Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

stream music from computer to old smartphone (like airplay)

I want to play music on my computer (linux ubuntu) and have it streamed via wifi to an old smartphone (android) that would output the music through its earphones-plug to an amplifier/receiver which is connected to the speakers. This is similar to apple's airplay setup (I think). I don't care about the smartphone, all it's gonna do is said functionality, nothing more (so any solution that involves formatting it is fine).

There are quite a few tutorials about how to set up a raspberry pi which is connected to an external usb where all the media is stored, or a raw setup with a router and a usb music card, a workaround for airplay to work with other soft- and hardware, and more. I want however to keep the music on my computer, use the smartphone I already have, and stream music via wifi.

Does anyone know of a detailed tutorial that does exactly that, or knows and wants to explain it right here?

Many thanks in advance!!!

Install the SqueezePlayer app and there you go.
    And LMS on the computer, of course.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
    Install the SqueezePlayer app and there you go.
    And LMS on the computer, of course.
    For real? That's it?! I'll try it out tonight and report back. Thanks a lot Pippin!

Pippin is right, Squeeze player will basically turn your spare phone into a headless squeezebox and is a brilliant way to use a spare android device.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....squeezeplayer

To clarify, technically it doesn't do exactly what you ask for, in fact I'd say it's a superior solution. To control playback from your PC you can either use a Web browser to access the LMS page or install squeezeplay on the PC which will then give you local playback on the PC and control of playback on the Android, you could even install a control app on the android device, or another for control.

There is an alternative app on Android that does the same job called SB Player, however you may find SB player won't work on older devices, last time I looked it required ICS as a minimum, whereas the above option works happily on Gingerbread.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid.sbplayer

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by 12.yakir View Post
    For real? That's it?! I'll try it out tonight and report back. Thanks a lot Pippin!
    It worked!!! Thank you all so much!!!

It worked!!! Thank you all so much!!!
    Update: I managed to set it up as you suggested (LMS on the computer and squeezeplay on the old droidx), but I've realized that this will only work for media on my computer with some (expensive) alternatives for spotify and others, but not soundcloud etc. I was hoping to be able to stream basically everything that my computer can play.
    Thank you very much for the help nevertheless!

Sorry I presumed that since you were posting here you were familiar with LMS and what it does.

You can get apps on Android that will literally turn your phone into an Airplay receiver, I haven't tried any myself though. If you're using a PC then you'll need something like Airfoil on the PC to use it with anything other than iTunes.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Update: I was hoping to be able to stream basically everything that my computer can play.
    Thank you very much for the help nevertheless!
    For a linux/Ubuntu PC - you could use the WaveInput plugin ( http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...nput-for-Linux) . In practice there is often some alsa changes required and there will be a delay (anything between 2 and 15 secs depends on system) between audio on PC speakers and audio stream out of player.