Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Announce: Community Squeeze

Name:  cs-logo.jpg
Views: 7604
Size:  13.5 KB

Community Squeeze Release

Community Squeeze is a community driven activity to continue the squeezebox open ecosystem and maintain availability of squeezebox compatible players now that Slimdevices/Logitech are no longer active in this market. It targets great audio quality at low cost with full integration to the existing Logitech Media Server based ecosystem.

The project comprises both software and hardware components. The Community Squeeze OS is a Linux based software distribution which includes playback and control applications which enable a squeezebox compatible player to be run on supported hardware. The Community Squeeze Player is a community designed hardware device which will run Community Squeeze OS and will provide a high quality audio playback capability from on-board analog and digital outputs.

Today we are releasing the initial version of the Community Squeeze OS. This is designed to run on a low power hardware device called Wandboard (wandboard.org). This is being made available so early users of Community Squeeze are able to trial the software and work with us to improve its capabilities. This initial release will support playback via the on-board audio output of the Wandboard and via external optical spdif and usb based dacs. The OS will evolve to power the Community Squeeze hardware Player. We will confirm more details of the hardware platform as development continues *.

Release 1.0 of the Community Squeeze OS supports the following features:
    - Fedora based linux OS for the Wandboard cpu platform which is available as a download to be flashed to microSD card by the user
    - Squeezelite playback application which supports wav, aiff, flac, mp3, ogg, aac using linux codecs and which will playback through the on board audio, spdif and usb ports of the Wandboard. Squeezelite uses existing Squeezebox protocols to integrate with your LMS based music system.
    - (Optional) HDMI based user interface for the player which uses the JiveLite application to control the player via a USB connected keyboard or remote using a Flirc adaptor (requires 1080p capable TV/monitor)
    - (Optional) Support for the LMS server application running on the Wandboard hardware to avoid requirement for an external server
    - Web based configuration for each of the above functions

Download and installation instructions for the OS are provided below.

Please download the OS and let us have your feedback. We would love for additional developers to join the team and help develop the software side of this activity and help support us as we develop the hardware player.

Thank you to all the encouragement on the forums for both this hardware and software sides of this project ľ please continue to comment and suggest ways to improve and support Community Squeeze.

The Community Squeeze team,
    [Clive (JackOfAll), John (JohnSwenson), Adrian (Triode)]

* - details of the Community Squeeze hardware platform have already been introduced as part of the discussion on this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...-be-interested
    Last edited by Triode; 2013-04-09 at 12:21.

Community Squeeze OS Release 1

Community Squeeze OS for the Wandboard can be downloaded from here:

Code:
    http://www.communitysqueeze.org/images/wandboard/CSOS/CSOS-Wandboard-Dual-R3-20130412-1.img.7z
    Details of how to use this image with a wandboard are available here: http://wandboard.org/images/download...tart-guide.pdf

Technical discussion of Community Squeeze OS and the features of this release has already been happening on the pre-release thread in the linux forums which you may wish to read before posting questions and comments on this specific release (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...h-Plays-Noises) and has now transferred to: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...-Squeeze-OS-R3

However please feel free to post questions in this thread.

We recognise that this initial release is only suited to people willing to configure their own wandboard device, but we have strived to make the installation of Community Squeeze as simple as possible for people feeling happy to download the image, copy it to a microsd card and install in their Wandboard. All subsequent configuration should be possible from the web and hdmi interface. As we upgrade the software components which make up part of Community Squeeze OS we will post here with instructions of how to update. Experienced linux users will be able to update more regularly by updating individual applications and we will post details of this on the linux forum.
    Last edited by Triode; 2013-04-13 at 04:04. Reason: Updated with R3 image url and new thread in linux forum

I'll post this here too, already posted in the other thread.

Just put R1 on my Wandboard. Web interface for WLAN-configuration didn't seem to do what it needed to do (yes, I did use the "Save and reboot"-button) but I used Putty to ssh in and checked if the settings were correctly applied. ESSID & WPA-PSK key were present, so I did what you describe in the very first post (ifdown + ifup) and WLAN is working now.
    Had to google around a bit to find how to mount my Windows share to actually get some music into the server, but now it's happily scanning, Squeezelite is visible on my network and sees both LMS servers, my other players also see the Wandboard server.
    So far so good All in all a painless installation procedure, well within reach of this Linux almost illiterate
    If you need localisation to Dutch or French, I volunteer.
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004 + TMA Premium 905 + TMA Premium 901 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2 + BK Monolith+ FF + Lenovo T460 + Kodi + Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    Workshop: iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
    Wherever needed: Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
    Kitchen: iPhone 5s + iPeng (local playback activated) + NAD 312 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2
    Headphone (cozy corner): Lenovo T550 + Squeezelite-X + Cyrus Soundkey + Topping A30 + Focal Elear
    Car: TBC ...

Community Squeeze OS - initial hardware

Community Squeeze OS is designed to work with commerically available hardware. In advance of the Community Squeeze hardware player, this is the Wandboard (http://www.wandboard.org/) which is available via a number of resellers linked from their web page.

If you want to use this as a Squeezebox compatible player using the internal analog or spdif output of the wandboard then this is all you need. If you wish to use an external USB Dac, then the Wandboard has been tested with both UAC1 and UAC2 usb dacs and is able to reproduce good quality audio with this configuration. You should note that for UAC1 dacs an external high speed hub is required between the DAC and Wandboard. This is because the Wandboard hardware has the same limitation as the Squeezebox Touch in terms of it's USB output port. With a hub it performs exactly as the SBT does with the EDO addon.

Community Squeeze also includes a controller appliction which uses the HDMI output to display a squeezebox like display on a high definition monitor or TV. At present this is designed for 1080p resolution screens, although it is possible to make it work on 720p screens and future releases will simplify the configuration to achieve this. The controller application is intended to be driven by a flirc IR receiver (http://flirc.tv/) which allows an IR remote to emulate a USB keyboard. This may be connected directly to the Wandboard or via a USB hub (if you have a usb dac). I'm sure users will find the best configuration for Flirc, but for the moment I've attached my configuration file here for use with an existing Squeezebox IR remote control:
    CommunitySqueeze Flirc Configuration.zip
    Last edited by Triode; 2013-04-09 at 13:15.

Will IPeng work with is?

J
    Joel

Quote Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post
    Will IPeng work with is?

J
    Yes - It's LMS based and will support existing LMS on an external server (as today's squeezeboxes) or on the Wandboard. In both cases all existing LMS control applications will work, including the web interface and iPeng, SqueezePlay, SqueezeCommander etc. [I don't have a full list...]

According to the Wanboard site there are two versions of the hardware available. A Solo and a Dual version. The Dual version also has wifi. Which of these two boards are required for this project?
    Cambridge Audio 851D-S -> Focal MP1200 -> Focal Electra 1028 Be
    1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
    1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
    ReadyNAS NVX for storage
    RPI 2B running LMS 7.9.2.
    iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad.
    http://www.last.fm/user/phibon

Consider putting instructions and perhaps a wiki on the communitysqueeze.org website. As this thread becomes numerous pages, and new threads get formed, having a central point of important information very useful.

It's too bad the squeezebox wiki is no longer maintained.

Paul

What form will the "community hardware" take? Community software projects make sense, but I've never heard of a community hardware project. Will it be a parts list? A kit?

It's interesting to see this little projects taking root. Hopefully one or all of them will take off.
    Rich
    ---------
    Setup: 2 SB3s, 4 Booms, 1 Duet, 1 Receiver, 1 Touch, iPeng on iPod Touch, SqueezeCommander, OrangeSqueeze, and SqueezePlayer on Xoom and Galaxy Player 4.2. CentOS 6.3 Server running LogitechMediaServer 7.7.2 and SqueezeSlave.
    Current library stats: 40,810 songs, 3,153 albums, 582 artists.
    http://www.last.fm/user/maggior

Quote Originally Posted by maggior View Post
    What form will the "community hardware" take? Community software projects make sense, but I've never heard of a community hardware project. Will it be a parts list? A kit?
    Wikipedia: Open Source Hardware