Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

connect USB HD to router problem

I tried to connect a 3,5" Seagate 1TB HD with approx. 1300 musicfolders and 13.000 songs to my Router.

The HD appears as a network drive on my computer. The Router uses a folderstructure like SAMBA\USB1\ and so on and this is how it appears in Windows-network. [SAMBA\USB1\MYFLACCOLLECTION]

Several problems appear:

- When i add this folderstructure to the logitech media server, the mediascan starts but it hangs on certain folders and files. Also it is very very slow. It takes 3-4 hours before it hangs. When i use the HD on my USB on my computer, it finishes in 30-40 minutes without any problems;
    - When i try scanning the HD connected to the Router with less folders it seems to work, but
    - After rebooting the computer, the folder structure is available but not the files
    - I have to restart the mediascan, this takes hours (i guess more then 10)

The router and SQBT are wired-connected (CAT 5a).

It seems the LMS cannot handle HD-s connected to a router? Or is this just my router(KPN experiabox ZTE)?

I really want this to work because i use a laptop now, and it is not handy to connect my external HD. Also connecting the HD to the SQBT USB is not an option: it simply doesn't work (when i try: the indexing is not working, is slow, connection to LMS fails).

I hope someone knows how to get this working
    Last edited by a.b.d.o.n.; 2013-03-24 at 01:56.

Some things to consider the folders and files must always be aviable to LMS while it s running otherwise it thinks the music is gone and you must rescan .

You are doing this over wireless , this is exceptionally slow compared to USB wired would be faster but still not as fast as an USB drive. , for reference internal drives are usually the fastest .
    I also suspects that scanning over wifi can easilly break if the wifi breaks down for a while .

I would have the computer on fixed ip and not dhcp to avoid reconnection due to acquiring a new adress now and then or use very long lease times .

If you manage to get this to work you will be facing another issue . LMS on your laptop will read the files over the wifi and then send the stream back to the same wifi and then to the players, this can raise some wifi issues depending on how many players you have and mostly what else you are doing with your wifi bandwith . Windows could do an update ,you be surfing a website maybe downloading a large file and then the music would stop . This could be somewhat fixed with QOS settings in the router .

what I and many other s have done that fixes this is to actually conect a small server directly to the router and LMS is running there ,this works much better . LMS itself has an web-UI which have noticed and you can use from any other computer so you can still controll LMS with the laptop and the drives in this server could be network mounted so that you can put new files on it .

If you check this forum you will find all kinds of solution ranting in from plug computers old net books or laptops with the drive conected NAS boxes , vortexbox , HP micro severs ,shuttle computers , mac-mini or any random leftover pc
    If you have you old desktop left you could load it with LMS and let it sit beside the router .
    If you the rigth kind of OS on it you can ditch the keyboard and monitor after initial setup .

I'm using a HP microserver with Linux and I also use wake on LAN , so the server can be started from my iPad or iPhone or any of the squeezeboxes .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post

[..]

what I and many other s have done that fixes this is to actually conect a small server directly to the router and LMS is running there ,this works much better . LMS itself has an web-UI which have noticed and you can use from any other computer so you can still controll LMS with the laptop and the drives in this server could be network mounted so that you can put new files on it .

If you check this forum you will find all kinds of solution ranting in from plug computers old net books or laptops with the drive conected NAS boxes , vortexbox , HP micro severs ,shuttle computers , mac-mini or any random leftover pc
    If you have you old desktop left you could load it with LMS and let it sit beside the router .
    If you the rigth kind of OS on it you can ditch the keyboard and monitor after initial setup .

I'm using a HP microserver with Linux and I also use wake on LAN , so the server can be started from my iPad or iPhone or any of the squeezeboxes .
    I searched for posts for words like router +HD or "external network drive".
    NAS it not an option for me, but i will learn about the other solutions and try one . Thanks!
    Last edited by a.b.d.o.n.; 2013-03-24 at 07:58.