Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Infrant ReadyNAS NV (before NetGear bought them)

So, I've been scanning good ol' ebay for a NAS that I could use to move my SBS over to, and I came across this device that looked like, and had the same model name as the NetGear ReadyNAS NV. It turns out that it's a pre-acquisition device sold by Infrant. My first thought was that it should be the same... but then I started to think that maybe NetGear had added their special sauce to the Linux OS to make it compatible with such applications as the SBS? Does anyone have any experience with this or know for certain that the firmware on the Infrant has kept up with the NetGear equivalent?

Infrant ReadyNAS NV (beforeNetGear bought them)

> So, I've been scanning good ol' ebay for a NAS that I could use to move
    > my SBS over to, and I came across this device that looked like, and had
    > the same model name as the NetGear ReadyNAS NV. It turns out that it's
    > a pre-acquisition device sold by Infrant. My first thought was that it
    > should be the same... but then I started to think that maybe NetGear had
    > added their special sauce to the Linux OS to make it compatible with
    > such applications as the SBS? Does anyone have any experience with
    > this or know for certain that the firmware on the Infrant has kept up
    > with the NetGear equivalent?

I wouldn't bother whether it's been the same or not. It's just not up to
    the task any more. Forget it if you consider running LMS on it. It might
    work, but would be painfully slow.

--

Michael

Thank you!

Wow, really? Thank you! You saved me aggrevation, time and money! Should I just keep an older WinXP computer that I have laying around, as my music server and be done with it, or are there compelling reasons (other than the RAID storage) to consider moving to a NAS device?

Quote Originally Posted by polarisflyer View Post
    Wow, really? Thank you! You saved me aggrevation, time and money! Should I just keep an older WinXP computer that I have laying around, as my music server and be done with it, or are there compelling reasons (other than the RAID storage) to consider moving to a NAS device?
    Agree. Would be painfully slow. Consider installing vortexbox system on the old xp. Then you can use without keyboard or monitor. And also use as network file storage for files other than your music or video files.

P.s. raid is only useful if you need instant access if something goes wrong (bank, retailer, medical). Instant access to music backups is rarely needed (unless you are pandora). RAID is *not* a backup solution. You can lose all your data on all drives from a power spike, fire, flood, theft, user error (you accidentally delete a bunch of files and this gets mirrored to the other raid volumes!). Read the readynas forums for some of the horror stories from some who (wrongly) assumed that RAID is a backup solution.

Much safer to have backups on USB external drives (and keep some of these unplugged and in a separate physical location).
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Run on Wandboard using dead NAS's hardware?

Hello. Some of who may remember me as the guy who installed LMS on a Wandboard while keeping the library on the NAS* (NV+ v1, which I think is the product you're talking about). Well, now the old NAS has given up the ghost and the Wandboard has nothing to do. I was wondering if anyone can point me to a way to use the NAS backplane and port multiplier to connect the NAS's four disks to the Wandboard via its single SATA port. Just for fun...

Good days to all of you,
    Les

* with the indispensable aid of M Herger and others
    __________________________________________________ _____________________
    Logitech Media Server Version: Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.2 - ARCH-AUR-REL.7.9.2.arch2 running on Wandboard Quad, music library on SATA HDD
    Squeezebox Touch plugged into run-of-the-mill stereo rig via Musical Fidelity X-Act, extra speakers in kitchen, basement, and bedroom connected by ordinary (not unidirectional) copper cable.