Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 158 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

More updates

Hi JackOfAll/Triode,
    Another update from me. I have just switched from RC2 to RC3 and everything is working perfect! Even with this new release I can see the new option to force the reboot as well as on the RC2. I have connected the wandboard to my DAC via the new optical cable (which I have just received now!!!) and I am just enjoying my favourite Donald Fagen album 'The Nightfly' Thanks for all these great updates!!!!
    Is there anything you want me to check/test?

EDIT 1: No issues at all with the reboot now, as I was used to have in the past with RC 1...

EDIT 2: I will post a list of my 2 working DACs soon...
    Last edited by albertone74; 2013-04-13 at 03:13.

Quote Originally Posted by lintweaker View Post
    Looking forward contributing...
    It would be useful to have someone else, who is familiar with rpm packaging, on board. With regard to development, the source for the CS Web-GUI is available from GitHub. Next week, I'll add our kernel/uboot patches and build scripts to the Community Squeeze git.

Quote Originally Posted by albertone74 View Post
    Is there anything you want me to check/test?
    Nothing in particular. Just use it as a normal user would and anything you do come across let us know.

If I'm being honest, this R3 image has already had about 3x the time I spent testing the R1 image. It probably should have been the first release image. With the benefit of hindsight we probably should have held off another week. But then again, if we were seeking perfection, we'd probably never end up releasing anything!

Quote Originally Posted by albertone74 View Post
    EDIT 2: I will post a list of my 2 working DACs soon...
    Thank you.

Triode, unless you have any objections, can you update the announcement post in the General Forum to point at the R3 image.

Quote Originally Posted by JackOfAll View Post
    Triode, unless you have any objections, can you update the announcement post in the General Forum to point at the R3 image.
    Done

On the subject of testing, the current jivelite support really assumes a 1080p monitor as the initially connected device. I'd like to get some more test data to help us startup with support for other monitor sizes. Would like some feedback on the following for anyone who can try:

1) Do 1920x1080 (1080p) and 1280x720 (720p) skins both work on your 16:9 devices - if so can you easily switch between the two of them?
    2) If you can and have a 1080p TV/monitor, does it start up ok if you set 720p and then reboot the wandboard?
    3) Could anyone who can access the dmesg post what the HDMI debug lines say when you connect a TV - this should include some data from the EDID exchange which says what resolutions are available.

Testing R3 right now and, so far, everything works great. I will try to sum up my experience (just in case it could be useful to someone else):

- Downloaded R3 and loaded it into a Kingston 8Gb card using Windiskimager.
    - Wandboard connected to an HDMI TV
    - First boot took around 1 minute
    - Went to: Settings --> Advanced --> Configure Wifi --> Selected my wifi from the list of available networks --> entered my key (keyboard connected to wandboard).
    - Used Advanced Port Scanner to find out the IP that my router gave to the wandboard trough DHCP. Web port (8080) is listed as closed, being SSH port the only one open.
    - Reboot using board reset button. With the analog output selected and a pair of headphones connected I hear a strange noise while rebooting.
    - Reboots in around 40 seconds
    - Now web port is open so I can access the configuration.
    - Set wireless interface to give fixed IP
    - Set squeezelite player to use my laptop running LMS as server
    - Reboot using Shutdown page
    - Reboot takes around 1 min 30 sec
    - went to: Settings --> Choose player --> select SqueezeliteWAND
    - Happily listen to my music

All the process is straight forward and took me around 5 minutes.

I've noticed that, after first boot up, when trying to play some 24/96 flac files, I got intermittent audio on the headphones. Stopped playback, went away for a few minutes and when I was back everything was ok. I thought that it could be something related to my wifi or maybe that the wandboard needed some time after boot up (started playing intermediately), so I rebooted from the shutdown menu to check that. Waited for 9 minutes but no start up, so I used the reset button. After that, got it running in less than 1 minute, and no intermittent audio when playing the same 24/96 files (probably it had something to do with my wifi). Didn't use the force reboot/halt checkbox when rebooting, though.

Hope this helps, sorry not the be able to be of more help.
    Last edited by Alcaudon; 2013-04-13 at 04:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Triode View Post
    On the subject of testing, the current jivelite support really assumes a 1080p monitor as the initially connected device. I'd like to get some more test data to help us startup with support for other monitor sizes. Would like some feedback on the following for anyone who can try:

1) Do 1920x1080 (1080p) and 1280x720 (720p) skins both work on your 16:9 devices - if so can you easily switch between the two of them?
    2) If you can and have a 1080p TV/monitor, does it start up ok if you set 720p and then reboot the wandboard?
    3) Could anyone who can access the dmesg post what the HDMI debug lines say when you connect a TV - this should include some data from the EDID exchange which says what resolutions are available.
    I'm going out right now, but when I get back home I will try and let you know.

Edid

It doesn't do so well with my Samsung TV.....

Code:
    [    2.400331] unable to read EDID block
    [    2.403999] EDID read returned : -5
    [    2.407600] mxc_hdmi mxc_hdmi: Read EDID again
    [    2.915343] unable to read EDID block
    [    2.919056] EDID read returned : -5
    [    7.945347] unable to read EDID block
    [    7.945400] EDID read returned : -5
    [    7.945447] mxc_hdmi mxc_hdmi: Read EDID again
    [    8.455337] unable to read EDID block
    [    8.455389] EDID read returned : -5

Quote Originally Posted by JackOfAll View Post
    It doesn't do so well with my Samsung TV.....

Code:
    [    2.400331] unable to read EDID block
    [    2.403999] EDID read returned : -5
    [    2.407600] mxc_hdmi mxc_hdmi: Read EDID again
    [    2.915343] unable to read EDID block
    [    2.919056] EDID read returned : -5
    [    7.945347] unable to read EDID block
    [    7.945400] EDID read returned : -5
    [    7.945447] mxc_hdmi mxc_hdmi: Read EDID again
    [    8.455337] unable to read EDID block
    [    8.455389] EDID read returned : -5
    So much for standards... Doesn't work with my monitor either, but on my TV I get a full set of supported resolutions.

What is probably more significant is whether both the 1080p and 720p skins work and if you leave it set to 720p and reboot do we see the display on all devices (I think this might be a way to cover TVs which don't support 1080p)

What is probably more significant is whether both the 1080p and 720p skins work and if you leave it set to 720p and reboot do we see the display on all devices (I think this might be a way to cover TVs which don't support 1080p)
    I'm assuming by default, even ignoring the failure of the EDID scan, it starts in 1080p, and whatever the default is, that works OK if I set the TV to "Just Scan". (If I try to force the resolution or 16:9, I don't get a picture.) Probably need to fiddle with it a little more.

But I've moved the device back to the PC so I can see the serial console, trying to reproduce the reboot "hang" that Alcaudon reported. Can't reproduce it. I get the odd "Failed to unmount /var" during shutdown, (I have /home and /var as separate partitions to root), but it doesn't hang. The systemd shutdown procedure is 20 seconds slower if using wi-fi for LAN connection, but it does reboot.