LMS8.1.2/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

Comment

• Grumpy Bob
        • Dec 2010

I'm playing last year's Sparks album - A Steady Drip, Drip, Drip - on vinyl, it's a double LP that spins at 45rpm. Along with their previous release Hippopotamus, a continued return to form.

Robert

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sparks-Drip.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	1571831
        Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
        Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
        Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP7.0.1/LMS8.1.2/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

Comment

• Grumpy Bob
          • Dec 2010

Yesterday was another Bandcamp Friday - I picked up three releases as downloads which have been on rotation over the last 24h:

Magnetic Service E​.​P. by Azu Tiwaline - Interesting electronica dub by a Tunisian producer.

Name:	a0032835862_16.jpg
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	1571832

Tari Pemusnah Kuasa by Sial - energetic punk from Singapore (I think). No idea what they are singing about, but it's great fun.

Name:	a3838415722_16.jpg
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	1571833

Real Real World by Will Guthrie & James Rushford

Name:	a1172058246_16.jpg
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	1571834

Robert

Comment

• RonM
            • Apr 2008

Name:	charles lloyd tone poem.jpg
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	1571852

Charles Lloyd and the Marvels, Tone Poem

Lloyd is a saxophonist and occasional flute player with a very long and outstanding career in jazz. He has not been averse to genre-bending, and his work with this configuration is no exception. Along with an outstanding rhythm section (Reuben Rogers on bass, Eric Harland on drums) he has Bill Frisell on guitar and Greg Liesz on pedal steel. The two previous recordings featured some tracks with vocalists, the most recent with Lucinda Williams. You might wonder what a pretty classic jazz musician is doing with the likes of Lucinda Williams and Greg Liesz. The answer would be "working magic".

The new album has no vocals, but it literally sings throughout. The reviews in the jazz press have been pretty much universal raves. It's just a really fine piece of work. Lloyd is in his eighties; we can only hope he has many more albums to come.

It has been a total pleasure to listen to the ensemble. Lloyd's saxophones and flute are in the middle of the soundstage, usually positioned somewhat to the front. The drums and bass are also pretty much in the middle, and behind Lloyd. Frisell is to the left, Leisz to the right. Lots of free-form improvisation, with Frisell and Leisz duetting with Lloyd and with each other, and otherwise providing background depth to Lloyd's lead. There are occasions where the rhythm section takes over, with just outstanding drum and bass lines.

This is clearly "pure" jazz, but with a new featured instrument, the pedal steel. Frisell adds his purity of tone and melodic sensibilities. Together the ensemble is just wonderful.

Did I say I really like this album?

Ron
            Last edited by RonM; 2021-04-05, 03:15.
            LMS on a dedicated server (PiCorePlayer)
            Transporter (Ethernet) - main listen ining, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
            Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
            Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
            Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
            Radio (WiFi) - home office
            Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
            Touch x 1 - spare
            UE Radio x 1 - spare
            Boom x 1 - spare
            Controller x 1 - Spare

Comment

• d6jg
              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by RonM
              [ATTACH]34081[/ATTACH]

Lloyd is a saxophonist and occasional flute player with a very long and outstanding career in jazz. He has not been averse to genre-bending, and his work with this configuration is no exception. Along with an outstanding rhythm section (Reuben Rogers on bass, Eric Harland on drums) he has Bill Frisell on guitar and Greg Liesz on pedal steel. The two previous recordings featured some tracks with vocalists, the most recent with Lucinda Williams. You might wonder what a pretty classic jazz musician is doing with the likes of Lucinda Williams and Greg Liesz. The answer would be "working magic".

The new album has no vocals, but it literally sings throughout. The reviews in the jazz press have been pretty much universal raves. It's just a really fine piece of work. Lloyd is in his eighties; we can only hope he has many more albums to come.

It has been a total pleasure to listen to the ensemble. Lloyd's saxophones and flute are in the middle of the soundstage, usually positioned somewhat to the front. The drums and bass are also pretty much in the middle, and behind Lloyd. Frisell is to the left, Leisz to the right. Lots of free-form improvisation, with Frisell and Leisz duetting with Lloyd and with each other, and otherwise providing background depth to Lloyd's lead. There are occasions where the rhythm section takes over, with just outstanding drum and bass lines.

This is clearly "pure" jazz, but with a new featured instrument, the pedal steel. Frisell adds his purity of tone and melodic sensibilities. Together the ensemble is just wonderful.

Ron
              I’ve been listening to that on Qobuz recently and I wholeheartedly agree
              Jim

pCP9.0 / LMS 9.x storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
              Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
              Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Onkyo CRN775 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
              Kitchen WiiM Pro -> Topping MX3 - B&W In Ceiling speakers
              Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
              Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
              Guest Room Joggler > Denon RCFN8 -> Celestions F10s

Comment

• Apesbrain
                • Jun 2005

REO Speedwagon - You Can Tune A Piano, But You Can't Tuna Fish (1978)

Comment

• SlimChances
                  • Apr 2005

Queen -Under Pressure
                  Attached Files
                  Logitech Media Server Version: 9.0.0 - 1711180501 @ Sun 24 Mar 2024 02:44:46 AM CET
                  Server HTTP Port Number: 9000
                  Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8
                  Platform Architecture: aarch64-linux
                  Database Version: SQLite​

Comment

• d6jg
                    • Feb 2011

Released last week on the streamers. Waiting for my vinyl copy.

I was at this concert. The last normal thing I did BC.

Playing Your Painted Smile by Bryan Ferry from Live at the Royal Albert Hall 2020 (2021)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Jim

Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers

Comment

• garym
                      • May 2008

Originally posted by RonM

[...]

Ron
                      I couldn't agree more. Love this album. Strangely enough, I really only discovered Charles Lloyd with his last album that had Lucinda Williams on a couple of songs. But then I learned his past catalog and history fast. What an amazing musician! And Bill Frisell is a national (international!) treasure.
                      Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
                      Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
                      Office: Win11(64)>foobar2000
                      The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
                      Controllers: Material Skin, iPhone14Pro & iPadAir5 (iPeng), or CONTROLLER
                      Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

• Grumpy Bob
                        • Dec 2010

I've been listening to the latest LP from Canadian experimental music collective Godspeed You! Black Emperor, which was released last week, the curiously named G_d's Pee AT STATE'S END. I have this on vinyl, nicely produced sleeve, and the four tracks are over a 12" and a 10" records. It's still growing on me...

Name:	a1526103098_16.jpg
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	1571867

Robert

Comment

• Wirrunna
                          • Jan 2006

Coldwater Canyon on THE TANGO BAR by GREG COPELAND

Laid back bluesy americana.
                          Attached Files
                          A camel is a racehorse designed by a committee.

Seen sprayed on the outside wall of the local library -
                          Three things I hate in life :
                          1. Vandalism
                          2. Irony
                          3. Lists

Comment

• Wombat
                            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Grumpy Bob
                            I've been listening to the latest LP from Canadian experimental music collective Godspeed You! Black Emperor, which was released last week, the curiously named G_d's Pee AT STATE'S END. I have this on vinyl, nicely produced sleeve, and the four tracks are over a 12" and a 10" records. It's still growing on me...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34096[/ATTACH]

Robert
                            These recordings really need several listenings to completely unfold.
                            This one sounds even like Oldfield on some notes while simple structures like in "Fire at Static Valley" can suck me in completely.
                            Indeed a great album.
                            Transporter (modded) -> RG142 -> Avantgarde Acoustic based 500VA monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 -> self-made speakers

Comment

• d6jg
                              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Wombat
                              These recordings really need several listenings to completely unfold.
                              This one sounds even like Oldfield on some notes while simple structures like in "Fire at Static Valley" can suck me in completely.
                              Indeed a great album.
                              I’m not sure about this relatively new term - Collective. Is it different to Band in some way? It seems to be appearing in reviews everywhere.
                              Jim

Comment

• Wombat
                                • Feb 2006

Originally posted by d6jg
                                I’m not sure about this relatively new term - Collective. Is it different to Band in some way? It seems to be appearing in reviews everywhere.
                                Guess they mean it as members often change or are part of other bands, guest musicans and alike.
                                Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra and the Tra-La-La Band for example pretty much also is GY!BE plus others.
                                Transporter (modded) -> RG142 -> Avantgarde Acoustic based 500VA monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 -> self-made speakers

Comment

Working...