Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

How to rip from a Mini Disk and keep track gaps/titles

Hi,

I have a Denon MD player and also both a Mac and PC. Im trying to rip my MD's some of which have been recorded in Long Play and I also want to retain the track markings and names where possible, rather than have one long track. Can you offer any advice on the best way to do this please?

I am not worried about ripping them at quick speed, real time is fine. Whilst I have a PC, I would prefer if possible to use my Mac, but will use whatever is the most effective.

Thanks for your help!

I am interested too, cause I own the same Denon MD...thanks

Is this Denon minidisc a Hi-MD device? Were the recordings made on a Hi-MD device?

If the answer to one of these questions is "no", then there is not way to rip the tracks digitally. The only way to "rip" then would be the old fashioned way - connect the line out on the mindisc player to a line-in on your PC and record. You will have to recreate the track divisions in your audio recording software.

If the answer is "yes" to both questions, you will have to use the software that came with the device to rip the contents of the discs digitally - likely this is Sony's SonicStage.

I don't recall that anybody but Sony made Hi-MD devices, so I suspect you will have to do this the old fashioned way.

Good luck!
    Rich
    ---------
    Setup: 2 SB3s, 4 Booms, 1 Duet, 1 Receiver, 1 Touch, iPeng on iPod Touch, SqueezeCommander, OrangeSqueeze, and SqueezePlayer on Xoom and Galaxy Player 4.2. CentOS 6.3 Server running LogitechMediaServer 7.7.2 and SqueezeSlave.
    Current library stats: 40,810 songs, 3,153 albums, 582 artists.
    http://www.last.fm/user/maggior

I've got dozens of MDs of archived music performances from TV shows (Letterman, SNL, etc.). I've just been using a TOSlink cable into a standalone CD recorder, then sucking the CD's bits into the computer. Not very elegant (and obviously doesn't keep title information), but it works.

The recordings have a lot of sentimental value to me and many would not be easy to replace, so it's worth the extra work.