Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 125 of 255 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126127135175225 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,250 of 2548

Quick show of hands

Before a boat-load of time is put into something that only one or two people will ever use, can we have a quick show of hands....

For mounting a drive or a share containing music to the Wandboard to use it as a LMS server, who is doing what? I figure the 4 choices are, you mount a NFS share from another 'nix box, mount a Windows (cifs) share (Windows or exported via samba), plug in a USB drive, (which is most likely going to be formatted either NTFS or extX), or possibly least likely for storing music, use the SATA header.

The question is, how many people are mounting a remote Windows share?
    Last edited by JackOfAll; 2014-02-05 at 05:46.

Quote Originally Posted by JackOfAll View Post
    Before a boat-load of time is put into something that only one or two people will ever use, can we have a quick show of hands....

For mounting a drive or a share containing music to the Wandboard to use it as a LMS server, who is doing what? I figure the 4 choices are, you mount a NFS share from another 'nix box, mount a Windows (cifs) share (Windows or exported via samba), plug in a USB drive, (which is most likely going to be formatted either NTFS or extX), or possibly least likely for storing music, use the SATA header.

I have a USB-drive plugged into to the wandboard. I have no problems making changes to fstab the first time with a new image. However, it would be nice to be able to umount it through the web-gui instead of ssh into the WB to umount it everytime I wants to add new music to it.

I will be using the Wandboard in three different configurations:

1. In a MSQUEEZE configuration. Here I use a fat32 formatted hard drive connected via USB. I use rsync to synchronize the contents with my NAS. Rsync is initiated from the NAS. I use fat32 to have easy compatibility between Linux and Windows environments.

2. As a player with LMS running. In this case I'm mounting a network share from my NAS using CIFS.

3. As a player connected to a remote LMS. No mounting required here.
    Last edited by Pascal Hibon; 2014-02-05 at 09:30.
    Cambridge Audio 851D-S -> Focal MP1200 -> Focal Electra 1028 Be
    1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
    1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
    ReadyNAS NVX for storage
    RPI 2B running LMS 7.9.2.
    iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad.
    http://www.last.fm/user/phibon

I'm using a Windows share, and will probably continue to do so, as my whole home network is Windows Active Directory based. Nothing against Linux, it's just that I know Windows best ...
    On the other hand, as long as I can get access via SSH I can do the mounting from command-line, no need to spend time on a GUI for that
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004 + TMA Premium 905 + TMA Premium 901 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2 + BK Monolith+ FF + Lenovo T460 + Kodi + Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    Workshop: iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
    Wherever needed: Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
    Kitchen: iPhone 5s + iPeng (local playback activated) + NAD 312 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2
    Headphone (cozy corner): Lenovo T550 + Squeezelite-X + Cyrus Soundkey + Topping A30 + Focal Elear
    Car: TBC ...

OK, thanks guys.

What I'm really trying to get at here, is whether anything really needs to be more complicated than what I originally did, "/storage" being the single mount point and either mounting a partition from a USB drive or remote fs on it. It's going to get way too complicated, when considering mounting something and then also having the gui take care of sharing the mount via samba and nfs. (That was asked for before, and is being asked for again, now.) This was already dealt with, by using the VortexBox layout of having the single mount point, /storage, and having it shared via nfs and samba out of the box.

Pascal, do you always use one or the other. ie. a USB drive mounted with your media on it, or a cifs share. Not use both together?

What I'm thinking is continue with /storage being the media mount. If you guys are doing things like rsync, you are using the cmd line anyway, you are not using the gui and probably have the skills to create a new directory and mount something to it.

There needs to good a good out-of-the-box experience for the people who just expect to plug and play, rather than having to use editors or know about things like fstab. It almost does need to be dumbed down, I think, so someone plugs a USB drive in, it is shown visually somehow by the web-gui, and you are given an option of one or more partitions that you could mount to /storage. (Or assuming, the drive doesn't have any partitions, create one and mount it.) That's level one.

Level two, for the slightly more technical, use a remote network share, in which case it is expected that you know the share details, credentials, etc. and can type them into the relevant fields.

Level three, well, you're on your own there. It's called the cmd line.

That would be me then

[QUOTE=JackOfAll;770298]OK, thanks guys.

"There needs to good a good out-of-the-box experience for the people who just expect to plug and play."

Not totally cmd line challenged but time line yes.

With this in mind is there any chance of producing a changelog on the Community Squeeze page updates so that I can figure out what has been changed.

I'm a little unusual in that i'm using CSOS for somewhat more than it was intended, having 1 SATA and 3 USB (a mixture of ext4 and NTFS) drives permanently connected to the WB plus a couple of other USBs that get connected on occasion for backups which are all then shared over my network.

Effectively, the WB has become a NAS replacement as well as LMS server and player. My main motivation for doing this is the very low energy requirements compared to running other alternatives, and in general I am very happy with its performance for all these tasks. The long term costs of running this compared to a 386 alternative, more than justified buying the Wandboard.

For me, having Samba / NFS mounting available through the Web GUI is of little real consequence as I can just as easily run up a SSH session, although at times it would be handy.

BUT, for others who may not so comfortable with Linux, I think this could be a much more important feature. For reference I'd suggest having a look at what Vortexbox does. From reading VB users posts here and over at the VB forum (and having spent a few months using it myself), many really appreciate the ease with which it can be set up through the Web interface with little knowledge of the underlying OS. They have a lot of novice users who care little for learning stuff like terminal commands to mount a network drive.

For CSOS, i'm sure the target user base must be very similar to that of VB - if you are going to the effort of creating a whole hardware & software system, why limit it to those who have the knowledge (or are prepared to learn)? I'm sure we all want as many CSOS uses as possible, be they plug'n'players or geeks like us

I realise making all this functionality takes considerable efforts, and judging the best direction for those efforts is not my call. But I really do want to see CSOS progress and pull in plenty of new people along the way. Just wish I could be more help!

OK, thanks guys.

What I'm really trying to get at here, is whether anything really needs to be more complicated than what I originally did, "/storage" being the single mount point and either mounting a partition from a USB drive or remote fs on it. It's going to get way too complicated, when considering mounting something and then also having the gui take care of sharing the mount via samba and nfs. (That was asked for before, and is being asked for again, now.) This was already dealt with, by using the VortexBox layout of having the single mount point, /storage, and having it shared via nfs and samba out of the box.

Pascal, do you always use one or the other. ie. a USB drive mounted with your media on it, or a cifs share. Not use both together?

What I'm thinking is continue with /storage being the media mount. If you guys are doing things like rsync, you are using the cmd line anyway, you are not using the gui and probably have the skills to create a new directory and mount something to it.

There needs to good a good out-of-the-box experience for the people who just expect to plug and play, rather than having to use editors or know about things like fstab. It almost does need to be dumbed down, I think, so someone plugs a USB drive in, it is shown visually somehow by the web-gui, and you are given an option of one or more partitions that you could mount to /storage. (Or assuming, the drive doesn't have any partitions, create one and mount it.) That's level one.

Level two, for the slightly more technical, use a remote network share, in which case it is expected that you know the share details, credentials, etc. and can type them into the relevant fields.

Level three, well, you're on your own there. It's called the cmd line.
    When I was thinking about the lua gui, I was thinking that people would have one or two mounts and that we could probably have say 3 pre-defined mount points - say /storage1 /storage2 /storage3 and allow users to use these for local or remote mounts.

I do think there is a case for simple samba server -as touch does, but only to export local disks which are mounted - so this would be a checkbox for export for a mount and then details for a sharing account and password for the share. I suspect nfs would be too niche....?

Quote Originally Posted by Triode View Post
    When I was thinking about the lua gui, I was thinking that people would have one or two mounts and that we could probably have say 3 pre-defined mount points - say /storage1 /storage2 /storage3 and allow users to use these for local or remote mounts.

I do think there is a case for simple samba server -as touch does, but only to export local disks which are mounted - so this would be a checkbox for export for a mount and then details for a sharing account and password for the share. I suspect nfs would be too niche....?
    I'm not going to go back to a clean F19 image right now, but IIRC we already have samba configured out-of-the-box to work on the assumption that your media drive/share is mounted to /storage and using the VortexBox directory structure. Cant remember whether nfs was pre-configured. I think that I added an entry to exports for /storage but commented it.

I think it might be easier for a show and tell, rather than try and explain in words, which is not going to happen until tomorrow. I've been re-working the "storage" functionality in the Java web-gui. Completely dumbing it down, if you like. /storage is the only mount point. You either mount a local partition to it, or remote (nfs or cifs). Mount and unmount buttons. And a button to create the VB directory structure. The idea being, by dumbing the whole thing down, it just works, without needing to edit samba and nfs config, just use what is pre-configured. And the more I think about it, this is the way to go. Get this working 100% and then consider having more mount points. Have LMS preconfigured out of the box to use the pre-defined directory structure.

plug in a USB drive, (which is most likely going to be formatted either NTFS or extX), or possibly least likely for storing music, use the SATA header.
    I would expect many external USB drives to be formatted FAT32.

Why do you expect SATA to be least likely for storing music, other than the planned case not being able to hold a disk drive? If I were to set up a Wandboard Quad to function as both a server and player, I'd want to use the SATA connection with an internal HDD. If the planned enclosure won't hold a 2.5" drive then I won't want the enclosure.