Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Madfox View Post
    I have no idea how to change the language variable, looks like it dislikes being run as root as well, but that might be just a warning?
    Oh, what a pity!
    I didn't know that LMS refuses being run as root. So we are back right at the start and need to get it run as a different user. I'm sorry. At this point I can't help you, because I have no experience with Tomato. However, I found this small tut http://tomatousb.org/tut:adding-your-own-users.
    With this in hand, try creating logitechmediaserver:daemon user/groups yourself, edit /opt/etc/logitechmediaserver.conf as before, and re-install again telling the installer to keep the configuration (this last step is necessary to change owner+file permissions of LMS' related files to that user).

In contrast, setting the LANG variable is easy. It is read in by my LMS start script from /opt/etc/LANG. So doing something like this should be sufficient:
    Code:
    echo en_US.utf8 >/opt/etc/LANG
    Change this appropriate to your country.
    Note that 'utf8' tells LMS what charcater encoding to use when reading filenames from your drive. So also adapt this to your needs.
    Squeezebox Classic,
    Squeezebox Radio,
    Squeezebox Server 7.7.2 running on Asus RT-N16, DD-WRTv24
    (Kernel 2.6.24.111, Perl-Version: 5.8.8 - mipsel-linux-thread-multi, DBD::SQLite 1.34_01 (sqlite 3.7.7.1))

E3200 has too less RAM

I'm not that familiar with Linux at all but I have been trying to get this package to work on my linksys e3200 running tomato 1.14 from shibbly.
    Btw, I see that Linksys E3200 only has 64MB of RAM. Unfortunately this is too less for LMS. LMS is completely written in Perl, thus it is very resource-hungry and needs typically around 100MB of RAM. Unbelievable, but true....
    So I'm not sure whether you should really invest any more work in getting this run on your E3200. Because in order to get it working you would also need swap. This means in turn that LMS will run very slowly.
    (I don't know whether Tomato has swap-support at all).

So, my suggestion would be buying a Raspberry Pi and run a SqueezePlug on it http://www.squeezeplug.eu/.
    Squeezebox Classic,
    Squeezebox Radio,
    (Kernel 2.6.24.111, Perl-Version: 5.8.8 - mipsel-linux-thread-multi, DBD::SQLite 1.34_01 (sqlite 3.7.7.1))

I'm stubborn and I would really like it if at least I got it to work (I do have a SWAP partition on the HDD that is attached via USB). I also have the feeling its almost working, I got this in the logs now:

server.log
    Code:
    2013-11-14 17:16:23 logitechmediaserver_safe started.
    safe.log
    Code:
    perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
    perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
    	LANGUAGE = (unset),
    	LC_ALL = (unset),
    	LANG = "en_US.utf8"
        are supported and installed on your system.
    perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
    Your locale was detected as C, you may have problems with non-Latin filenames.  Consider changing your LANG variable to the correct locale, i.e. en_US.utf8
    I found this: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wl_command#locale

so "wl country" gives me: EU (EU/0) EUROPEAN UNION

I guess my question is: how do I know the correct locale setting (I live in the netherlands, so nl_NL.utf8, doesn't work btw :P ).

I'm stubborn and I would really like it if at least I got it to work (I do have a SWAP partition on the HDD that is attached via USB). I also have the feeling its almost working, I got this in the logs now:

server.log
    Code:
    2013-11-14 17:16:23 logitechmediaserver_safe started.
    safe.log
    Code:
    perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
    perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
    	LANGUAGE = (unset),
    	LC_ALL = (unset),
    	LANG = "en_US.utf8"
        are supported and installed on your system.
    perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
    Your locale was detected as C, you may have problems with non-Latin filenames.  Consider changing your LANG variable to the correct locale, i.e. en_US.utf8
    I found this: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wl_command#locale

so "wl country" gives me: EU (EU/0) EUROPEAN UNION

I guess my question is: how do I know the correct locale setting (I live in the netherlands, so nl_NL.utf8, doesn't work btw :P ).
    these are all warnings, so LMS should run. if it doesn't, there is some more problem probably not reported in the logfiles.
    Squeezebox Classic,
    Squeezebox Radio,

Okay, looks like its best to give up. I might try the squeezeplug option (I happen to have a raspberry Pi laying around!). Thank you for your patience and support!

it works on e3200!

I'm stubborn
    So yea, its true. I've decided to go with the DDWRT route (which means no 5GHz radio but I decided I can live with that). I used a DDWRT kingkong built (20805) and went from there with the OTRW2 instructions. I ended up with 128Mb SWAP, 1024Mb Optware and around 500Gb Data partitions on a 2,5" drive. Everything installed and thada: it works!
    It streams fluently, the webgui is fairly responsive and everything loads. So now I've got a LMS 7.7.3 server on my e3200 with 64MB which I'm really happy about!

What is less great:
    - scanning doesn't go automatically? not sure why, but It would be much better if this was done without accessing the webgui
    - Starting up: same user problem: I need to make the following command to make the logitechmediaserver user:
    Code:
    adduser -h /opt/home/logitechmediaserver -G daemon logitechmediaserver
    then startup is no problem:
    Code:
    /opt/etc/init.d/S99logitechmediaserver start
    - I tried to make a starup script for DDWRT like this:
    Code:
    adduser: /opt/home/logitechmediaserver: File exists
    sleep 10
    /opt/etc/init.d/S99logitechmediaserver start
    sleep 120
    unfortunately this doesn't work. Maybe it is executed to soon? Because rebooting, and manually entering does work.

I cant tell you how happy I am that it works, thank you so much for the effort!

- scanning doesn't go automatically? not sure why, but It would be much better if this was done without accessing the webgui
    - Starting up: same user problem: I need to make the following command to make the logitechmediaserver user:
    The Problem with auto-scanning maybe a general LMS 7.7.3 problem. I believe that I read this somewhere.

Hmm, the problem with the user is strange. I included code into LMS's startup script (S99logitechmediaserver) for restoring the user if it hasn't survived reboot, which is the case for DD-WRT, because the rootfs is read-only and thus all users need to be re-created each boot.

The reason for your startup script not working correctly could be some wrong or missing PATH or LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable... Just a guess, because they are normally only correctly set at login-time by execution of the "profile" script in root's home directoy.

I'm glad that it works anyway!
    Best Regards
    Squeezebox Classic,
    Squeezebox Radio,

There have never been any ( official ) autoscanning in LMS .

There is however a scheduled scan you setup .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Got a Asus RT-N16

So, i've got my hands on a asus RT-N16 router. I'm trying to get the squeezebox package to run on it, but sadly I'm getting the same trouble as with the e3200. Can I ask you what steps and firmware you have on yours? I'm currently running kingkong built 22200M with a fresh install of OTRW2. I've installed the script, installed the packages you provided and tried to start up the server.

1. install OTRW2
    2. move ipkgs from zip to /opt/LMS/ (logitechmediaserver last)
    3. use standaard home dir (/opt/home/logitechmediaserver)

Code:
    Installing logitechmediaserver (7.7.3-1) to /opt/...
    package logitechmediaserver suggests installing lame
    package logitechmediaserver suggests installing flac
    Installing freetype (2.3.6-1) to /opt/...
    Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/ddwrt/cross/stable/freetype_2.3.6-1_mipsel.ipk
    Configuring freetype
    Configuring logitechmediaserver
    Enter LOGITECHMEDIASERVER_HOME location [/opt/home/logitechmediaserver]:
    logitechmediaserver: No such user
    invalid user: `logitechmediaserver:daemon'
    Successfully terminated.
    Then, starting script gives this:
    Code:
    root@DD-WRT:~# /opt/etc/init.d/S99logitechmediaserver start
    S99logitechmediaserver: Starting Logitech Media Server
    I make a user via adduser:
    Code:
    root@DD-WRT:~# adduser -h opt/home/logitechmediaserver -G daemon logitechmediaserver
    adduser: opt/home/logitechmediaserver: No such file or directory
    adduser: cannot execute passwd, you must set password manually
    Then server starts:
    Code:
    root@DD-WRT:~# /opt/etc/init.d/S99logitechmediaserver start
    But the serverlog says this:
    Code:
     2013-12-10 21:26:01 logitechmediaserver_safe started.
    [13-12-10 21:26:55.6196] main::init (354) Starting Logitech Media Server (v7.7.3, 1375965195, Mon Aug 19 11:42:55 PDT 2013) perl 5.008008
    [13-12-10 21:26:55.6827] Slim::Utils::Prefs::__ANON__ (277) Error: can't create new preferences directory at opt/home/logitechmediaserver/prefs
    [13-12-10 21:26:55.7988] Slim::Utils::Prefs::init (292) Error: unable to write to preferences directory opt/home/logitechmediaserver/prefs
    [13-12-10 21:26:56.6185] Slim::Utils::PluginDownloader::init (53) unable to store downloads in cachedir
    [13-12-10 21:27:03.2304] YAML::XS::DumpFile (31) Warning: Can't open '/plugin-data.yaml' for output:
    Read-only file system at /opt/share/logitechmediaserver/CPAN/YAML/XS.pm line 31.
    [13-12-10 21:27:03.2476] Slim::Utils::Prefs::Namespace::savenow (339) Error: can't save opt/home/logitechmediaserver/prefs/plugin/state.prefs: Permission denied at /opt/share/logitechmediaserver/Slim/Utils/Prefs/Namespace.pm line 328.
    [13-12-10 21:27:03.2632] Slim::Utils::Prefs::Namespace::savenow (339) Error: can't save opt/home/logitechmediaserver/prefs/server.prefs: Permission denied at /opt/share/logitechmediaserver/Slim/Utils/Prefs/Namespace.pm line 328.
    2013-12-10 21:27:03 Logitech Media Server died, see "/opt/var/log/logitechmediaserver/safe.log" for more info. Restarting.
    [13-12-10 21:27:56.7413] main::init (354) Starting Logitech Media Server (v7.7.3, 1375965195, Mon Aug 19 11:42:55 PDT 2013) perl 5.008008
    [13-12-10 21:27:56.7766] Slim::Utils::Prefs::__ANON__ (277) Error: can't create new preferences directory at opt/home/logitechmediaserver/prefs
    [13-12-10 21:27:56.8262] Slim::Utils::Prefs::init (292) Error: unable to write to preferences directory opt/home/logitechmediaserver/prefs
    [13-12-10 21:27:57.6262] Slim::Utils::PluginDownloader::init (53) unable to store downloads in cachedir
    and the safe.log says this:
    Code:
    [13-12-10 21:26:55.6159] main::init (354) Starting Logitech Media Server (v7.7.3, 1375965195, Mon Aug 19 11:42:55 PDT 2013) perl 5.008008
    [13-12-10 21:26:55.6793] Slim::Utils::Prefs::__ANON__ (277) Error: can't create new preferences directory at opt/home/logitechmediaserver/prefs
    [13-12-10 21:26:55.7954] Slim::Utils::Prefs::init (292) Error: unable to write to preferences directory opt/home/logitechmediaserver/prefs
    [13-12-10 21:26:56.5949] Slim::Utils::PluginDownloader::init (53) unable to store downloads in cachedir
    [13-12-10 21:27:03.2271] YAML::XS::DumpFile (31) Warning: Can't open '/plugin-data.yaml' for output:
    Read-only file system at /opt/share/logitechmediaserver/CPAN/YAML/XS.pm line 31.
    [13-12-10 21:27:03.2441] Slim::Utils::Prefs::Namespace::savenow (339) Error: can't save opt/home/logitechmediaserver/prefs/plugin/state.prefs: Permission denied at /opt/share/logitechmediaserver/Slim/Utils/Prefs/Namespace.pm line 328.
    [13-12-10 21:27:03.2598] Slim::Utils::Prefs::Namespace::savenow (339) Error: can't save opt/home/logitechmediaserver/prefs/server.prefs: Permission denied at /opt/share/logitechmediaserver/Slim/Utils/Prefs/Namespace.pm line 328.
    Can you give me an idea on how to solve it? I thought getting this router would make it like a walk in the park, but its been a bit disappointing so far

So, i've got my hands on a asus RT-N16 router. I'm trying to get the squeezebox package to run on it, but sadly I'm getting the same trouble as with the e3200. Can I ask you what steps and firmware you have on yours? I'm currently running kingkong built 22200M with a fresh install of OTRW2. I've installed the script, installed the packages you provided and tried to start up the server.
    Can you give me an idea on how to solve it? I thought getting this router would make it like a walk in the park, but its been a bit disappointing so far
    Hi,
    your setup is now almost identical to mine.

At first,
    your adduser command had a typo, this is why LMS didn't start after you created the user manually:
    Code:
    adduser -h opt/home/logitechmediaserver -G daemon logitechmediaserver
    You forgot the root '/' slash.
    Try this instead:
    Code:
    adduser -h /opt/home/logitechmediaserver -G daemon logitechmediaserver
    In addition, I found out that this output is normal when S99logitechmediaserver has to re-create the user:
    Code:
    Start service "logitechmediaserver" (/opt/etc/init.d/S99logitechmediaserver)
    service: Start service: "logitechmediaserver" (/opt/etc/init.d/S99logitechmediaserver)
    The server should run afterwards anyways.
    But it is very strange that there are some more errors in your setup:
    Code:
    I'm still trying to figure out what the reason for this could be.

As a workaround, you could re-create the user manually by adding this line at the bottom of /opt/etc/init.d/S06fixusers:
    Code:
    grep -q logitechmediaserver /etc/passwd || echo "logitechmediaserver:x:2:1:Logitech Media Server,,,:/opt/home/logitechmediaserver:/dev/null" >> /etc/passwd
    Please note in the line above that 2:1 (UID and GID) must match the entries in /opt/etc/logitechmediaserver.conf *AND* must match the UID/GID specification of the home directory /opt/home/logitechmediaserver.

Btw can you please post the contents of your /opt/etc/logitechmediaserver.conf file?
    The UID/GID pair in that file is determined at install-time, so this could give a clue to the problem.

Regards,
    Stefan
    Squeezebox Classic,
    Squeezebox Radio,