Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • froth
    • Jun 2007

Need recommendation to replace dead classic 3

One of my classic 3 devices has died. I would prefer not to buy used Logitech slimdevices product given the prices for them and the uncertainty of their longevity. With that I am looking to start introducing other hardware alternative that will work with my current squeezebox eco system.

Any suggestions? I could with direction build something but also wondering about any built out kits?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • tcutting
    • May 2008

Originally posted by froth
    One of my classic 3 devices has died. I would prefer not to buy used Logitech slimdevices product given the prices for them and the uncertainty of their longevity. With that I am looking to start introducing other hardware alternative that will work with my current squeezebox eco system.

Any suggestions? I could with direction build something but also wondering about any built out kits?

Thanks

The obvious choice is a RaspberryPi based player. Combine a RaspberryPi, official screen (if desired), I/O hat (plug-in card to the RPi)- can get something to provide Audio out like HiFiBerry DAC+, provide digital interface to external DAC (or to home-theater receiver) like the HiFiBerry Digi+. I use PiCorePlayer - can download the image to the microSD card, and it provides a full featured Squeezebox player (and can even install LMS and run it on the RPi too). There are a lot of variations, but I have two fully integrated players into my Squeezebox eco-system with the unique features I want. PiCorePlayer is well supported on this forum, and they continue to improve it.

Comment

• JeffHart
      • Feb 2009

I'll second the RPi recommendation, currently using an RPi for my LMS, fortunately all of my Squeezeboxen are still working well, but will definitely go the RPi route if I ever need to expand or replace one of my receivers.
      "You know, I'm all for progress. It's change I object to."
      Mark Twain

LMS 8.0.1 on Raspberry Pi4 w/256GB SD
      5 Receivers, 1 Boom, 2 Radios, 1 Controller, 1 Raspberry Pi 3b running piCorePlayer, 1 iPhone & 1 iPad w/iPeng, 1 Android phone w/Squeezer and a Raspberry Pi Zero W running piCorePlayer Velcro’d to a JBL Boombox

Comment

• froth
        • Jun 2007

Thanks guys. I will look into building out a RPi player.

Comment

• Apesbrain
          • Jun 2005

Here is an Amazon parts list:

And, here are instructions: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...iFiBerry-board
          Last edited by Apesbrain; 2017-04-20, 15:26.

Comment

• iPhone
            • Oct 2007

SonicOrbiter SE

The Rpi looks like the most cost effective way if one knows how to assemble some parts and install the firmware/software. I have seen some for sell already built and tested for like an additional $75 over the price of parts (currently can't find the link).

Most of the available commercial network music players worth having in a stereo system start around $300 and go into the thousands plus one still needs a DAC, for example the $298 SonicOrbiter SE. But on the up side several of these new more expensive NMP are ROON Certified if that is a direction one wishes to build toward in the future.

Of course there is still a small supply of brand new old stock Transporter SE units for sell if one wants a brand new Slim Devices NMP. When looking at used Squeezeboxen on the Internet and not knowing their actual condition or how much they have been used, a brand new Transporter SE for $499 is not a bad deal considering one doesn't have to build it or buy a DAC, plus the bonus of keeping everything Slim Devices.
            Last edited by iPhone; 2017-04-20, 15:50. Reason: after thought
            iPhone
            Media Room:
            ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
            Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
            Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
            Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
            Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
            Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
            Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
            Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

Comment

• TheLastMan
              • Mar 2008

iPhone, good to see you back mate! You were a stalwart of these forums and a fount of knowledge for a long time and then just disappeared. Iwas a bit worried something serious had happened. I won't ask where you went! Looking forward to your continued participation...
              Matt

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
              Matt
              SqueezeBoxes: 2 x piCorePlayers
              Server: One of the piCorePlayers
              Livingroom: pCP, Linn LP12, Naim 72/Hi-cap/110/Headline amp, B&W CM2 speakers
              Dining: piCorePlayer, Steljes NS3 active speakers

Comment

Working...