Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Win7 firewall and server / duet

Hi all,

First post and its b/c I need a guide for dummies.

I have win7 64bit, and a duet with the latest 7.7.3 nightly as of this posting. I have had the duet for years, but it always seems to have issues. Lately, the duet has had trouble finding my server and connecting to it. I did some investigating and troubleshooting, and it seems the win7 firewall is at fault. If i completely disable the "private network" portion of the win7 firewall, server finds the duet. (sometimes i have to log off/log on, but one way or another, if this part of the firewall is off, it all works, and if its on, its MIA). For whatever reason, when LMS install itself, it does not give win7 good "rules" for the firewall. This is upsetting.

I tried following the advice here http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...826#post618826 but I got nowhere. I have deleted all the server related firewall rules, but the rules I am making just don't work.

If someone would be so kind as to give a truly step by painful step guide for the dumbest of dummies, that would be wonderful. I need something that gives me no benefit of intelligence at all. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by BJW; 2012-11-22 at 19:12.

I should clarify that in my firewall, "Domain Profile" and "Private Profile" are off, and "Public Profile" is on. Thats the "working" configuration.

There's a pretty good step by step walk through further down in the thread you referenced. Check post #22 in that thread and see if it helps.
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 7.9.4 Official on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 7.9.3 Official on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B/Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave
    Test system - LMS 8.0 nightly on Win10Pro - Squeezeplay
    Squeezebox Boom - "At Large" player around both home and cabin
    Headphones and car - Android phone/Bluetooth w/full library on MicroSD card - PowerAmp music player app (similar to Material Skin)

Hi and thanks for that reply. I did see that, and this is by no means a knock on that post or poster, but a comment on my lack of skills. In other words, I tried that and got nowhere. I know I must be doing something stupid, but I can't figure out the error. Thats why I am requesting the painful step by step that verbosely describes exactly how and what to click and do.

I would be very appreciative if someone would do so, because right now I am having to leave the private firewall portion disabled. Thats ok for now, but I don't want that to become my new normal.

Thanks.

Let's try taking the KIS approach first. A question... Is this a desktop type PC that never goes anywhere? If so it may help things if you run it with a static IP on your network. This will simplify some things like answering the question of "what IP do I use to access the SqueezeServer UI from another device on my network?".

Now to try the simple way. Uninstall your SqueezeServer (Slimserver or LMS depending which "name of the week" we're on) and also delete the Squeezebox directory in C:\ProgramData.

Go into your firewall and set Domain and private back to normal (On, block inbound and allow outbound). Delete all Squeezebox inbound and outbound rules.

Now install your chosen SqueezeServer. I think you will get a security prompt asking if you want to allow the program to communcate over the network. Just say Yes. This should create the correct required firewall rules. Squeeze will need to do a full scan of your library too.

You may or may not need to do a factory reset on the Duet controller and receiver to get them reconnected.
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 7.9.4 Official on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 7.9.3 Official on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B/Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave
    Headphones and car - Android phone/Bluetooth w/full library on MicroSD card - PowerAmp music player app (similar to Material Skin)

hi,

I finally tried something, but no luck.

I had a 7.7.3 install that didn't work as I described above. I then turned back on the firewall and installed the Mar 21 7.8 nightly on top. it did not fix the issue. I turned off the private network half of the firewall and all was well again.

I am reluctant to fully uninstall and delete everything and try a fresh 7.8 install b/c I would have to setup everything from scratch. it seems to me that this is instead a bug and that server should be fixed so that when upgrade installs are done, it checks the firewall rules to make sure the right ones are there, and the wrong ones removed.

how can I fix the current install by manually correcting the firewall rules?
    Using: Win7 64 + LMS 7.9 & Duet & ipads w/the logitech app, and ipeng on an ipod
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph..._Artists_logic & http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Compilations

Add "squeeze.exe" into the firewall exceptions for starters.

Quote Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
    Add "squeeze.exe" into the firewall exceptions for starters.
    done, as squeezesvr.exe, but it did not help.
    Using: Win7 64 + LMS 7.9 & Duet & ipads w/the logitech app, and ipeng on an ipod
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph..._Artists_logic & http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Compilations

Don't know if this will help, but this thread may be of interest. A while back we had a problem with the win7 firewall and this thread might be what you're looking for.
    http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...ng-SBS-(7-5-4)
    edit: never mind, I see this was pretty much looked at in the beginning.
    Last edited by w3wilkes; 2014-03-23 at 22:28.

I would really appreciate it if someone who has win7 and the firewall fully "on" would post the actual firewall rules / exceptions as pertains to the server that allow the thing to work.

I could try to reproduce and see if it fixes my issue. whatever the problem is, I am sure that it revolves around the fact that when the firewall is on, the hardware can't reach the server.