LMS not starting after upgrading Ubuntu to 17.10 from 17.04.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mike_zandvliet
    • Jun 2005

LMS not starting after upgrading Ubuntu to 17.10 from 17.04.

It seems every time I upgrade Ubuntu, LMS breaks on me - and being a complete Linux noob I really struggle to get it working again.

I did have it working nicely on Ubuntu 17.04, but after I upgraded to 17.10, the web interface was not working at all, and I started seeing this in the /var/log/squeezeboxserver/server.log:

2017-10-22 22:29:29 Logitech Media Server died. Restarting.
    2017-10-22 22:29:34 Logitech Media Server died. Restarting.
    2017-10-22 22:29:39 Logitech Media Server died. Restarting.

And if I execute this at the command prompt:
    squeezeboxserver

Then I get this:
    The following modules failed to load: DBI EV XML::Parser::Expat HTML::Parser JSON::XS Digest::SHA1 Sub::Name

After some time googling, I am *guessing* that this has something to do with the version of Perl that LMS needs vs the version that Ubuntu has.

How can I solve this?

I have tried reinstalling 7.9.0 and also installing 7.9.1.1508251793 (from the nightlies... is there a better place to get 7.9.1 from?). Neither install helped.

Thanks in advance,
    Mike
  • drmatt
    • Apr 2013

If it's perl version then you'll need to build the perl modules from the LMS sources. There is a procedure for this kicking around somewhere..

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

Comment

• DJanGo
      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by mike_zandvliet
      being a complete Linux noob I really struggle to get it working again.
      If your Linux Noob please use Ubuntu LTS -> Long Time Support.
      • Perl never gets upgraded by a LTS upgrade
      • You have more time and a up 2 date system than alwyas struggeling with these non LTS Versions

Comment

• cdmackay
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by drmatt
        If it's perl version then you'll need to build the perl modules from the LMS sources. There is a procedure for this kicking around somewhere..
        Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
        I think this is the thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...-contained-LMS

I need to do this, since mine is broken since Debian unstable went to Perl 5.26 (I think).

Comment

• Ge Ba
          • Apr 2017

Originally posted by DJanGo
          If your Linux Noob please use Ubuntu LTS -> Long Time Support.
          +1
          Servers: Logitech Media Server: 8.4.0 on Raspberry Pi 4B/Max2Play with TIDAL local.
          Players: SB Radio, RPi 3B+/pCP @Marshall Acton, RPi 4B/Max2Play @Denon AVR-X4500H, AVM M30 @Nubert NuLine/NuVero 5.1, Google Hub & ChromeCast Audio.

Comment

• mike_zandvliet
            • Jun 2005

Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone - good pointers, especially the link to Roland's very detailed steps to build Perl & LMS. Those are a bit over my head tho' - and being strapped for time, I'll instead move LMS over to my Windows server, where I won't be struggling with basic noob-ness.

On a side note, I think that's a good call on sticking with LTS versions of Ubuntu. Until now my desire to solve some long-standing interop issues with our Windows PC's and the Samba shares on Ubuntu, plus many other minor annoyances, has meant that I have updated Ubuntu every time a new release comes out, hoping those issues will go away. But all I've really accomplished is to repeatedly break my LMS and other software, and the annoyances are all still there. So going forward, I'll take your advice and stick with LTS releases - starting with the next one whenever that is.

Big ups by the way to the people that keep this community going. My SB2 appreciates it!

Cheers,
            Mike

Comment

Working...