Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cliver
    • Jan 2011

LMS On Asustor NAS

I'm told I can run LMS on an Asustor NAS. But search as I might I can't find out how to install it. I've found threads on updating it but not to find out where I can download and install it from. I used to have it on a headless micro PC but that along with my NAS and other bits got zapped by a ligtning strilk this weel solooking at possible alternatives. I know I could put it on a PI but I would like to reduce the number of boxes (however small) I have on the system.
    Can anyone point me to the right place please>
    Logitech Media Server Version: 8.1.2-git648d7bd@Daphile 21.04-b101500-x86_64rt
    Squeezebox Touch: Firmware: 7.7.1-r9561
    Squeezeplay 7.5.3 - r0
    Sqwueezebox Radio: Firmware: 7.7.2-r9663
  • d6jg
    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by cliver
    I'm told I can run LMS on an Asustor NAS. But search as I might I can't find out how to install it. I've found threads on updating it but not to find out where I can download and install it from. I used to have it on a headless micro PC but that along with my NAS and other bits got zapped by a ligtning strilk this weel solooking at possible alternatives. I know I could put it on a PI but I would like to reduce the number of boxes (however small) I have on the system.
    Can anyone point me to the right place please>
    But according to your signature you already have 2 Pi’s?! Why not install LMS on one of them and mount the Asustor drives via CIFS or NFS?
    Jim

pCP9.0 / LMS 9.x storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Onkyo CRN775 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Kitchen WiiM Pro -> Topping MX3 - B&W In Ceiling speakers
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Denon RCFN8 -> Celestions F10s

Comment

• cliver
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by d6jg
      But according to your signature you already have 2 Pi’s?! Why not install LMS on one of them and mount the Asustor drives via CIFS or NFS?
      One is doing other things and the other has gone belly up due to a ligtening strike on my property.
      I did have it running on an old headless mini pc but that went the same way as the much of my kit in the ligtening strike.
      Plus I want to consilidate/reduce the number of seperate boxes I have if I can.

That said, I might just go for another headless mini.
      Squeezeplay 7.5.3 - r0

Comment

• Huey11
        • Dec 2017

Originally posted by cliver
        One is doing other things and the other has gone belly up due to a ligtening strike on my property.
        I did have it running on an old headless mini pc but that went the same way as the much of my kit in the ligtening strike.
        Plus I want to consilidate/reduce the number of seperate boxes I have if I can.

That said, I might just go for another headless mini.
        Hi, I use Docker and Portainer to handle easily, on my Asustor nas, with the LMS docker. Is easiest to install and upgrade. I did notice a quite old lms app in the beta apps section. That might be installable and upgradeable as well?

Comment

• Phil
          • Oct 2021

Originally posted by Huey11
          Hi, I use Docker and Portainer to handle easily, on my Asustor nas, with the LMS docker. Is easiest to install and upgrade. I did notice a quite old lms app in the beta apps section. That might be installable and upgradeable as well?
          Hi @Huey11,
          I own an Asustor NAS too, and would like to install LMS on it. It looks like since migration to ADM4, LMS is not available anymore in App Central.
          So I would like to make it work using another way.
          I know we can find LMS source codes here : https://downloads.slimdevices.com/
          But I am not familiar with Docker and Portainer.
          Would you mind explaining the full procedure to make LMS work on NAS Asustor using these 2 applications Docker and Portainer ?
          Thanks a lot.
          Regards.
          Last edited by Phil; 2021-10-30, 22:45.

Comment

• Huey11
            • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Phil
            Hi @Huey11,
            I own an Asustor NAS too, and would like to install LMS on it. It looks like since migration to ADM4, LMS is not available anymore in App Central.
            So I would like to make it work using another way.
            I know we can find LMS source codes here : https://downloads.slimdevices.com/
            But I am not familiar with Docker and Portainer.
            Would you mind explaining the full procedure to make LMS work on NAS Asustor using these 2 applications Docker and Portainer ?
            Thanks a lot.
            Regards.
            Hi Phil, the procedure is exactly the same for ADM3 as ADM4. Basically if you follow this thread you should be able to quickly work it out: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...ibraries/page3
            With this you should be able to get it done quickly. (just leave out, as rightly noted further on, the volume bind to /etc/TZ:/etc/timezone as that folder is not present on the asustor.)

(ie install plugin dokcer-ce on the asustor, install portainer plugin on asustor. run the command on the command prompt so it will download image and run with said parameters et voila. use portainer to manage with a gui your container)

Lots of interesting other docker info in https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...for-LMS/page50

Regards

Comment

• coppochops23
              • Nov 2021

Logotech media server beta app - where?

Hi
              Just about to start putting LMS on my 6604t and have been hunting for any version of LMS that would natively run on it. I cannot find the old apps you mentioned - can you point me at them please?
              I have not used Docker before and LMS is the only package i haven;t a solution for as yet. Didn't want to set off down yet another new route if there is an easier way to get LMS going.

Thanks
              Andy

Comment

• Phil
                • Oct 2021

Hi Phil, the procedure is exactly the same for ADM3 as ADM4. Basically if you follow this thread you should be able to quickly work it out: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...ibraries/page3
                With this you should be able to get it done quickly. (just leave out, as rightly noted further on, the volume bind to /etc/TZ:/etc/timezone as that folder is not present on the asustor.)

(ie install plugin dokcer-ce on the asustor, install portainer plugin on asustor. run the command on the command prompt so it will download image and run with said parameters et voila. use portainer to manage with a gui your container)

Lots of interesting other docker info in https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...for-LMS/page50

Regards
                Thank you so much @Huey11.
                It was so easy :
                - AppCentral->Install Docker-CE
                - AppCentral->Install Portainer-CE (optional)
                - Then SSH the NAS and run (modify the volumes if necessary, especially for your music source /volume1/music, and modify PGID/PUID too) :
                Code:
                sudo docker run -d \
                --name logitech-media-server \
                --restart=always \
                --net=host \
                -v "/volume1/docker/lms/config":"/config":rw \
                -v "/volume1/music":"/music":ro \
                -v "/volume1/docker/lms/playlist":"/playlist":rw \
                -v "/etc/localtime":"/etc/localtime":ro \
                -e PGID=myPGID \
                -e PUID=myPUID \
                lmscommunity/logitechmediaserver:stable
                That's it ! It works like a charm !
                I am so happy to get LMS back, furthermore with the latest version. Great !
                Thanks again.
                Last edited by Phil; 2021-11-07, 22:44.

Comment

• RooKie
                  • May 2011

Desperate........

Originally posted by Phil
                  Thank you so much @Huey11.
                  It was so easy :
                  - AppCentral->Install Docker-CE
                  - AppCentral->Install Portainer-CE (optional)
                  - Then SSH the NAS and run (modify the volumes if necessary, especially for your music source /volume1/music, and modify PGID/PUID too) :
                  Code:
                  sudo docker run -d \
                  --name logitech-media-server \
                  --restart=always \
                  --net=host \
                  -v "/volume1/docker/lms/config":"/config":rw \
                  -v "/volume1/music":"/music":ro \
                  -v "/volume1/docker/lms/playlist":"/playlist":rw \
                  -v "/etc/localtime":"/etc/localtime":ro \
                  -e PGID=myPGID \
                  -e PUID=myPUID \
                  lmscommunity/logitechmediaserver:stable
                  That's it ! It works like a charm !
                  I am so happy to get LMS back, furthermore with the latest version. Great !
                  Thanks again.
                  I have tried to follow the instructions but failed in the the LMS cant find my libraries......I changed the - /volume1/music"."/music":ro \ to /volume1/music"."/mymusic":ro but it still does not appear except there is now a folder in the settings choice but it is empty......I have no music now - gutted! Cant navigate to anywhere from the settings - I assume that it is just in docker (Portainer as I cant access Docker on my NAS?) Any help gratefully recieved - I have been trying for two days....... No idea of what PGID and PUID are so did not change them....EDIT - changed the PGID and PUID to 1000 but still no luck... Edit - changed docker to portainer but still nothing...

****EDIT**** Problem resolved - instead of using Portainer I removed it and used the existing LMS and updated it - wow!!! I had tried this before and it would not run - crashed the server everytime I tried to upload a tarball which is why I went to Portainer.......

I went back to the upgrade route and lo it worked - now running 8.2 on the Asustor. "Phew"
                  Last edited by RooKie; 2022-03-24, 16:15. Reason: Fixed

Comment

• cliver
                    • Jan 2011

Reporting in

Hi all,
                    I've been away from this for ages. I ended up installing Daphile on a micro PC. It is great but I was still looking to reduce the number of boxes I have running so I revisited this thread.
                    And, thanks to @Huey11 input I now also have LMS 8.2.1 running in Docker on my Asustor NAS following the instructions. Can't belive how simple it was.
                    Thanks for all the input.
                    Squeezeplay 7.5.3 - r0

Comment

Working...