Album / Album Artist - tagging problems

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phinfo
    • Jan 2012

Thanks for the support, I have now everythink to clean my music.

Comment

• Skillet Liquor
      • Nov 2009

I think I'm having a similar problem, but can't seem to fix it.

On LMS v 7.7.1 (Crunchbang Linux), under the My Music/Artists tab, almost all of the artists are in perfect alphabetical order. However, about 20-25 artists are clumped in between "Vangelis" and "Various Artists". All of these artists happen to have their own full albums as well as tracks on compilations.

I initially suspected a tagging problem, so I checked some of the suspect files out using EasyTag and ExFalso. I found nothing wrong in the tags, but cleared all tags anyway. This didn't help.

Then I found this thread. Based on what indigo_daisies posted, I went into the Compilations option under the Settings/My Music tab, and changed the setting from "Group compilation albums together" to "List compilation albums under each artist". I then completely cleared and rescanned the music library. Unfortunately, this did not fix the problem.

Not sure if this is relevant, but these are FLAC files stored on a NAS.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Comment

• wowo
        • Jun 2008

Maybe you can check your tags also with Puddletag (Extended tags: ctrl+e). Or you can remove with tagtools APEv2 tags.
        Ape tags in combination with ID3 tags are causing much problems. Always use one tag format in your tags.
        "Puddletag is an audio tag editor (primarily created) for GNU/Linux similar to the Windows program, Mp3tag. Unlike most taggers for GNU/Linux, it uses a spreadsheet-like layout so that all the tags you want to edit by hand are visible and easily editable."

It is also possible to use mp3tag with wine under Linux.
        Squeezebox: 2x Touch + 2x Radio
        squeezelite-1.9.9.1372: 2x
        Plugins: Dynamic Playlists v2.10.247;Spicefly SugarCube v5.22; Trackstat v3.3.602
        NAS: QNAP TS-253D (2.00GHz; 4GB); firmware 4.5.3; QLogitechMediaserver 2.21.00 (Qnapclubstore): LogitechMediaServer 8.2.0
        Tagging: MusicBrainz Picard 2.6.2 (Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS); Puddletag 1.2.0 (Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS)
        Last.fm

Comment

• StridingEdge
          • Oct 2012

My first encounters with tagging were with WMP - that was pretty basic and I didn't encounter too many issues. When I moved to Media Jukebox, the world of tagging opened up in front of me in all it's glory and accompanying confusion. Well before coming to the Squeezebox I sussed out what worked best for me and how to tidy up and standardise the tagging. I did create a few custom fields and of course they don't get recognised by LMS but that's another issue. In short, I fill in both the ARTIST and ALBUM ARTIST fields with the same artist name for every track I have ripped/downloaded. The exception being for various artist albums and for these I enter the ALBUM ARTIST field as "Various Artists" and for the ARTIST field I give the actual artist/band name. When I did my first few LMS scans there were a few anomalies - all caused by tagging and until I used MP3Tag I couldn't see what was causing the issues. With MP3tag, I found that none of my ALBUM ARTIST tag fields had been ported across to MP3Tag, so the first thing I did was to spend an hour or so copying from the ARTIST field to the ALBUM ARTIST field. Subsequent rips now mean that I have to manually add those fields within MP3Tag after ripping and before each new LMS scan. It's no big deal and has become part and parcel of the procedure to get music onto the Touch - the only real hassle is waiting for the MP3tag application to load the initial data!

Within LMS I use "List compilation albums under each artist" / "List albums by band" / "Treat TPE2 MP3 tag as Album Artist"

Now I'm sure those of you who have a far greater understanding of the mechanics of LMS will shout that I am duplicating unnecessarily, however, I NEVER get spurious cataloguing problems within LMS. In other words, every artist is filed as I expect, every album has an entry in all fields I require and I no longer get entries in the "No Artist" and "No Album" fields within LMS.

The above doesn't work with Classical but then I don't use the Touch for classical, preferring to use the CD (but they are other issues)

Others have mentioned a "Compilation" tag but I admit to not knowing where or what this setting is; is it an external tag field or is it a setting within LMS? Either way, I use nothing that highlights a compilation other than by default within the context of the ALBUM ARTIST tag field.
          Last edited by StridingEdge; 2013-02-09, 21:22.

Comment

• Skillet Liquor
            • Nov 2009

Turns out I *did* have some tagging issues causing problems. I didn't realize that an incorrectly/carelessly tagged compilation album would basically bootstrap all of the other single-artist albums by artists on that same comp. I should have realized that. Sorry to junk up the thread!

Comment

• emalvick
              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Skillet Liquor
              Turns out I *did* have some tagging issues causing problems. I didn't realize that an incorrectly/carelessly tagged compilation album would basically bootstrap all of the other single-artist albums by artists on that same comp. I should have realized that. Sorry to junk up the thread!
              No problem... It seems it only takes one mistagged track to sometimes perpetrate to other tracks by an artist and so forth. This has happened to many with the artistsort tag. I've had one or two albums where the sort tags aren't quite right and it ends up affecting all tags by the artist because of the way LMS sets up it's artist database. From a db standpoint, it's efficient and works well, but from a practical standpoint where each file is typically its own file, such a rigid format can lead to problems if values conflict as can happen with artist and artistsort, and so on.

Comment

• Lessram
                • Sep 2013

New to Squeezebox, having an alike problem. Searching for days now but still don't know how to fix it....

I use iTunes to import all my CD's to HardDisk
                Harddisk connected to squezzebox touch
                I do not use the server software

problem is: I want to sort on AlbumArtist and NOT on Artist

In example
                Now I have 1 album by Wyclef Jean. Some songs feature guest artists.
                This ain't a compilation disc / various artists. So the tag is unused (in iTunes)
                So browsing through Squeezebox I get:
                - Wyclef Jean
                - Wyclef Jean feat. Angie Martinez
                - Wyclef Jean feat. Cypress Hill
                - Wyclef jean feat. John Foré
                - Wyclef Jean feat. Sublime
                etc
                etc

But I want this album just shown under "Wyclef Jean" (Which is the Album Artist tag)

I have several artist collections this way which makes it almost impossible to browse through the artist list. 1000s of artists show up. For Wyclef alone already abouy 20, but most terrible is Prince. For him I have over a 100 artists being "Prince feat. xxxxxxx"

Can't the Squeezebox itself not sort on AlbumArtist? I don't see this option.
                Is there a scipt/plugin to use, that forces the Squeezebox to do this?

so infact:
                how can I make it possible to sort on AlbumArtist, WITHOUT renaming the Artist tags to the same as "AlbumArtist". This because I still want to keep using iTunes.

Comment

• Mnyb
                  • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Lessram
                  New to Squeezebox, having an alike problem. Searching for days now but still don't know how to fix it....

I use iTunes to import all my CD's to HardDisk
                  Harddisk connected to squezzebox touch
                  I do not use the server software

problem is: I want to sort on AlbumArtist and NOT on Artist

In example
                  Now I have 1 album by Wyclef Jean. Some songs feature guest artists.
                  This ain't a compilation disc / various artists. So the tag is unused (in iTunes)
                  So browsing through Squeezebox I get:
                  - Wyclef Jean
                  - Wyclef Jean feat. Cypress Hill
                  - Wyclef jean feat. John Foré
                  - Wyclef Jean feat. Sublime
                  etc
                  etc

But I want this album just shown under "Wyclef Jean" (Which is the Album Artist tag)

I have several artist collections this way which makes it almost impossible to browse through the artist list. 1000s of artists show up. For Wyclef alone already abouy 20, but most terrible is Prince. For him I have over a 100 artists being "Prince feat. xxxxxxx"

Can't the Squeezebox itself not sort on AlbumArtist? I don't see this option.
                  Is there a scipt/plugin to use, that forces the Squeezebox to do this?

so infact:
                  how can I make it possible to sort on AlbumArtist, WITHOUT renaming the Artist tags to the same as "AlbumArtist". This because I still want to keep using iTunes.
                  You can add an "artistsort" tag to those files and rescan .
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
                  Bedroom/Office: Boom
                  Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
                  Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
                  iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
                  (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
                  server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Comment

• Lessram
                    • Sep 2013

So you mean;
                    Using i.e. MP3Tag creating a new tag type named "artistsort" and then copy the albumartist tags to that new tag?

or even simpler using the artist sort tag which already excists in iTunes?
                    Last edited by Lessram; 2013-09-20, 13:21.

Comment

• Lessram
                      • Sep 2013

I might be doing something wrong.....
                      In iTunes I added the main artist in the "Artist Sort" tag of iTunes. Which is seen by MP3Tag as "ARTISTSORT"

But still..... In the squeezebox (USB-Harddisk) when I select the "My Music > Artist >" option I still see. 20+ times "Wyclef Jean feat. xxxxx"

Album Artist: Wyclef Jean
                      Artist: Wyclef Jean & Angie Martinez
                      ARTISTSORT: Wyclef Jean

Still the Squeezebox is using the Artist tag to sort.
                      Am I missing some option in the menu's?

Comment

• dasmueller
                        • May 2010

I know this is not the way you want to do it, but if you are unsuccessful otherwise you might try using the ALBUM tag to show supporting artists ie-

Wyclef Jean .......
                        Wyclef Jean feat. Cypress Hill .........
                        etc.

Comment

• Lessram
                          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by dasmueller
                          I know this is not the way you want to do it, but if you are unsuccessful otherwise you might try using the ALBUM tag to show supporting artists ie-

Wyclef Jean .......
                          Wyclef Jean feat. Cypress Hill .........
                          etc.
                          Nope, impossible if it's all on the same album

I think I made a misstake (forgot some albums which also incl. feat artists) and the tip by Mnyb might do the job.
                          So a new attempt. Harddisk is being rescanned now.

Comment

• Mnyb
                            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Lessram
                            Nope, impossible if it's all on the same album

I think I made a misstake (forgot some albums which also incl. feat artists) and the tip by Mnyb might do the job.
                            So a new attempt. Harddisk is being rescanned now.
                            yes you migth have to do a full rescan to see the results .
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
                            Bedroom/Office: Boom
                            Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
                            Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
                            iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
                            (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
                            server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Comment

• Lessram
                              • Sep 2013

Nope.... still not soved.
                              Rescanning the collection takes a longggggg time. (Over 1000 albums on the harddrive)
                              So took an empty harddrive with just those Wyclef tracks, will work faster and feels more safe/secure for trial/error testing.

ARTISTSORT options but also noticed Using the empty vs. 0 vs. 1 filled "Compilation" tag makes a difference.
                              With an empty "COMP" tag I had about 20 "Wyclef feat. xxxx" artists. When I placed a 0 in the tag I suddenly had 50+ "Wyclef feat. xxxx" artists

So next attempt = "COMP=1"

Comment

• Lessram
                                • Sep 2013

Nope..... none of the options solved the problem.

Tried an SD card, to make it easier, just one directory with of artist (Wyclef)

All tracks placed under one album entitled "Wyclef Guest appearances"
                                Album Artist tag set to "Wyclef Jean"
                                Filled in the SORTARTIST tag for all songs "Wyclef Jean"
                                Only the Artist tag differs

Tried with the compilation tag COMP
                                set to "0"
                                set to "1"
                                set to [empty] (really nothing filled in)

After each attempt I deleted the folders
                                .Squeezebox
                                Playlists

(This to force a full new rescan)

But each and everytime....... still seperate artists;
                                - Wyclef Jean
                                - Wyclef Jean feat. Canibus
                                - Wyclef Jean feat. 2Pac
                                - Wyclef Jean feat. melky Sedec
                                etc.....

Anyone any idea what I could try next, to make the Squeezebox Touch (using without server) sort it in such a way that all tracks only sort under "Wyclef Jean"?

edit:
                                Tried adding another "standard" tag named "SORTALBUMARTIST" but didn't help either.
                                Last edited by Lessram; 2013-09-20, 23:33.

Comment

Working...