Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Squeezebox Radio keeps losing wireless connection and won't reconnect - any ideas?

I bought a Squeezebox Radio at Xmas to compliment my Touch (and before they all sell out completely), but I'm having loads of connection problems with it. It just keeps losing connection to the router, randomly after working for about 20minutes and having had full signal. The wireless icon then just turns red and says there's no signal to the router, and the only way to resolve it is to manually enter the SSID and password again each time.

I'm pretty sure it's not the router as my laptop, iPad, Android and iPhone all show strong signals, even when in the same location as the Radio. I'm working from home today and it's gone down three times this morning, despite my laptop being in a similar location and that staying connected (I'm working remotely so would know straight away if the router had gone down).

The hardware version is 7 (I haven't been sold a dud/refurb have I?) and I've updated the firmware to 7.7.2r9663 (via updating MLS on my Home Server). The router is an Asus RT66U. It's dual band so gives out both a 2.4 and 5ghz signal. At 5ghz it's an .11n signal and at 2.4 it's mixed g/n, and I've tried both frequencies on all devices that support both. The Radio only support 2.4 and g but when it does have a signal shows it as full until it just randomly disappears.

Any ideas? It's really frustrating, and is making the Radio unusable. We move to Dubai in a few months and I wanted an internet radio that will let me get UK radio as well as stream music from my home network!

Thanks

Is your SSID unique to your router? No other signal near you has the same SSID?

Yes, definitely unique, and the 2.4 ghz has a different one to the 5ghz.

I've just tried specifying channels instead of auto - ie channel 1,7 and 11, but it's not reconnecting.

Quote Originally Posted by Finchy View Post
    Yes, definitely unique, and the 2.4 ghz has a different one to the 5ghz.

I've just tried specifying channels instead of auto - ie channel 1,7 and 11, but it's not reconnecting.
    by the way, autochannel selection in a router is never a good idea for one that uses Squeezebox devices. Best to pick the best unused channel. 1,6,11 or best (because they don't overlap with other channels). If outside US, one should still use only channels 1-11. Use inSSIDer or netstumbler or vistumbler to see nearby networks and the channels they are using, strength, etc.
    Home: VBA2.5 4TB or rPi4B/pCP6.1/4TB>LMS 7.9.3>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B/pCP6.1/4TB>LMS 7.9.3>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet except Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP4.0, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

I always thought it was best to use auto or stick to 1, 7 or 11 because of their spacing on the spectrum. I thought 1, 7 or 11 were best because whichever one you're on uses part of the channels either side of that channel, so with 1, 7 or 11 you're less likely to get so much cross interference (ie if you're on 9 you'll be using part of 7, 8, 10 and 11 as well so will be sharing with those using 7 or 11?)

We're not too bad for wireless networks where we are at the moment so I'll have a scan and see which is best, but our old flat had around a dozen networks all fighting for bandwidth so auto seemed to work better as it would move when one was too congested!

I usually assign an address in the router's DHCP as well - my two Tuch's had trouble holding a connection untill I did that - so I'd done the same with the Radio. I've just resorted to a factory reset on the Radio as I just couldn't get it to connect (and it wouldn't even connect to my iPhone when I set that as a personal hotspot) - it's held a connection for half an hour or so now so I'll see how long it lasts.

I always thought it was best to use auto or stick to 1, 7 or 11 because of their spacing on the spectrum. I thought 1, 7 or 11 were best because whichever one you're on uses part of the channels either side of that channel, so with 1, 7 or 11 you're less likely to get so much cross interference (ie if you're on 9 you'll be using part of 7, 8, 10 and 11 as well so will be sharing with those using 7 or 11?)

We're not too bad for wireless networks where we are at the moment so I'll have a scan and see which is best, but our old flat had around a dozen networks all fighting for bandwidth so auto seemed to work better as it would move when one was too congested!

I usually assign an address in the router's DHCP as well - my two Tuch's had trouble holding a connection untill I did that - so I'd done the same with the Radio. I've just resorted to a factory reset on the Radio as I just couldn't get it to connect (and it wouldn't even connect to my iPhone when I set that as a personal hotspot) - it's held a connection for half an hour or so now so I'll see how long it lasts.
    I could be wrong, but I thought it was 1, 6, 11 (not 1, 7, 11) that didn't have the cross interference. This may not solve your problem, but for ALL my things that never leave my house (computer running LMS, all my squeezebox players, etc.) I assign fixed IP addresses (not just reserved in the router but actual fixed IP addresses that are outside the DHCP range). For the radio and Touch, I have to do this by temporarily turning off DHCP in my router, then trying to do a setup for the radio or touch and when it fails to get IP address, it provides option to manually enter IP. Then I setup with:

IP: 192.168.1.15 (the .15 could be anything above .1 and below .100 for me as my DHCP starts handing out at .100)
    SUBNET: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (this is the IP of my router)
    DNS: 192.168.1.1 (IP of my router)
    Home: VBA2.5 4TB or rPi4B/pCP6.1/4TB>LMS 7.9.3>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B/pCP6.1/4TB>LMS 7.9.3>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet except Radio WIFI)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Yes, sorry, 1, 6 and 11, my mistake!

My router lets me set the range for DHCP and specify up to 25 reservations, so I usually use those for my main stuff (it's always handy to know their addresses for remoting into, etc!)

So the only way to set an address in the Radio itself it to disable DHCP in the router temporarily? Hmmm, I'll have to wait....there's only my headless homeserver connected to it wired at the moment (ie so I have to RDP into that) and the second room is in such a mess I can't get near it to fire up my desktop! I'll how this holds out after the factory reset.

I bought a cheap rechargable battery pack off Amazon as well....can't say I'm too impressed with that so far!

I bought a cheap rechargable battery pack off Amazon as well....can't say I'm too impressed with that so far!
    what's going wrong with the battery. I've bought several cheap ones for radios off of amazon and they all work exactly the same way as my original expensive one from logitech.

It doesn't seem to know when it's charged (it just keeps showing as chargin, but when I look in the settings at power it says it's not charging), and it seems to run down fairly quickly, about two or three hours at best.

It doesn't seem to know when it's charged (it just keeps showing as chargin, but when I look in the settings at power it says it's not charging), and it seems to run down fairly quickly, about two or three hours at best.
    not sure how long charge should last. But with constant play I'm not sure I've ever had more than about 4 hours out of the charged battery.