Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Turntable use with Transporter

I currently utilize the Transporter to listen to digital sources of music (streaming spotify, rhapsody, pandora, etc or pulling FLAC files from my computer's hard drive). I've recently acquired a desire to introduce a turntable to my system and I'm wondering about the best way to go about this. I plan to connect the turntable directly to my Transporter via the SPDIF input unless I'm told that there's a better way. From what I can tell I've got a few options, including:

1) purchasing a turntable with an SPDIF output (or potentially using a turntable with USB output and converting that to SPDIF)
    2) inserting a phono pre-amp between the turntable and Transporter (presumably one that has an SPDIF output)
    3) using an RCA to digital coax converter between the turntable and Transporter

I've attempted to research this topic but I'm not finding much useful information. I've come to understand that a pre-amp is necessary (either within the turntable or exterior to it) but I'm guessing there are other factors to be considered aside from the basic task of ensuring that the signal passes to my Transporter via the SPDIF input.

Please let me know of the best way to go about this. Or alternatively, if you feel I'm an idiot for incorporating an analog source into my digital-only system I would appreciate that feedback too.

Thanks

Current home audio components
    Modwright Transporter
    Pass Labs Aleph 30 amp
    Zu Audio Soul Superfly speakers

I use a turntable for some of my old vinyl, but not connected to transporter. What is your reason for involving the transporter? My turntable is connected via RCA analog outs to the special turntable inputs on my preamp. If your preamp doesn't handle phono inputs for turntable, then you can insert a specal one. Haven't researched buying a tt for 30 years, so not aware of all the more modern options.

Edit. Aha. Based on your list, I see you don't use a preamp. Never heard of a tt with spdif digital out, but never really looked. Maybe others have better ideas.
    Last edited by garym; 2012-12-25 at 21:02.
    Home: VBA2.5 4TB or rPi4B/pCP6.1/4TB>LMS 8.0.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B/pCP6.1/4TB>LMS 8.0.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet except Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP4.0, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

This device appears to be able to do the job:
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/ART-USB-...GP&cagpspn=pla

EDIT: Then again, maybe not. I just found the manual and it does not appear to have that capability:
    http://artproaudio.com/files/owners_...honoplusps.pdf
    Last edited by Apesbrain; 2012-12-26 at 08:23.

1. USB TT really suck .
    3. Relatively ok ADC can be had at any music shop where home studio people do their shopping .

But a better plan would be to replace the vinyl , get suitable digital versions and if they don't exist record the vinyl with your computer and make files of them .

Then there is the budget , a very good phono stage and a superb soundcard or a more modest aproach like NAD's phono,stage with USB , depends onnthe turntable you intend to use.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by mwiedrick View Post
    I currently utilize the Transporter to listen to digital sources of music (streaming spotify, rhapsody, pandora, etc or pulling FLAC files from my computer's hard drive). I've recently acquired a desire to introduce a turntable to my system and I'm wondering about the best way to go about this. I plan to connect the turntable directly to my Transporter via the SPDIF input unless I'm told that there's a better way. (snip...)
    Your plan makes no sense. It involves adding additional processing that is completely unnecessary.

A LP record played on a turntable delivers an analog signal. In your case, you are proposing to convert that signal to digital and send it to the DAC section of the Transporter so it can be converted right back to analog.

It is one thing to convert a LP to digital so that it can be stored on your computer and later accessed along with the rest of your digital collection, but to digitally encode/decode every time you play the record live seems an unnecessary complication, especially since the ADC circuit (Analog-Digital-Convertor, the inverse of a DAC) of most inexpensive units are of fairly limited quality.

You're a lot better off keeping the signal all-analog on its way to the speakers unless you have a very specific need otherwise.

Believe me, the analog-to-digital-to-analog sequence certainly dawned on me as well but I was hoping to go with that method for two reasons:

1) minimize the number of connections to my amplifier
    2) utilize the volume control within the Transporter for the turntable output

Maybe I'm not thinking creatively enough, or am taking the easy way out, but it sounds to me that your best solution would be adding a pre-amp, ideally one with a phono input and corresponding phono pre, rather than having to buy a separate phone pre-amp as well.
    Last edited by aubuti; 2012-12-26 at 12:36.

Believe me, the analog-to-digital-to-analog sequence certainly dawned on me as well but I was hoping to go with that method for two reasons:

1) minimize the number of connections to my amplifier
    2) utilize the volume control within the Transporter for the turntable output
    You connect transporter directly to a power amp then it makes sense , Transporter has it jumpers for gain-scaling so that should be totally transparent to use Transporters digital volume .

Don't worry to much about the ADC in respect of transparency or resolutions the inherit vinyl problems and noise are several magnitudes bigger . However if set the gain wrong at the ADC you can get problems to low = noise, to high = horrible clipping so it's going to be somewhat fiddly process to ever get it right , and it's not going to be the same for every record ,hence why not make files of them and do it once .

What kind of turntable and cartridge do you indend to use , any hifi pretensions or is this just for fun and games , in that case turn the gain on ADC so that the loudest record you have does not clipp it and leave some margin and just enjoy , heck I bet that in most cases this would be transparent to the vinyl and phono stage anyway .

Btw do use 24bit stuff that’s going to give you a lot of headroom and slush margin for errors , it's has been shown that 16/44.1 recordings of vinyl are indistinguishable from the original but that’s leave very little margin for errors if you want it to just causlly sit there in the hifi rack 24bit is the way to go I bet all you can get nowadays is 24bit if you buy new .

Btw you can record at 24bit do some post processing if you want click and pop removal then normalize and down-sample to 16/44.1 files to use later .
    It is popular to trade vinyl rips but then you better keep them 24/96 mostly because that’s seems to be the accepted format for that trade .
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll attempt to incorporate the ADC and Transporter first, if that doesn't work I can always add the pre-amp and bypass the Transporter altogether. This exercise is mainly meant for fun and games but I'm also hoping to maintain a relatively clean sound when playing the LPs.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll attempt to incorporate the ADC and Transporter first, if that doesn't work I can always add the pre-amp and bypass the Transporter altogether. This exercise is mainly meant for fun and games but I'm also hoping to maintain a relatively clean sound when playing the LPs.
    You also need an riaa stage aka phono amp ,unless you have a turntable with that built in ( not so common ) .

Have fun .