Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    14

    LMS on Linux vs Windows 8

    Hello,

    I am building a HTPC/media server/storage PC for the living room. It has a quad core i5 and 32GB RAM (overkill, but I want to run a few VMs). Would LMS run smoother, better on a Linux VM (e.g. a VortexBox) on this platform or would a native Win install, quite simpler, perform as well?

    Any further advice is much appreciated.

    Thanks
    Bert
    Last edited by albertcraig; 2012-12-11 at 09:53. Reason: clarification

  2. #2
    Senior Member gharris999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Santa Fe, NM
    Posts
    3,520
    Quote Originally Posted by albertcraig View Post
    Hello,

    I am building a HTPC/media server/storage PC for the living room. It has a quad core i5 and 32GB RAM (overkill, but I want to run a few VMs). Would LMS run smoother, better on a Linux VM (e.g. a VortexBox) on this platform or would a native Win install, quite simpler, perform as well?

    Any further advice is much appreciated.

    Thanks
    Bert
    I imagine that any answer you get, especially on this sub forum, is going to be somewhat partisan. I can say that from my experience, having run LMS on Linux, Windows 7 and OS X, my preferred OS is hands down a "server" edition of Linux. I.e., Linux running with no GUI. For me this has meant using either a Ubuntu server edition or Fedora set up to boot to run level 3 at startup. Other folks can speak to the VM aspect.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    894
    I don't think the decision is going to be down to performance. You've got plenty of hardware. I've run LMS on Windows 8 and Linux and had no trouble with either, even with significantly less hardware than you're throwing at the problem. Just pick whichever OS you feel most comfortable with and meets your other needs.
    1x SB1, 3x SB1g, 1x SB2, 1x SB3, 2x Booms

  4. #4
    Senior Member Millwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    806
    IMHO, the only issue is the base OS on the box. Good Linux setups will run forever without problem, are easy to upgrade and easy to add scripts that keep things sane. I run debian in an essentially headless way, using XWIN on a PC to manage it.

    If your base OS is windows, then you've already paid the price for keeping a windows system running, and I agree with the earlier posters that you may as well just run LMS on it.
    2 SB3, 1 Duet
    Debian Squeeze server LMS 7.9.4
    TP-Link AX1800 Wi-Fi 6 Router wireless network.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    14
    Thanks for all the feedback.

    I asked the original question because I have found LMS sometimes slow to respond on my current Intel quad core 8GB RAM machine with 64-bit Win7 Ultimate. I am currently attempting my first build of Vortexbox on an old Athlon 1800XP with a GB of RAM. It appears quite snappy but the library is still small. The Windows 7 instance has about 90K songs so that may explain the system hesitations.

    I will try the Windows LMS version and report back is I find it bit satisfactory.

    Thanks again for the help!
    Bert

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    894
    Quote Originally Posted by albertcraig View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback.

    I asked the original question because I have found LMS sometimes slow to respond on my current Intel quad core 8GB RAM machine with 64-bit Win7 Ultimate. I am currently attempting my first build of Vortexbox on an old Athlon 1800XP with a GB of RAM. It appears quite snappy but the library is still small. The Windows 7 instance has about 90K songs so that may explain the system hesitations.

    I will try the Windows LMS version and report back is I find it bit satisfactory.

    Thanks again for the help!
    Bert

    I know erland has provided detailed database optimization suggestions for users with large collections. You might try searching for some of his suggestions to see if you can improve your performance. I think you probably have plenty of hardware; the software just needs to be optimized.
    1x SB1, 3x SB1g, 1x SB2, 1x SB3, 2x Booms

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    413
    I went through what you experienced. I built a window vm to run lms, but ultimately went to ubuntu. There were 2 big reasons I found.

    Under linux you can tweak the configs more since the windows version is compiled you can't do that. Also I found scanning under linux using mounted nfs volumes is substantially faster than network drive letters under smb/cifs.

    Search for a thread called large collections and Earlands plugins or similar.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by sander View Post
    I went through what you experienced. I built a window vm to run lms, but ultimately went to ubuntu. There were 2 big reasons I found.

    Under linux you can tweak the configs more since the windows version is compiled you can't do that. Also I found scanning under linux using mounted nfs volumes is substantially faster than network drive letters under smb/cifs.

    Search for a thread called large collections and Earlands plugins or similar.
    Thanks Sander,

    Once the holiday arrive, I will tackle LMS optimisation on Windows and see if I can get around the lack of responsiveness. I will be working on a fresh install of Win 8 pro so that may help also. Will post results once finished

    Bert

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •