Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pascal Hibon
    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by kingswindsor
    Looks good, it's inspiring me to upgrade too. Could I ask where you source your library power supplies and the specs? Thanks
    Thank you!

I made the power supply PCB's myself. These where created for another project a couple of years back. And since I still had a few bare PCB's available I used those. The power supply is built around the LM350 (or NTE1929 is also an option). These are 3A adjustable regulators. Both PCB's, which are stacked upon each other by means of 45 mm standoffs, are set to output 5 volts.
    The toroid transformer has two secondary windings, one for each power supply board.

The small PCB behind the transformer in the image is a 12 volts trigger input. The player can be switched on and off by a remote device.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2768.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1570177
    Yamaha A-S3000 (sliver) -> Focal Electra 1028 Be
    1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
    1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
    ReadyNAS NVX for storage
    piCorePlayer on RPI 4B as LMS server
    iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad, Material Skin
    http://www.last.fm/user/phibon

Comment

• kingswindsor
      • Oct 2013

Originally posted by Pascal Hibon
      Thank you!

I made the power supply PCB's myself. These where created for another project a couple of years back. And since I still had a few bare PCB's available I used those. The power supply is built around the LM350 (or NTE1929 is also an option). These are 3A adjustable regulators. Both PCB's, which are stacked upon each other by means of 45 mm standoffs, are set to output 5 volts.
      The toroid transformer has two secondary windings, one for each power supply board.

The small PCB behind the transformer in the image is a 12 volts trigger input. The player can be switched on and off by a remote device.

[ATTACH]31974[/ATTACH]
      Good info, thanks Pascal but you are more advanced than I am! I am not at the stage of building one myself at the moment but is there a commercially available alternative that might be used/adapted? Switched power supplies are obviously generally available but linear power supplies to plug in and integrate seem to be difficult to find off the shelf. I do have an iFi power supply for one piCorePlayer but only noticing marginal improvements if any (but certainly no complaints).

Comment

• Pascal Hibon
        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by kingswindsor
        Good info, thanks Pascal but you are more advanced than I am! I am not at the stage of building one myself at the moment but is there a commercially available alternative that might be used/adapted? Switched power supplies are obviously generally available but linear power supplies to plug in and integrate seem to be difficult to find off the shelf. I do have an iFi power supply for one piCorePlayer but only noticing marginal improvements if any (but certainly no complaints).
        It is not necessary to build your own power supplies; there are other options readily available. For example, a search on ebay resulted with this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/LT1083-Adju...-/324221756444

There are also a lot of very good switched mode power supplies available too. Technology has come a long way and most of them are pretty quite. The key thing in this build was to separate the RPI and display from the audio parts. The RPI for example adds some noise to the power supply rail due to its processor operating.
        Yamaha A-S3000 (sliver) -> Focal Electra 1028 Be
        1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
        1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
        ReadyNAS NVX for storage
        piCorePlayer on RPI 4B as LMS server
        iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad, Material Skin
        http://www.last.fm/user/phibon

Comment

• myke2k7
          • Feb 2020

FitnessPi

Name:	fitness1.jpg
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	1570444

Comment

• Grumpy Bob
            • Dec 2010

I've put together a Pi-based server which I use as a test server and as a (relatively) portable server which I take with me when visiting family.

It's based on a Raspberry P 3B with a 2Tb SSD drive which carries a copy of my main library. I went through several iterations of this case, which used the main case body from an unused media player that I had kicking around the house. I don't much care for screens or glowing LEDs, so this is a bit Hotblack Desiato (who as I recall had a particularly black spaceship), though I did fit a red LED momentary switch on the rear of the unit. The momentary switch operates via an OnOff SHIM which connects via GPIO pins.
            The front plate attaches via magnets so it can be easily detached to allow access to the SSD drive. The microSD card is mounted via a ribbon cable adapter so it's accessible without opening the case.

This server runs on pCP 6.1.0 and LMS 8.0.1. It isn't used as a player and I generally use the web interface and the Material skin to control it.

Name:	interociter2.jpg
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	1570460Click image for larger version

Name:	interociter1.jpg
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	1570461

Robert
            Home: Raspberry Pi 4/pCP7.0/LMS8.1.2/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
            Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
            2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), 1 x SqueezeAMP
            Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
            Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP7.0.1/LMS8.1.2/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

Comment

• Greg Erskine
              • Sep 2006

Cool!

What sort of temperatures do you get using a sealed housing?

Comment

• Grumpy Bob
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Greg Erskine
                Cool!

What sort of temperatures do you get using a sealed housing?
                After several hours, it feels barely warm to the touch. The main body is aluminium, and the end plates are perspex, also there's a fair bit of space inside for air to circulate.

Robert
                Home: Raspberry Pi 4/pCP7.0/LMS8.1.2/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
                Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
                2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), 1 x SqueezeAMP
                Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
                Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP7.0.1/LMS8.1.2/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

Comment

• wtnh
                  • Mar 2010

My latest piCorePlayer build...

Name:	IMG_1094.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	1571542

The chassis came from Modushop in Italy and I had them custom CNC machine the front panel. The encoder knob is set up to allow navigation of the Jivelite display.

Inside the box is a Pi 3B+, a 3.5" Osoyoo DSI touch display, the encoder, a 5 Volt linear supply, and a Khadas Tone 1 USB DAC.

Name:	IMG_1092.jpg
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	1571543

The rear of the chassis has the RCA outputs, a WiFi dongle with an antenna, and an RF remote dongle.

Name:	IMG_1095.jpg
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1571544

I really like the Khadas DAC. You can see a review of it here.

Comment

• Howard Passman
                    • Apr 2008

Really nice work and a good looking unit. And you left yourself some room.

My current player is made from scraps of black walnut from a guitar I made 30+ years ago, a Glow Amp DAC that came free with the amplifier and an old RPI3.Not quite done yet. Need to finish the case and mount the IR sensor. Very tight interior. Because of the size it took me a lot longer than anticipated. The acrylic one was much easier :-) See bottom.

Happy Listening.

Howard

Originally posted by wtnh
                    My latest piCorePlayer build...

[ATTACH]33686[/ATTACH]

The chassis came from Modushop in Italy and I had them custom CNC machine the front panel. The encoder knob is set up to allow navigation of the Jivelite display.

Inside the box is a Pi 3B+, a 3.5" Osoyoo DSI touch display, the encoder, a 5 Volt linear supply, and a Khadas Tone 1 USB DAC.

[ATTACH]33687[/ATTACH]

The rear of the chassis has the RCA outputs, a WiFi dongle with an antenna, and an RF remote dongle.

[ATTACH]33688[/ATTACH]

I really like the Khadas DAC. You can see a review of it here.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• gmarin
                      • May 2021

Informations requets

Originally posted by piPlayer
                      Here are some Pics of my last project.
                      • Hardware
                        • RaspberryPi 1 A+
                        • HifiBerry DAC+
                        • TPA3116 amp
                        • Meanwell 15V / 75W switching power supply
                        • DC/DC step-down converter
                        • Waveshare 4,3" HDMI touch display
                        • homemade circuit board with 74HC595 shift register and relay
                        • rotary encoder
                        • 8 blue LEDs for volume and pause/stop status display
                        • aluminum case from china
                        • a cnc milled front plate

• Software
                        • PiCorePlayer 4.1.0
                        • Jivelite
                        • LMSTools
                        • pikeyd
                        • a homemade python script for controlling the shift register, the 8 LEDs and the relay

PiPlayer
                      Hi can you share the prog and the schema for the rotary encoder?
                      regards

Comment

• piPlayer
                        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by gmarin
                        Hi can you share the prog and the schema for the rotary encoder?
                        regards
                        Hello,
                        after a few software updates, I am now using the SqueezeButtonPi daemon instead. Link
                        I would also recommend you to work with it because there is an official extension for PiCorePlayer.

Regards
                        PiPlayer

Comment

• strebor56
                          • Jun 2016

Outside install

Name:	pi-patio.jpg
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	1572425

PiCorePlayer 6 in its IP65 box Polk Audio Atrium 5s asound configured to mono.

Comment

• sodface
                            • Jul 2008

Nice install strebor56!

Comment

• piPlayer
                              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by strebor56
                              ... in its IP65 box ...
                              There is no ventilation at all in such a water-protected housing. I have concerns that the Raspberry Pi and the amplifier will get too warm. Especially if the box is made of plastic.

Regards
                              PiPlayer
                              Last edited by piPlayer; 2021-06-01, 06:39.

Comment

• strebor56
                                • Jun 2016

Temperature management

Originally posted by piPlayer
                                There is no ventilation at all in such a water-protected housing. I have concerns that the Raspberry Pi and the amplifier will get too warm. Especially if the box is made of plastic.

Regards
                                PiPlayer
                                PiPlayer. the box is ABS so as you say will not conduct the heat away very well. In construction I allowed for ventilation of the front cover if necessary so will just have to keep an eye on it. The Pi is a 1A+. I will report on how it gets on over the summer.
                                Regards Strebor

Comment

Working...