Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Squeezebox Radio refuses to stop using old DHCP address

My Squeezebox runs firmware version 7.7.2 r9663 and connects to the Internet through an Ethernet connection from my ISP (Comcast) who gives it an IP address via DHCP. I don't have a wireless network at home, so I can only use Ethernet for my radio.

When I first set up the Squeezebox, Comcast gave it a DHCP address of 10.x.x.x and everything worked well.
    I installed the Logitech Media Server (version 7.7.2 r33893) on my Windows computer, which also connects to the Internet through the same Ethernet connection from Comast, and the LMS served up all of my computer's music to my Squeezebox without any problems.

A month ago, Comcast stopped giving out 10.x.x.x DHCP addresses and started using the 192.168.x.x range.
    My Windows computer running LMS immediately started using the new range without any problems.

But for some reason, my Squeezebox refused to stop using the old DHCP address.

I've tried several things to force the Squeezebox to give up its old address and get a new one:

1. Power off and on
    2. Disconnect power cord and Ethernet and plug it back in
    3. Settings > Advanced > Networking > Choose Network
    and toggle between wireless and Ethernet (though I don't have WiFi)
    4. Reset to factory defaults
    5. Reinstall the firmware

None of these actions make any difference. The Squeezebox still uses the old address.

Out of frustration, I upgraded the Squeezebox to the UE firmware.
    The new firmware had no problems in getting and using a new DHCP address from the 192.168.x.x range.

But I dislike the UE firmware (I have the same problems with it as many others here), so I downgraded to the old firmware.
    Immediately upon downgrading and restarting, the Squeezebox uses the old 10.x.x.x DHCP address.

How can I get Squeezebox running the old firmware to stop using the old DHCP address and start using a new one?
    Last edited by squeeze1234; 2013-01-11 at 19:32. Reason: Updated with more attempts to force DHCP change

What router is being used? Perhaps the router is set to give that device the same IP?

Go to the router admin page at http://192.168.1.1/ or http://192.168.0.1/ . You are saying that comcast is doing this ? these are local addresses so they are most likely handed out locally . If it really is a router ?
    (there are weirdo isp where the clients don’t have a local network but are part of some big intranet ) .

Investigating router setiings i what i'll do first .

Try with another sid name and password ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
    What router is being used? Perhaps the router is set to give that device the same IP?
    Yeah sounds like your router is setup to hand out that specific IP to your Squeezebox but that doesn't explain why when running the UE software it worked properly. Software/ firmware won't change the devices MAC address and that's what the router uses to determine pre-assigned addresses.

You only have a wired LAN so your not using the wireless nic and its MAC, hmmm, i can't think of anything to try except going into the SB and setting it up on a static address if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by vining View Post
    Yeah sounds like your router is setup to hand out that specific IP to your Squeezebox but that doesn't explain why when running the UE software it worked properly. Software/ firmware won't change the devices MAC address and that's what the router uses to determine pre-assigned addresses.

You only have a wired LAN so your not using the wireless nic and its MAC, hmmm, i can't think of anything to try except going into the SB and setting it up on a static address if possible.
    1. login to router and temporarily turn off DHCP.
    2. Do a factory reset of RADIO.
    3. When radio tries to get IP address it will fail and the menu on radio will offer to add manual IP address (may need to scroll down on radio menu to see this option)
    4. Give it this info (This assumes your Router is 192.168.1.1 (if 192.168.0.1, change accordingly). Also assumes that your DHCP is set to hand out IP addresses starting at .100

IP Address: 192.168.1.20 (may need to be 192.168.001.020)
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    DNS: 192.168.1.1

5. Then Radio should connect with that IP address.
    6. Go back to Router, login and turn DHCP back to "on"
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

No fixed lease for this MAC

I definitely appreciate the multiple responses.

The ISP's upstream router which hands out the DHCP leases isn't mine to control. My ISP just gives me an Ethernet jack to which I connect my desktop switch, and then I connect my Squeezebox and my LMS computer to the desktop switch. This configuration has worked for years, and it's been exactly this way since I bought my Squeezebox a year ago.

But the problem with the DHCP is definitely with the Squeezebox.

For one thing, when I upgraded the Squeezebox to the UE firmware, it had no problem at all in getting an up-to-date DHCP address from the correct 192.168.x.x range. (And like vining wrote, I double-checked in Settings > Advanced > Diagnostics > General Info that the MAC address was the same using both the old firmware as well as the new firmware. It was.)

But as soon as I downgraded the Squeezebox to the old firmware, it went back to using the incorrect IP address from a very old DHCP lease.

After reading the responses here from toby10, mnyb, and garym, I decided to see if in fact the upstream router had somehow started giving out a fixed DHCP lease to the Squeezebox.

So I powered off the Squeezebox and disconnected it from the network.

Then, I shut down my LMS Windows machine, disconnected its Ethernet, powered it on, set its MAC address to be the same as my Squeezebox, and power-cycled it after reconnecting its Ethernet cable.

The computer came up fine with the MAC address of the Squeezebox, and it received a DHCP lease in the correct (192.168.x.x) range.

So my ISP's upstream router is not handing out a fixed DHCP lease to this MAC address.

It's some set of bits that are stuck somewhere in the Squeezebox's old firmware's configuration that prevent it from obtaining a current DHCP lease.

I know in Windows I can always do a "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew" to get the computer to give up an old lease and force it to get a new one.

Is there something like this that I can do on this Squeezebox to get the same result? I can SSH into the Squeezebox and get to the shell. But I don't know what to do from there.

Quote Originally Posted by squeeze1234 View Post
    I definitely appreciate the multiple responses.

The ISP's upstream router which hands out the DHCP leases isn't mine to control. My ISP just gives me an Ethernet jack to which I connect my desktop switch, and then I connect my Squeezebox and my LMS computer to the desktop switch. This configuration has worked for years, and it's been exactly this way since I bought my Squeezebox a year ago.

But the problem with the DHCP is definitely with the Squeezebox.

For one thing, when I upgraded the Squeezebox to the UE firmware, it had no problem at all in getting an up-to-date DHCP address from the correct 192.168.x.x range. (And like vining wrote, I double-checked in Settings > Advanced > Diagnostics > General Info that the MAC address was the same using both the old firmware as well as the new firmware. It was.)

But as soon as I downgraded the Squeezebox to the old firmware, it went back to using the incorrect IP address from a very old DHCP lease.

After reading the responses here from toby10, mnyb, and garym, I decided to see if in fact the upstream router had somehow started giving out a fixed DHCP lease to the Squeezebox.

So I powered off the Squeezebox and disconnected it from the network.

Then, I shut down my LMS Windows machine, disconnected its Ethernet, powered it on, set its MAC address to be the same as my Squeezebox, and power-cycled it after reconnecting its Ethernet cable.

The computer came up fine with the MAC address of the Squeezebox, and it received a DHCP lease in the correct (192.168.x.x) range.

So my ISP's upstream router is not handing out a fixed DHCP lease to this MAC address.

It's some set of bits that are stuck somewhere in the Squeezebox's old firmware's configuration that prevent it from obtaining a current DHCP lease.

I know in Windows I can always do a "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew" to get the computer to give up an old lease and force it to get a new one.

Is there something like this that I can do on this Squeezebox to get the same result? I can SSH into the Squeezebox and get to the shell. But I don't know what to do from there.
    Instead of a switch why not use a router so that you can have control over your local network , just let comcast dhcp the router ? then you could gain controll and for example set DHCP ranges and use statip ip as sugested by garym (i have static ip adresses on everything not portable and wont dhcp get near it ) .

In fact a good test would be to connect the radio to a router at home .

The Radio could very likly have bugs in this regard on the other hand I think the "home router network " is pretty much the expected configuration and propbaly the only one really tested by logitech (back when some rudimentary in-house testing was actually performed ,now it is you and me and the rest of this forum that do the testing )

It is a conundrum you could possible use SSH and flush some ip config files on it with Linux commands ,nut to do so you need it to conect to your network .

Did you ever performed a full factory reset after reverting back to squeezebox firware ?
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.

What Linux commands force lease release and renewal?

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    Did you ever performed a full factory reset after reverting back to squeezebox firware ?
    Yes. I did this in my original testing when the problem first appeared. No change.
    I also did it after I downgraded from the UE firmware and saw the problem reappear. Again no change.

It is a conundrum you could possible use SSH and flush some ip config files on it with Linux commands, but to do so you need it to conect to your network.
    The thing is, I _can_ SSH to this Squeezebox from my Windows LMS computer. I just don't know the equivalent commands to Windows "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew" for the version of Linux that the Squeezebox runs.

Instead of a switch why not use a router so that you can have control over your local network , just let comcast dhcp the router ?
    I thought about this, and I might have to do things this way if I can't make it work with my current setup. I just hoped not to have to spend money on any additional equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by squeeze1234 View Post
    Yes. I did this in my original testing when the problem first appeared. No change.
    I also did it after I downgraded from the UE firmware and saw the problem reappear. Again no change.

The thing is, I _can_ SSH to this Squeezebox from my Windows LMS computer. I just don't know the equivalent commands to Windows "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew" for the version of Linux that the Squeezebox runs.

I thought about this, and I might have to do things this way if I can't make it work with my current setup. I just hoped not to have to spend money on any additional equipment.
    An experiment , disconect the incoming cable from Comcast but keep it conected to the switch, redo the ethernet setup on radio , dhcp will now fail and the script for static ip will now be used , set a static-ip in the 192.168.x.y range .

You can find the settings by ipconfig on your pc ,dns ,gateway etc ,the only thing that should differ is "x" in the ip and don't use an adress that's in use by something else. Reconect the Internet cable .

You can keep it this way for a while , but it is not a permanent solution as you could eventually get an ip conflict if the dhcp hands out that ip to something else .

Now what would it do if you redo the Ethernet setup again and returning to use dhcp ?

Experiment to switch to manual address assignment and then to DHCP

An experiment, disconect the incoming cable from Comcast but keep it conected to the switch, redo the ethernet setup on radio, dhcp will now fail and the script for static ip will now be used, set a static-ip in the 192.168.x.y range.
    [...]
    Now what would it do if you redo the Ethernet setup again and returning to use dhcp ?
    I did this experiment like you suggested (and like garym had suggested earlier in this thread.)

1. I turned off my Squeezebox.
    2. I disconnected the incoming Comcast ethernet cable from my desktop switch
    3. I forced a factory reset of the Squeezebox
    4. The radio asked me to manually assign an IP address since it could no longer find a DHCP server
    5. I assigned the radio a free IP address in the 192.168.x.x range, and set the network mask, gateway address, and DNS server to be the same as that of my Windows LMS computer
    6. I then reconnected the incoming Comcast ethernet cable to my desktop switch
    7. The radio completed the factory setup sequence

Now the radio was running using a manually assigned IP address, and it could connect to my LMS server. It worked just like normal.

I then turned off my Squeezebox and forced a factory reset. This time, the radio found my ISP's DHCP server and completed the factory setup sequence. But to my dismay, the radio set itself up to use the old cached 10.x.x.x IP address, and not a 192.168.x.x address that the Comcast DHCP server currently assigns.

So it appears that switching to a manually assigned IP address, and then to a DHCP assigned address, doesn't actually force the radio to get rid of its old lease and obtain a new one.

As a sanity check, I once again upgraded this radio to the UE firmware. Just like before, when using the UE firmware, it correctly accepted the proper 192.168.x.x DHCP address from my ISP. I downgraded back to 7.7.2 r9663 and the radio went back to using the incorrect 10.x.x.x DHCP address.

There has got be a way for me to tell this radio to discard its old lease and obtain a new one under the 7.7.2 r9663 firmware, like it always used to do.