Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    Maggior - I understand your frustration, but I don't think I share your indignation. I don't believe that a manufacturer should necessarily feel any obligation to make sure that all future hardware revisions should remain compatible with all old versions of the software. It doesn't seem unreasonable to me that someone buying a new piece of hardware should be required to run an up-to-date version of the software.

Aside from this philosophical point, current versions of the server software are pretty good in my experience. I was running 7.7.something with no issues, and upgraded to a 7.8 beta, also with no issues.
    Any manufacturer that doesn't think it's necessary is sure to piss its customer base off. With customer expectations the way they are today, that's not such a great idea.

What if Apple changed the internals of their iPhone with no updates to model names or model numbers. Let's say that these new iPhones would only update and sync using the new iTunes 11 and give mysterious failure messages when they failed to update and sync. And let's say that they didn't put anything in their documentation to indicate this fact and left it up to their loyal customers to discover this and figure it out for themselves. You don't think that the customer base would become indignant?
    Rich
    ---------
    Setup: 2 SB3s, 4 Booms, 1 Duet, 1 Receiver, 1 Touch, iPeng on iPod Touch, SqueezeCommander, OrangeSqueeze, and SqueezePlayer on Xoom and Galaxy Player 4.2. CentOS 6.3 Server running LogitechMediaServer 7.7.2 and SqueezeSlave.
    Current library stats: 40,810 songs, 3,153 albums, 582 artists.
    http://www.last.fm/user/maggior

Quote Originally Posted by maggior View Post
    You don't think that the customer base would become indignant?
    In the case of Apple? No. At least they wouldn't admit it.

Actually, Apple _is_ doing things like that. Maybe not exactly the same thing, but with similar effects.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Setting my feelings toward logitech aside, I wanted to thank those that helped me figure out the situation with my squeezebox Radio. Thanks to you guys, I have it working and am comfortable that I understand the situation with it and know what it is compatable with.

One thing that has remained constant throughout the entire squeezebox product life - the community here is amazingly helpful and a pleasure to be a part of.
    Rich
    ---------
    Setup: 2 SB3s, 4 Booms, 1 Duet, 1 Receiver, 1 Touch, iPeng on iPod Touch, SqueezeCommander, OrangeSqueeze, and SqueezePlayer on Xoom and Galaxy Player 4.2. CentOS 6.3 Server running LogitechMediaServer 7.7.2 and SqueezeSlave.

Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    Aside from this philosophical point, current versions of the server software are pretty good in my experience. I was running 7.7.something with no issues, and upgraded to a 7.8 beta, also with no issues.
    My feeling is that 7.7.2 is the best release since 7.5.5, at least as long as you disable image/video scanning.
    7.7.2 have some advantages and some disadvantages compared to 7.5.5, so it depends on how you use it if 7.5.5 or 7.7.2 works best.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Lead platform developer of ickStream Music Platform - A world of music at your fingertips

(Also developer of many plugins/applets)

Quote Originally Posted by erland View Post
    My feeling is that 7.7.2 is the best release since 7.5.5, at least as long as you disable image/video scanning.
    7.7.2 have some advantages and some disadvantages compared to 7.5.5, so it depends on how you use it if 7.5.5 or 7.7.2 works best.
    That's good to know and gives me some confidence in upgrading.

Thanks Erland!
    Rich
    ---------

Quote Originally Posted by maggior View Post
    That's good to know and gives me some confidence in upgrading.

Thanks Erland!
    +1. I use 7.7.2 on two windows machines and also in two linux (vortexbox) machines. No issues with my own music (70,000 flac files takes about an hour to scan and an older library with 206,000 lossy files takes a bit less than 4 hours to scan). Most have artwork. All works smoothly and I also use various plugins (most of erlands stuff related to dynamic playlists, etc.), scrobbling, various apps (mog, sirriusXM, etc.). My setups run for months at a time without a reboot. Only time i'm rebooting system is do do an update, etc. knock on wood, rock solid for me.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Downgrade succeeded

Hi Guys,

First of all I'd like to share with you my disappointment with the UE Smart Radio. Shame on me I didn't read enough before buying. I was sure this little music box would be better than it's predecessor but it's quite the opposite. A lot of cool features have been removed and the one I wanted the most with the UE Smart Radio wasn't there: playing music locally using my Synology NAS.

I decided to downgrade the firmware to baby 7.7.2 (r9663), thanks to some useful posts I found on this forum. So far, I've encountered no issues at all. Here's the information of my UE:

Code:
    #cat /etc/squeezeos.version
    10.0.1 r16963
    root@ec2mbubld01.idc.logitech.com Thu Nov 8 09:33:51 PST 2012
    Base build revision:  b4b03b7fc83610c2bcd43bd71a8461768cfd2519

#cat /proc/cpuinfo
    Processor       : ARM926EJ-S rev 4 (v5l)
    BogoMIPS        : 359.62
    Features        : swp half thumb fastmult edsp java
    CPU implementer : 0x41
    CPU architecture: 5TEJ
    CPU variant     : 0x0
    CPU part        : 0x926
    CPU revision    : 4
    Cache type      : write-back
    Cache clean     : cp15 c7 ops
    Cache lockdown  : format C
    Cache format    : Harvard
    I size          : 16384
    I assoc         : 4
    I line length   : 32
    I sets          : 128
    D size          : 16384
    D assoc         : 4
    D line length   : 32
    D sets          : 128

Hardware        : Logitech MX25 Baby Board
    Revision        : 0007
    Serial          :
    UUID            :
    If it can be of any help for someone else, here's what I did:

1 - Start the UE Smart Radio
    2 - Go into the Settings menu and press button Home and ffwd(>>). A new Developers menu will appear at the bottom.
    3 - Go into the Developers menu and enable remote access (SSH)
    4 - Reboot the UE Smart Radio by holding down the power button and pressing it again
    5 - ssh on your smart radio (You can find the IP address somewhere in the Settings menu) using root as the user and 1234 for the password
    6 - You need to edit a lua script to add the FirmwareUpgrade option. Do the following:
    Code:
    #vi /usr/share/jive/applets/SetupFirmwareUpgrade/SetupFirmwareUpgradeMeta.lua
    Now find the following line

-- jiveMain:addItem(meta:menuItem('appletSetupFirmwar eUpgrade', 'advancedSettings',
    "UPDATE", function(applet) applet:showFirmwareUpgradeMenu() end, 115))

You need to uncomment this line by deleting the "--". Type :wq! (Save and quit)

7 - Reboot the UE Smart Radio by holding down the power button and pressing it again
    8 - Download the 7.7.2 Revision 9663 firmware http://update.mysqueezebox.com/updat....7.2_r9663.bin
    9 - Copy the firmware on your Smart Radio in directory /dev (using scp or any other software) since it's the only partition with enough disk space
    10 - Create a symlink using the following command so the smart radio sees the new firmware:
    Code:
    #cd /media
    #ln -s /dev/baby_7.7.2_r9663.bin baby_7.7.2_r9663.bin
    11 - Go in to Settings->AdvancedSettings->FirmwareUpgrade (something like that) and do the upgrade
    12 - When the squeezebox (!) has finished rebooting, you will be happy and I strongly suggest that you do a factory reset (Go in Settings -> Advanced -> Restore factory settings)

Quote Originally Posted by simlu View Post
    Hi Guys,

First of all I'd like to share with you my disappointment with the UE Smart Radio. Shame on me I didn't read enough before buying. I was sure this little music box would be better than it's predecessor but it's quite the opposite. A lot of cool features have been removed and the one I wanted the most with the UE Smart Radio wasn't there: playing music locally using my Synology NAS.

I decided to downgrade the firmware to baby 7.7.2 (r9663), thanks to some useful posts I found on this forum. So far, I've encountered no issues at all. Here's the information of my UE:
    Thanks so much for posting these step by step details! Very well written. If I find I have a hankering for another radio, this is definitely an option!

An update regarding my situation - I've successfully upgraded my server to 7.7.2 and thing are running swimmingly. I also update the OS in my server and installed an SSD for the OS. Overall, it is much snappier, which may be in large part due to the server upgrades. I'm happy with how my system is running now and it's good to be running a current version of the server. At least the last version of the server software is robust.
    Rich
    ---------

It works! Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by simlu View Post
    Hi Guys,

You are a true legend, just done this on my retail UE Smart Radio and now I have a Squeezebox Radio and can get it to work how I want.

Thank you.