Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newbie help, please - Moose, SQLite and Vortexbox

Hi folks - I'm new to the world of Linux and Vortexbox. I'm moving my music collection off a PC and onto a Vortexbox that I've just built on an old PC. I mostly use Moose to control my Squeezebox Duet and would like to continue with it. I need to tell Moose the address of the Logitech Media Server library on the Vortexbox machine so that Moose can scan it. Can anyone tell me where and - this is the important bit - how to find the LMS library address?

My Windows 7-64 bit PC has the library at C:\ProgramData\Squeezebox\Cache\library.db

My Vortexbox lives on the network at 192.168.1.9 There are 4 network shares available which Windows Explorer shows as network/VORTEXBOX/[share name] but they are all to user data such as the music files.

All help gratefully received, especially if you could bear in mind that I've not used Linux before and haven't yet learned some of the basic stuff.
    Digital: Raspberry Pi 3B; piCorePlayer 7 + LMS 8; HifiBerry DAC+DSP > Yamaha RX-V2700 > Jamo speakers
    Analogue: HifiBerry DAC+DSP > Speakercraft MZC-66 > whole house
    Library: External USB drive
    Android: Squeezer app

I've just discovered Filezilla, so I can now look into the Vortexbox. Just need to find where to look!
    Digital: Raspberry Pi 3B; piCorePlayer 7 + LMS 8; HifiBerry DAC+DSP > Yamaha RX-V2700 > Jamo speakers

LMS tells you , on the info page in the web UI scroll down , you see the path to the cache directory .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Viragored View Post
    I've just discovered Filezilla, so I can now look into the Vortexbox. Just need to find where to look!
    I found the LMS library! (Allows self a pat on the back)

It's in /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache

Credit must go to a poster in the VortexBox forums who located the file, and explained how to set up a share to make it easy to tell Moose where the file is - http://vortexbox.org/threads/4406-Cr...abase-folderdb

I hope this thread may help anybody else who sets off down the same path as me.
    Last edited by Viragored; 2013-04-20 at 22:39. Reason: Spelling, dammit

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    LMS tells you , on the info page in the web UI scroll down , you see the path to the cache directory .
    Thanks for your help

I didn't see your post till after my later post, which would have saved me a lot of time hunting through other forums till I found the location.

Kind regards

muso developer
    6 x SB3, 4 x SBBoom, 1 x SBTouch, rPi-4 based LMS on 2TB SSD (80,000+ tracks)
    Marantz, Denyo, & Bantam amps,
    Harbeth, Mordaunt Short & Monitor Audio speakers
    Heed Canamp + Beyerdynamic headphones

Quote Originally Posted by jezbo View Post
    Thanks, jezbo.

Quote Originally Posted by jezbo View Post
    After I have created a SMB share as advised (which works), and rebooted both server and Moose PC, I still get access denied on the prefs/Scanning page of Moose where I should be able to activate scanning of my music cachefile on LSB (Vortexbox).

Quote Originally Posted by excalibur View Post
    After I have created a SMB share as advised (which works), and rebooted both server and Moose PC, I still get access denied on the prefs/Scanning page of Moose where I should be able to activate scanning of my music cachefile on LSB (Vortexbox).
    Mine is working fine. Unfortunately the Vortexbox forums were hacked and most of the information that was there is no longer available.

I added these lines at the end of my /etc/samba/smb.conf

Code:
    [squeezebox]
    comment = mod to allow Moose to access LMS database via new share
    path = /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache
    guest ok = yes
    writeable = yes
    create mask = 0777
    The attached file shows my Moose library scanning details.

Just in case you are as much a beginner as me, unlike Windows the case of the letters matters in Linux - upper case and lower case must match exactly or Linux won't recognise the requested files.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Viragored View Post
    Mine is working fine. Unfortunately the Vortexbox forums were hacked and most of the information that was there is no longer available.

I added these lines at the end of my /etc/samba/smb.conf

Code:
    [squeezebox]
    comment = mod to allow Moose to access LMS database via new share
    path = /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache
    guest ok = yes
    writeable = yes
    create mask = 0777
    The attached file shows my Moose library scanning details.

Just in case you are as much a beginner as me, unlike Windows the case of the letters matters in Linux - upper case and lower case must match exactly or Linux won't recognise the requested files.
    OK - Thanks a million for this screendump. I looked up the cachefile name in the SB Settings/Information, and this sais cache.db. Which is the wrong file. The library.db is the right one. Thanks again. Now it works.

Great.