Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6

    Dedicated controller

    Hi

    Seems I'm one of few who doesn't like using touch devices as controllers.
    I am looking but I can't find anything, does anyone know of a dedicated controller available similar to the DUET model?

    I like the physical buttons, the wheel is great, but it has it's issues and since everything is discontinued.... Is there an alternative?

  2. #2
    Senior Member toby10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    USA (home of the bottomless credit card)
    Posts
    9,232
    Buy a used Controller? Beyond that your likely options are smart phone, tablet, or web UI from your computer (no touch screen ).

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11,580
    Quote Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
    Buy a used Controller? Beyond that your likely options are smart phone, tablet, or web UI from your computer (no touch screen ).
    Yes, a CONTROLLER (from a duet) will control a TOUCH or any other squeezebox. I've picked up a couple used/new in box from ebay at cheap prices. (My wife prefers the controller).
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
    Buy a used Controller? Beyond that your likely options are smart phone, tablet, or web UI from your computer (no touch screen ).
    Well I did mention the controller has it's issues...

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11,580
    Quote Originally Posted by jrobson View Post
    Well I did mention the controller has it's issues...
    can you just use the IR remote that comes with the touch. Of course this requires line of sight. For me, I mostly use SqueezePlay running on my laptop to control my various SB players. Because I'm often sitting in front of my laptop!
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    can you just use the IR remote that comes with the touch. Of course this requires line of sight. For me, I mostly use SqueezePlay running on my laptop to control my various SB players. Because I'm often sitting in front of my laptop!
    Hi

    I wasn't clear enough, I don't have a touch, I have the Duet Controller, two of them, but they won't last forever, and like I say they have issues, poor screen resolution(not a big deal, just makes it look a bit old), losing wifi when conserving battery which sometimes takes a while to wake up, random crashes(fixed by reboot but still), short battery life, product end of life...

    I see lots of development on players and server hardware/software but none on controller hardware side.
    I've tried Android, IOS and WinPhone controller and they just aren't as efficient or good as the Duet controller.

  7. #7
    Senior Member aubuti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    8,825
    Quote Originally Posted by jrobson View Post
    I wasn't clear enough, I don't have a touch, I have the Duet Controller, two of them, but they won't last forever, and like I say they have issues, poor screen resolution(not a big deal, just makes it look a bit old), losing wifi when conserving battery which sometimes takes a while to wake up, random crashes(fixed by reboot but still), short battery life, product end of life...

    I see lots of development on players and server hardware/software but none on controller hardware side.
    I've tried Android, IOS and WinPhone controller and they just aren't as efficient or good as the Duet controller.
    What type of player(s) do you have? You still haven't said. Other than the Duet Receiver, they all work with infrared remotes.

    You may have seen that development of the Squeezebox line has come to the proverbial end of the road. It's finished. Logitech made only one dedicated Controller (the Duet Controller), and then basically saw that that they couldn't compete against the iThings and Android devices. So if you want a dedicated SB controller, then your only option is another Duet Controller.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11,580
    Quote Originally Posted by jrobson View Post
    Hi

    I wasn't clear enough, I don't have a touch, I have the Duet Controller, two of them, but they won't last forever, and like I say they have issues, poor screen resolution(not a big deal, just makes it look a bit old), losing wifi when conserving battery which sometimes takes a while to wake up, random crashes(fixed by reboot but still), short battery life, product end of life...

    I see lots of development on players and server hardware/software but none on controller hardware side.
    I've tried Android, IOS and WinPhone controller and they just aren't as efficient or good as the Duet controller.
    I'd be surprised to see any hardware development on something like a CONTROLLER for only controlling the SB players given the high quality of the various apps that can be used wih smartphones and tablets. You say you've tried iOS controllers and didn't like them. Have you tried iPeng? It is much, much better than the free logitech iOS controller app. And iPeng for iPad is very good as is SqueezePad for iPad. These do everything the CONTROLLER does and a lot more. The only thing they don't do is work for setting up a duet receiver, but there is Net: UDAP for that purpose. (and in terms of dedicated, you can pick up an older iphone or ipad cheap and use them at home ONLY as a controller)
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

  9. #9
    Senior Member pippin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    14,684
    Hm, I feel like I have to add my two cents here because, ironically, I believe that dedicated controllers WILL come back

    1. You like the scroll wheel? Ok, I reckon you are pretty much alone with that one so I'd risk a guess at saying: nope, that's never coming back.

    2. Dedicated controllers with touch screens I'm not so sure about. Logitech has tried this a bit with the harmony line but my impression was that they were focusing on the wrong market so far, which is replacing simple button remotes which doesn't work because a grave full of physical buttons can never be matched in speed-of-use by any touchscreen device. But for complex tasks, I'd bet it will eventually come back, as a universal remote.

    3. Me thinks this will be something like an Android tablet with some additional buttons giving you quick access to play, pause, skip, volume, power. Actually I believe it will probably be EXACTLY an Android tablet with these buttons. And the actual controllers will just be Apps.

    4. Why? Because you want a motion sensor instead of a screen lock and you want the buttons, everything else gets into the way of quick use. But for complex UI interactions like content search and browsing you need the touch screen, that scroll wheel just sucked (sorry)

    5. When? Something like 3 years from now when Android has finally settled on some stable API version and you can't make money on phones anymore so that vendors try to diversify. The platforms will be cheap because an off-the-shelf hardware produced in xx million quantities for phones will easily justify being used as a building block for appliances.

    6. Why not now? Market's not mature enough and you want to be able to use it with more than one client device. And you need to allow the platform you are using to still be like 3 generations behind because you don't want to replace this thing twice a year like your garden-variety Android phone because it just became totally outdated plus you want it to be three generations behind so that with a current architecture it can consume REALLY little power because you want the battery to last for two days or so and not only half a day as it is today.

    7. Why Android? What else? Windows? Nah, not going to be around for tablets three years from now anymore. iOS? Good luck asking Apple for industrialization.

    8. What to use until then? Apps that support the use of hardware volume buttons and lock screen access on your phone or tablet like iPeng or some of the Android ones do because that already gives you 75% of what you really need buttons for.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
    Hm, I feel like I have to add my two cents here because, ironically, I believe that dedicated controllers WILL come back

    ...

    5. When? Something like 3 years from now when Android has finally settled on some stable API version and you can't make money on phones anymore so that vendors try to diversify. The platforms will be cheap because an off-the-shelf hardware produced in xx million quantities for phones will easily justify being used as a building block for appliances.

    ...
    An old thread, but I'm really interested in a dedicated Logitech media server controller. Dedicated being the key word here. I know I can easily control the server with a tablet, phone, or anything else that is on my local network and runs a browser.
    I like using my android tablet to control the server. And I would like to always see what track is playing. But I don't like to keep the tablet's screen on in the background for long periods of time, in order to conserve the battery. I could buy another, cheap, tablet and keep it always plugged in to the mains, but I would prefer that it wouldn't have a battery (out of concerns that it might overheat or explode).

    So, is there a cheap, small device with a screen and wifi, that doesn't have a battery and runs connected to the mains? Something like a mounted wall display, I guess.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •