How do I uninstall LMS using the command line?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SangSomBucket
    • Apr 2012

How do I uninstall LMS using the command line?

Hi,

I am about to migrate from one NAS where my LMS is installed, to another.

They have different architectures. The old one is Intel x86, the newer one is ARM.

I have posted about this migration in the ReadyNAS support forums and have been advised to uninstall the apps first.

I can't do this in the GUI since, with the more recent versions of LMS, they have been installed using the CLI.
    The version of LMS currently installed is 8.1.1

One thing I absolutely do not want to lose, is all the track ratings with the TrackStat plugin.

So my question is, I guess I have to uninstall LMS on the old NAS, how do I go about doing that in the CLI?
    If any further information is needed in order to be able to help, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

p.s. once I complete the migration, can I verify that the version I will need to install on the ARM-based NAS is:
    Logitech Media Server: Debian Installer Package (ARM) / logitechmediaserver_8.1.2~1618550311_arm.deb from here? Thanks.
    Last edited by SangSomBucket; 2021-04-19, 16:42.
  • Jaca
    • Nov 2012

I don't understand how unistalling lms on old NAS will unsure you do not lose your settings and plugin stats? Seems weird.. Surely if you uninstall it on old NAS without backing up first you will loose everything..

What Am I missing here? Hmm

I would think you need to backup your LMS config folder from old NAS, install lms on new NAS and copy config content.. That's how it works with docker versions, I think should do with ordinary LMS install too..
    3x Squeezebox Touch, 4x Squeezebox Radio, 2x SqueezeAMP, Squeezebox Receiver, PiCorePlayer (RPi 3B with HiFiBerry DAC+Pro), Material Skin Apk, SqueezePlayer Apk, Squeezelite-X, Logitech Media Server Version: 8.4.0 with Material Skin (Docker in DS218+)

Comment

• SpiderJon
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by SangSomBucket
      Hi,

I am about to migrate from one NAS where my LMS is installed, to another.

One thing I absolutely do not want to lose, is all the track ratings with the TrackStat plugin.
      Basically, install LMS on the new system, then copy over the data you want to keep from the old system.

The answer to a similar question at

may well be of use.
      Duet x 3, via various hi-fi. LMS running on Raspberry Pi OS (Debian 10) + OMV on a Pi4 (4GB RAM) in an Argon Neo case.

Comment

• SangSomBucket
        • Apr 2012

Thank you both for taking the time to reply.

Yes, of course, if I can keep all my LMS configurations, settings, plugins and their respective data too - that would be fantastic. The ideal situation is for me to take the HDDs from my existing NAS, slot them into the 'new' NAS, install LMS and for it to pick up from where I left it on the older NAS.

However, the complicating factor here is that I'm moving from x86 to ARM otherwise this probably wouldn't even be an issue.

Does LMS separate all user settings and configurations from the main program? If so, then uninstalling LMS should only result in uninstalling the core LMS files? Install the ARM version of LMS on the new NAS and 🤞 it looks for those user settings and configurations in the same locations and all should be good… or am I making some bad assumptions?

I'm also confused about where LMS is run from, the memory of the NAS or from the HDD?

If the former, then it won't need uninstalling as it stays on the old x86 NAS, shove the HDDs into the new ARM NAS, install LMS and as long as all my user files, settings and configs are in the same directories on the HDD, then all should be well. If the latter, then I need to uninstall the x86 version of LMS and backup all the necessary files before installing the ARM version then putting my saved files where they need to be.

Am I making sense or just completely making a simple situation more complicated than it needs to be? 😁

Comment

• d6jg
          • Feb 2011

Thank you both for taking the time to reply.

Yes, of course, if I can keep all my LMS configurations, settings, plugins and their respective data too - that would be fantastic. The ideal situation is for me to take the HDDs from my existing NAS, slot them into the 'new' NAS, install LMS and for it to pick up from where I left it on the older NAS.

However, the complicating factor here is that I'm moving from x86 to ARM otherwise this probably wouldn't even be an issue.

Does LMS separate all user settings and configurations from the main program? If so, then uninstalling LMS should only result in uninstalling the core LMS files? Install the ARM version of LMS on the new NAS and 🤞 it looks for those user settings and configurations in the same locations and all should be good… or am I making some bad assumptions?

I'm also confused about where LMS is run from, the memory of the NAS or from the HDD?

If the former, then it won't need uninstalling as it stays on the old x86 NAS, shove the HDDs into the new ARM NAS, install LMS and as long as all my user files, settings and configs are in the same directories on the HDD, then all should be well. If the latter, then I need to uninstall the x86 version of LMS and backup all the necessary files before installing the ARM version then putting my saved files where they need to be.

Am I making sense or just completely making a simple situation more complicated than it needs to be? 😁
          I fear you are making dangerous assumptions. You say “disks” - is the existing NAS running Raid?
          Jim

pCP9.0 / LMS 9.x storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
          Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
          Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Onkyo CRN775 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
          Kitchen WiiM Pro -> Topping MX3 - B&W In Ceiling speakers
          Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
          Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
          Guest Room Joggler > Denon RCFN8 -> Celestions F10s

Comment

• SangSomBucket
            • Apr 2012

Yes, the existing NAS has 2 x 3TB HDDs in a RAID 1 configuration.

Comment

• gordonb3
              • Dec 2020

Since apparently this runs some Debian based system:
              sudo apt-get remove [package name]
              This will remove the package but keep all the settings

Given that on the NAS users forum this action was recommended for transferring your existing disk(s) to the new machine it seems plausible that LMS is being run from the disk. This may mean that the whole OS runs from disk in which case the NAS will likely boot in some service mode where you can reset the system partition on the disk to default and it may even ask you to repartition the disk if the newer NAS requires a larger system partition.

Hence: make sure to have a backup before you start.

Comment

• d6jg
                • Feb 2011

I wouldn’t take Raid 1 disks out of an Intel based NAS and stick them into an ARM machine unless I had a complete backup. Highly likely that the new NAS will want to repartition the Disks.

Are both NASs from same manufacturer and running the same version of firmware?
                Jim

Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers

Comment

• SangSomBucket
                  • Apr 2012

Originally posted by d6jg
                  Are both NASs from same manufacturer and running the same version of firmware?
                  Yes & yes.

Comment

• d6jg
                    • Feb 2011

Yes & yes.
                    You might be lucky then.
                    Make sure you have a full backup though.

With regard to moving LMS. If you dig around on here you will find documentation. The key is to copy the prefs file & folder but remove the servers ID - it is unique to each instance of LMS - and let the new LMS re-populate. As to Trackstat I don't use so can't say but if you post into the relevant thread in 3rd Party Software someone will be able to advise.

If it was me doing it I would get another pair of disks and start from scratch on the new NAS, then switch off LMS on old and copy whatever I needed across from the old NAS to new. Its more expensive obviously, but cleaner as you will end up with only what you need and you won't need to uninstall anything before starting just switch LMS off. You could also swap IPs on the two NAS so that your clients don't need reconfiguration.

I take it you have rejected the idea of getting a Pi (or other machine) for LMS and pointing at the files on the existing NAS via NFS or CIFS? You don't say what else your run on the old NAS.
                    Jim

Comment

• SangSomBucket
                      • Apr 2012

Thanks for additional replies.

Isn't it good practice for user settings, config files etc. to be stored outside of the core program files? So, wouldn't uninstalling a program leave those files untouched?

I have actually got new disks and that possibly is an option as a way to go though may have its own complications. I'm migrating from a NAS with an Intel x86 processor and 2x3TB HDDs to a NAS with an ARM processor where I have 2x12TB HDDs ready to go. From what I understand, the best way to go about this, is to move both 3TB HDDs from the old NAS to the new NAS then replace one of the 3TB HDDs with one of the 12TB HDDs, let the NAS RAID setup do it thing of syncing all the data from the 3TB to the 12TB HDD then replace the other 3TB HDD and let that process happen again.

End result, all data should be on the new NAS in the larger capacity HDDs.

However, the difference in processor architecture is a complicating factor. If the new NAS was also Intel x86 then I probably wouldn't even have to uninstall any apps, just hot swap the HDDs one-at-a-time and let them sync. Anyway, although related, this could be going a bit off-topic and I need to probably update my thread on the ReadyNAS support forums.

Re: running LMS on a Raspberry Pi, I haven't found any issues with running it from the NAS. The other stuff on it or run from the NAS is Plex and backups for computers in our household.

Comment

Working...