Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Turntable use with Transporter

Lo,

t 04:50 26/12/2012, you wrote:

>1. USB TT really suck .

Indeed a lot of these turntables seem to be built to be as cheap as possible
    with just the ability to get a signal out.

I would get a second hand TT or borrow one and digitize vinyl with either
    a PC via an ADC or the way I do it using a minidisc recorder.

ATRAC is lossy but mid range decks (JB series) sound very close to the original
    source. If lossy doesn't appeal a mzrh1 HiMD recorder can do 16bit 44khz PCM
    recording.

Martin

Running MorphOS v3.1 (July 2012) on a PowerPC Powerbook, Moderator of
    MiniDisc,amithlonopen,bwfc Yahoogroups

What do people think of the idea of taking a Stanton T.92 or ST.150 and attaching it to the Transporter via the SPDIF output on the turntable? I realize these turntables are meant for DJs but would the sound on my system be bad?

Quote Originally Posted by mwiedrick View Post
    What do people think of the idea of taking a Stanton T.92 or ST.150 and attaching it to the Transporter via the SPDIF output on the turntable? I realize these turntables are meant for DJs but would the sound on my system be bad?
    1. this TT Stanton T.92 already has an Digital Output (SPDIF) coaxial digital out which means it already has riaa and ADC converter built in you just need to connect it to digital input of the transporter , you just need a cable .

2. No idea about the sound of this DJ table ,get a decent cartridge ,not the typical round cut of a dj needle unless you actually do scratching and other dj tricks
    And the sound quality will not be limited by the transporter or aleph amp it will be up to the suggested turntables , so I have no idea at all.

None of these are actually hifi or audiophile and the T.92 seems limited to 16bit 44.1 or 48k to comply with older USB inputs , good enough to play old scratchy vinyl's in a party setting I suppose .

If you strive for audiophile quality you should visit you dealer and have a look at non direct drive non DJ tables , even if for example the old technics DJ table actually sounds better than many audiophiles would give it credit for .

But the T.92 is new beast to me looks much more solid than the typical USB table , I seen USB tables at the computer store for like 60$ including cartridge and all made of flimsy plastic and the platter is not even full size !! there is usually also a matching USB cassette deck at the same shelf :[

or the used market for any old TT .

Or for a project of ripping vinyl's borrow a TT from an audiophile friend ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

You have a nice system, why not treat it to a decent turntable and one of these: http://www.m2tech.biz/joplin.html

That is an ADC that has the phono equalisation built in, and could output to the TP. Getting the gain right will be important, but I think that there is enough flexibility.
    Own music plus Qobuz, PC with Squeezelite-X, JRiver as digital XO, Asus Xonar u7, Restek Sextet, JBL L300
    LMS: 3xBoom, 1xRadio, SB3