Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Possible to FORCE Duet to work with a Wired Connection?

Hi

I have owned a Duet system for about 2 or 3 years. During this time it has broken my heart as it plays about one song in every 50 attempts. I am an I.T. professional with 30 years experience and I have tried everything under the sun, from the obvious to the esoteric, and I had to conclude it was the most unstable consumer product ever released. Then I had an idea. Abandon it's claim to work with WiFi and wire it instead!

This was a spectacular failure. After great expence cabling it up, it still proved itself to be a piece of c**p.

Then, after nearly 3 years being unable to play my extensive music collection (because I had put it all on a server and dismantled my CD player setup), I realised that perhaps the Duet reciever was so dumb it wasn't detecting the eternet connection and was still wasting it's time trying to use WiFi? I couldn't find anything helpful on how to force it to use the wired connection, so in the end I attempted to set up Bridge mode as described here:
    http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/...in-bridge-mode
    I wasn't delighted at the idea since the controller, like everything else in my house except the reciever, can easily connect to the WiFi as the signal is really strong, but at this point I would do ANYTHING to bring music back into my life, so I tried it. It meant I had to do a factory reset on both parts of the Duet (a wee point not mentioned in the documentation of course). But the problem there was that the above page says:
    "7. Choose 'Connect using Squeezebox'."
    but that option is never presented!!!!!
    There is a tacit admission of this if you look at the Logitech documentation on how to connect in default WiFi mode:
    http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/...without%20wifi
    where at the corresponding stage of set up it says "4.Choose your network from the list of networks and press the center button." - yes, that is the only option that's presented. There is no "Connect using Squeezebox", so it can't be done.

Of course 'Bridge Mode' might not be the way to go anyway. There might be some other way of forcing the reciever to use the wired connection and stop wasting time with Wifi. But HOW?

Of course it might continue to fall over even with a wired connection, but this has to be tried before I take it into the back garden and smash it with a lump hammer.

If anyone has a really sound understanding of how to FORCE it to use the wired connection, in a way that corresponds with actual menu options, please I beg you, share what you know?

THANK YOU in anticipation!

Rocket Man.
    Rocketman

Rocketman, Rocketman2 and now Rocketman3 too.
    [N.B. the forum doesn't recognises my old passwords nor sends me a reset so I have to create new accounts periodically]

Factory reset the reciever hold button untill it's fast flashing red (you hold a bit longer than the normal reset to slow flashing red ) . thats a good starting piont .

before anything you do anything else make sure that a real working Ethernet cable is properly connected to it and that there is a switch or a router at other end maybe a crossed cable an a pc , it migth not work with powerline adapters untill after the setup .

If it's already setup for wifi it will do that until you reset it .
    And it will never offer the ethernet setup unless there is a cable connected . So you cant just power it up set Ethernet settings and then carry it to where it should be and then connect it .

If don’t want to involve the controller there is the net:udap script (by robin bowes on this forum ) you can use , it makes it actually easier if your not uncomfortable with command line prompts.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Hi Mnyb

Actually I am using a Powerline adaptor - could that be an issue? The ethernet signal via the Powerline definitely works. I can use it connected to my Samsung smart TV to watch movies streamed from my Netgear ReadyNAS, so the cable is sound and so is the sonnectivity via Powerline. Not an issue then, right?

I tried using the UDAP script but it threw up a unique error - well, not an error mentioned by anyone else on the forum, in which it responds to the 'list' command with:
    use of initialised value in printf at /PerlApp/Net/UDAP/Shell.pm line 489, <FIND> line 11.
    (full details see here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...307#post739307).

So it's very very hard. No, it's impossible. Remember I have tried for nearly 3 years to make this work relaibly. Resetting the handset is a 30 minute plus operation as I have a very long WiFi password for enhanced security. I found the 'How to' on setting up 'Hybrid mode' - I think that might be salvation if only the prompts appeared the way they are supposed to in such documents
    (I refer to: http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/...VlKno0bA%3D%3D)

Any other thoughts perhaps?

Regards
    Rocketman

[N.B. the forum doesn't recognises my old passwords nor sends me a reset so I have to create new accounts periodically]

P.P.S.
    One additional item. I discovered the UDAP isn't working because it can't find the player - because the player is ignoring the ethernet.

There's a hole in my bucket dear Liza dead Liza...
    Rocketman

Tried the Receiver directly to router to eliminate possible power line adapter issues?
    Tried the Controller > Settings > Advanced > Networking > Choose Network > Connect to Ethernet? (assuming the Controller sees the Receiver)
    Last edited by toby10; 2013-02-28 at 13:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman3 View Post
    Hi Mnyb

Actually I am using a Powerline adaptor - could that be an issue? The ethernet signal via the Powerline definitely works. I can use it connected to my Samsung smart TV to watch movies streamed from my Netgear ReadyNAS, so the cable is sound and so is the sonnectivity via Powerline. Not an issue then, right?

I tried using the UDAP script but it threw up a unique error - well, not an error mentioned by anyone else on the forum, in which it responds to the 'list' command with:
    use of initialised value in printf at /PerlApp/Net/UDAP/Shell.pm line 489, <FIND> line 11.
    (full details see here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...307#post739307).

So it's very very hard. No, it's impossible. Remember I have tried for nearly 3 years to make this work relaibly. Resetting the handset is a 30 minute plus operation as I have a very long WiFi password for enhanced security. I found the 'How to' on setting up 'Hybrid mode' - I think that might be salvation if only the prompts appeared the way they are supposed to in such documents
    (I refer to: http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/...VlKno0bA%3D%3D)

Any other thoughts perhaps?

Regards
    Yes try without the powerline adaptore directly to your router , you can always move the reciver back to where you intend it be after the setup .
    And if the powerline adaptor still does not work place any cheap ethernet switch between the duet and the adaptor .
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.

Thank you

Hi Mnyb

Thank you for those suggestions. I tried the first, moving it to the hub and connecting it directly. This was a big part of solving the riddle. When I did that, and then did the Nth factory reset on both Duet parts, THEN it offered me an additional menu option to pick the method of connection. YAAAAAY!!!!!! And you were also right in that when I took it back to it's original Powerline-fed location, all was well, well except for a very minor niggle which I will explain briefly.

I know you can't connect 2 devices to the same ethernet link and have them both work simultaneously. You need to have one of them powered off. Well the Powerline ethernet is shared by my Smart TV and by the Duet reciever. WHen the Duet is off the TV works fine with the ethernet, but... not the other way around I now discover. The ethernet from the Powerline is split using a simple cheap 'splitter' connection I bought from Amazon for a couple of dollars. I find that if I power on the Duet (with TV off), it hangs with the indicator Yellow (is there a source somewhere that explains what all the colours mean BTW?). And the solution is to physically disconnect the ethernet to the TV at the splitter. Then all is well. Even curiouser, I only need to do that until the indicator goes white, then I can reconnect (but not use) the ethernet to the TV, and the Duet continues to work fine. But that's a minute inconvenience.

The main thing is this!...

I am DELIGHTED and ECSTATICALLY HAPPY!

I have had no music for nearly 3 years because of my assumption that the Duet would give me WiFi enabled music. WHenever I have wanted to play music - it is of course a time when you are seeking relaxation (well, usually). You could be sure that 15 minutes later my blood pressure would be through the roof, and the swaering and shouting would start to mount until I was nearly having a heart attack. End result, music=anger and stress + actually - there was no music. Now, music!!!! Good God you have no idea how deliriously happy I am to have the fecker working at last - nearly THREE YEARS with virtually no music! It's like escaping from the Taliban! Yaaaay!!!

Thank you for your input and assistance so much!

Regards

Rocketman.
    Rocketman

Hi Mnyb

Thank you for those suggestions. I tried the first, moving it to the hub and connecting it directly. This was a big part of solving the riddle. When I did that, and then did the Nth factory reset on both Duet parts, THEN it offered me an additional menu option to pick the method of connection. YAAAAAY!!!!!! And you were also right in that when I took it back to it's original Powerline-fed location, all was well, well except for a very minor niggle which I will explain briefly.

I know you can't connect 2 devices to the same ethernet link and have them both work simultaneously. You need to have one of them powered off. Well the Powerline ethernet is shared by my Smart TV and by the Duet reciever. WHen the Duet is off the TV works fine with the ethernet, but... not the other way around I now discover. The ethernet from the Powerline is split using a simple cheap 'splitter' connection I bought from Amazon for a couple of dollars. I find that if I power on the Duet (with TV off), it hangs with the indicator Yellow (is there a source somewhere that explains what all the colours mean BTW?). And the solution is to physically disconnect the ethernet to the TV at the splitter. Then all is well. Even curiouser, I only need to do that until the indicator goes white, then I can reconnect (but not use) the ethernet to the TV, and the Duet continues to work fine. But that's a minute inconvenience.

The main thing is this!...

I have had no music for nearly 3 years because of my assumption that the Duet would give me WiFi enabled music. WHenever I have wanted to play music - it is of course a time when you are seeking relaxation (well, usually). You could be sure that 15 minutes later my blood pressure would be through the roof, and the swaering and shouting would start to mount until I was nearly having a heart attack. End result, music=anger and stress + actually - there was no music. Now, music!!!! Good God you have no idea how deliriously happy I am to have the fecker working at last - nearly THREE YEARS with virtually no music! It's like escaping from the Taliban! Yaaaay!!!

Thank you for your input and assistance so much!

Regards

Rocketman.
    That last issue is easilly solved replace the "splitter" with a switch you eventually need it as you get more and more things that have internet/ethernet connection you can get them very cheap .
    I have an 8 port netgear switch in my hifi rack, at the moment I have my squeezebox and my TV conected and an ethernet to ir converter and an ethernet to serial converter my next blueray player will have intenet connection to

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    That last issue is easilly solved replace the "splitter" with a switch you eventually need it as you get more and more things that have internet/ethernet connection you can get them very cheap .
    +1
    Get rid of the splitter and get a proper ethernet switch, which can also be had for $10 or less if you look around. All the experienced IT pros are doing it.

Don't want to rain on your happiness but I used powerline adapters for a couple of years with a duet and although the ethernet connection worked fine and much more reliably than wireless, the adapters only seemed to last for a few months before dying. After the second failure I gave up and spent several hours crawling about under the floorboards laying a cable!

Hope you don't have this problem, maybe I was unlucky with manufacturer or batches.

Regards

Jerry