BETA: piCorePlayer6.0.0 - PI4 support

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paul-
    • Jan 2013

Should probably take the LMS 8 discussion to another thread......
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Comment

• paul-
      • Jan 2013

Ronnie,

I have the separate board that has the remove interface too, but I suspect the power button works the same. I'll try to dig it out and test it.

Paul

Comment

• carsten_h
        • Apr 2019

Hello!

I want to use a Raspberry Pi 4 as a LMS server with the piCorePlayer installation. This will be no problem.
        I want to place this into this case: https://www.argon40.com/catalog/prod...rry-pi-4-case/
        This case has a software for using the Power-Button together with eg. Raspbian.

Does anyone know if this software button will also work somehow together with piCorePlayer? So is it possible to switch it off gracefully with the button?
        This case has also been available for older Raspberry Pi.

The script for the button and the fan seems to be this one: https://download.argon40.com/argon1.sh
        Pi4 4GB piCorePlayer with LMS and Squeezelite for USB inside an Argon One case
        Pi3B+ (7" Display, Hifiberry DAC+ Pro) piCorePlayer with Squeezlite/Jivelite for Hifiberry inside a SmartiPi touch case
        Pi Zero W only for Bluetooth headphones
        Two Airport Express
        Ikea Symfonisk

Comment

• Man in a van
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by paul-
          Ronnie,

I have the separate board that has the remove interface too, but I suspect the power button works the same. I'll try to dig it out and test it.

Paul

Thanks Paul, in your own time. I'm helping a chap on another forum who has the same set-up.

Just to reiterate that the power button and script work with pCP v5.0.1 on the rpi3B.

As an aside, I used this set up on the Rasbian Stretch OS in 2018, I'll try to remember (google) the install routine and give it a go on Buster when I get a chance.

cheers

ronnie

Comment

• pputzer
            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Man in a van
            Thanks Paul, in your own time. I'm helping a chap on another forum who has the same set-up.

Just to reiterate that the power button and script work with pCP v5.0.1 on the rpi3B.
            Have you tried doing it without the script and instead using dtoverlay? You'll have to check if the GPIO pins are the same, but I've had success with these settings and the PI-SPC II board by Audiophonics.

Comment

• paul-
              • Jan 2013

Originally posted by carsten_h
              Hello!

I want to use a Raspberry Pi 4 as a LMS server with the piCorePlayer installation. This will be no problem.
              I want to place this into this case: https://www.argon40.com/catalog/prod...rry-pi-4-case/
              This case has a software for using the Power-Button together with eg. Raspbian.

Does anyone know if this software button will also work somehow together with piCorePlayer? So is it possible to switch it off gracefully with the button?
              This case has also been available for older Raspberry Pi.

The script for the button and the fan seems to be this one: https://download.argon40.com/argon1.sh
              It's using gpio to shutdown, so it should work just fine. You won't use that script, you just need to know what GPIO pins you are hooked up to.....and there are options in the tweaks page of our interface.

Comment

• Aldoszx
                • Jan 2020

It's using gpio to shutdown, so it should work just fine. You won't use that script, you just need to know what GPIO pins you are hooked up to.....and there are options in the tweaks page of our interface.
                I also have this RPi4 case.
                From the script itself, i saw that: 'shutdown_pin=4'.
                I suppose that is the pin used for shutdown command.
                And, it must be pulled down: 'pull_up_down=GPIO.PUD_DOWN'

Comment

• carsten_h
                  • Apr 2019

Originally posted by Aldoszx
                  I also have this RPi4 case.'
                  Oh, great!
                  I saw that the fan is controlled by the software to use different speeds at different temperatures. There is a software running in background for this.
                  I think this will not be available in piCorePlayer installation.

Is the fan running at full speed when no software is running or is it shut off completely?
                  Pi3B+ (7" Display, Hifiberry DAC+ Pro) piCorePlayer with Squeezlite/Jivelite for Hifiberry inside a SmartiPi touch case
                  Two Airport Express
                  Ikea Symfonisk

Comment

• paul-
                    • Jan 2013

Some use a user space program, but There is fan control in the kernel..... not sure if they use this or not?

Comment

• gegen
                      • Oct 2010

LMS 8 on piCorePlayer

Is it possible to install LMS 8 on piCorePlayer v6.0.0-b7 ?

Comment

• kidstypike
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gegen
                        Yes.
                        Pi5 .. pCP 9beta5 .. LMS 8.4 -- nomysqueezebox
                        Study - Pi2B .. S.M.S.L SU-1 .. Q Acoustics M20
                        Snug/TV .. DAC32 .. Audio Engine B2
                        Spares - 1xSBTouch, 1xSB3, 4xRPi, AVI DM5 speakers

Comment

• kidstypike
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gegen
                          Sorry, struggling to find instructions, found them now -

Just replace 7.9.2 with 8.0.0 in step 5.
                          Pi5 .. pCP 9beta5 .. LMS 8.4 -- nomysqueezebox
                          Study - Pi2B .. S.M.S.L SU-1 .. Q Acoustics M20
                          Snug/TV .. DAC32 .. Audio Engine B2
                          Spares - 1xSBTouch, 1xSB3, 4xRPi, AVI DM5 speakers

Comment

• carsten_h
                            • Apr 2019

Some use a user space program, but There is fan control in the kernel..... not sure if they use this or not?
                            This is the part to create the daemon for temperature checking (it is running as a service later:
                            Code:
                            echo 'def temp_check():' >> $powerbuttonscript
                            echo '	fanconfig = ["65=100", "60=55", "55=10"]' >> $powerbuttonscript
                            echo '	tmpconfig = load_config("'$daemonconfigfile'")' >> $powerbuttonscript
                            echo '	if len(tmpconfig) > 0:' >> $powerbuttonscript
                            echo '		fanconfig = tmpconfig' >> $powerbuttonscript
                            echo '	address=0x1a' >> $powerbuttonscript
                            echo '	prevblock=0' >> $powerbuttonscript
                            echo '	while True:' >> $powerbuttonscript
                            echo '		temp = os.popen("vcgencmd measure_temp").readline()' >> $powerbuttonscript
                            echo '		temp = temp.replace("temp=","")' >> $powerbuttonscript
                            echo '		val = float(temp.replace("'"'"'C",""))' >> $powerbuttonscript
                            echo '		block = get_fanspeed(val, fanconfig)' >> $powerbuttonscript
                            echo '		if block < prevblock:' >> $powerbuttonscript
                            echo '			time.sleep(30)' >> $powerbuttonscript
                            echo '		prevblock = block' >> $powerbuttonscript
                            echo '		try:' >> $powerbuttonscript
                            echo '			bus.write_byte(address,block)' >> $powerbuttonscript
                            echo '		except IOError:' >> $powerbuttonscript
                            echo '			temp=""' >> $powerbuttonscript
                            echo '		time.sleep(30)' >> $powerbuttonscript
                            They are reading the temperature with "vcgencmd measure_temp" and if it reaches the next step from the config they call this:
                            Code:
                            bus.write_byte(address,block)
                            where address is 0x1a and block is the fanspeed from config.

I don't know what this bus.write_byte is doing. Maybe it is enough to write this a single time to have the fan running always at the same speed?
                            Two Airport Express
                            Ikea Symfonisk

Comment

• Aldoszx
                              • Jan 2020

Originally posted by carsten_h
                              Oh, great!
                              I saw that the fan is controlled by the software to use different speeds at different temperatures. There is a software running in background for this.
                              I think this will not be available in piCorePlayer installation.

Is the fan running at full speed when no software is running or is it shut off completely?
                              The fan is off until install the control script.

Comment

• carsten_h
                                • Apr 2019

Originally posted by Aldoszx
                                The fan is off until install the control script.
                                Ok, are you using it together with the piCorePlayer installation?
                                Two Airport Express
                                Ikea Symfonisk

Comment

Working...