Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Paul Wisneskey
    Guest

    RSS Feeds when client is off?

    I've recently upgraded to the latest 5.4 release and am really happy
    with it. In particular, the ability to have an RSS feed of the local
    weather has been enthusiastically appreciated by my wife. However, we'd
    really like to set it up so that our Squeezebox is displaying the RSS
    feeds when its in its "powered off" state (displaying the time and
    date). Is it possible to do this now? Is it something planned for
    further down the road? Ideally, the client would cycle between the time
    /date and a list of RSS feeds.

    - Paul

  2. #2

    RSS Feeds when client is off?

    Paul,

    There has been some discussion about being able to run screensavers
    while in the "off" state. Bug 649
    (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=649) currently covers this
    idea.

    --Vidur

    Paul Wisneskey wrote:

    > I've recently upgraded to the latest 5.4 release and am really happy
    > with it. In particular, the ability to have an RSS feed of the local
    > weather has been enthusiastically appreciated by my wife. However,
    > we'd really like to set it up so that our Squeezebox is displaying the
    > RSS feeds when its in its "powered off" state (displaying the time and
    > date). Is it possible to do this now? Is it something planned for
    > further down the road? Ideally, the client would cycle between the
    > time /date and a list of RSS feeds.
    >
    > - Paul
    >
    >

  3. #3
    Paul Wisneskey
    Guest

    RSS Feeds when client is off?

    Vidur,

    Thanks for the quick follow up and apologies for not finding the bug
    report myself :-). I wasn't thinking of my request in terms of
    screensavers and only searched on "RSS" and "off".

    FWIW, I don't mind the idea of a powered off unit initially displaying
    the date/time until the screensaver kicks in though I do think the
    ability to configure two screensavers is desirable (one for "on" and one
    for "off"). I prefer the now playing screensaver when the unit is on
    and only want the RSS feeds screensaver when the unit is off. Then I'll
    just have to find an RSS feed for the current date and time. ;-)

    - Paul



    Vidur Apparao wrote:
    >
    > Paul,
    >
    > There has been some discussion about being able to run screensavers
    > while in the "off" state. Bug 649
    > (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=649) currently covers this
    > idea.
    >
    > --Vidur
    >
    > Paul Wisneskey wrote:
    >
    >> I've recently upgraded to the latest 5.4 release and am really happy
    >> with it. In particular, the ability to have an RSS feed of the local
    >> weather has been enthusiastically appreciated by my wife. However,
    >> we'd really like to set it up so that our Squeezebox is displaying the
    >> RSS feeds when its in its "powered off" state (displaying the time and
    >> date). Is it possible to do this now? Is it something planned for
    >> further down the road? Ideally, the client would cycle between the
    >> time /date and a list of RSS feeds.
    >>
    >> - Paul
    >>
    >>

  4. #4
    David Cohen
    Guest

    RSS Feeds when client is off?

    Paul,

    I take by your smiley that you aren't serious about the RSS feed for the
    date and time. Which is good because it wouldn't work. The plugin
    caches the RSS feeds for an hour or so before refetching (it could be
    smarter and look for clues from the feed as to how long to wait).

    However the idea of modifying the plugin to display time and date
    between feeds is an interesting one. It could display Now Playing info,
    too.

    And here's an idea that's either stupid or brilliant (or both): an RSS
    server plugin, which makes the SlimServer serve up its own feed, with
    info like the current time and now playing. Then the current plugin
    could just retrieve that feed like it does any other (or course it would
    have to not cache the result).

    Hmmm....

    -Dave


    On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 11:51:07 -0600, "Paul Wisneskey"
    <pwisneskey (AT) objectsciences (DOT) com> said:
    > Vidur,
    >
    > Thanks for the quick follow up and apologies for not finding the bug
    > report myself :-). I wasn't thinking of my request in terms of
    > screensavers and only searched on "RSS" and "off".
    >
    > FWIW, I don't mind the idea of a powered off unit initially displaying
    > the date/time until the screensaver kicks in though I do think the
    > ability to configure two screensavers is desirable (one for "on" and one
    > for "off"). I prefer the now playing screensaver when the unit is on
    > and only want the RSS feeds screensaver when the unit is off. Then I'll
    > just have to find an RSS feed for the current date and time. ;-)
    >
    > - Paul
    >

  5. #5
    NOT a Slim Devices Employee kdf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    9,493

    RSS Feeds when client is off?

    I've posted this to the bug report, but perhaps this needs to be made available
    for public opinion as well.

    a little bit of history:

    Originally, the screensavers were ONLY for when idle. While playing, the "NOW
    PLAYING" display functioned as a screensaver. Squeeky wheel comes along, and
    'now playing' becomes simply one of many screensavers. Screensavers would
    henceforth kick in regardless of playback as long as the player was not in
    'off' mode. As the screensavers, each, are modes of their own, having a
    screensaver is 'off' mode is by definition impossible. The screensaver would
    move the player out of 'off' mode, into the screensaver mode. Thus, all
    current tests to check if the player is off would be broken. While its
    possible to change this in the server, all plugins that do the same tests would
    be broken too. It is not a simple thing to arrange for all plugins to be fixed
    as this relies on users to download the updates themselves. Many do not, and
    end up coming to the list to complain about a 'serious problem' that can take
    up a lot of support time before anyone realises its due to a broken plugin.

    So, 'off' mode pretty much has to stay as 'off' mode. one possible way to work
    within this, is to find a way to refer to any existing screensavers' dislay
    function (lines()). If so, we can simply replace the off linefunc with the
    chosen screensaver's function. The catch here is that some screensavers arent
    just displays. TinyLittlePacman has a button set all to itself, thus it would
    be broken if chosen for 'off' screensaver.

    Now, there is the fact that 'off' mode is, in reality, a total fake. The player
    is not really off; its just a different mode to let ppl feel comfortable by
    having the ability to press a big red button. Perhaps there could be a way to
    go into a screensaver mode, but still have it labelled as "off" mode as far as
    anything else is concerned. This would involve overwriting the 'off' mode
    parameters with those of the chosen screensaver. Some sanity checks would have
    to be in place in order to restore the normal 'off' mode if anything
    inappropriate were to happen.

    Other option, as touched upon in a few cases is to leave 'off' as 'off'. If you
    want RSS feeds when 'off', just set the screensaver to 'rss feed' and leave it
    alone. it will go into that mode after the timeout (tell yourself its
    automatically turning off, if you have to). When the player is actually
    playing a song ....well, personally I dont know why "now playing" isn't the
    only choice, but there could easily be a setting to use only when there is
    curent playback. Maybe this will mean more when the visualiser works. This
    way, a now playing screensaver could be a fullscreen spectrum display.

    The problem is, 'off' still exits and people will always want to 'power off'
    their player and likely not be happy that the clock is the only display.

    -kdf


    Quoting Paul Wisneskey <pwisneskey (AT) objectsciences (DOT) com>:

    > Vidur,
    >
    > Thanks for the quick follow up and apologies for not finding the bug
    > report myself :-). I wasn't thinking of my request in terms of
    > screensavers and only searched on "RSS" and "off".
    >
    > FWIW, I don't mind the idea of a powered off unit initially displaying
    > the date/time until the screensaver kicks in though I do think the
    > ability to configure two screensavers is desirable (one for "on" and one
    > for "off"). I prefer the now playing screensaver when the unit is on
    > and only want the RSS feeds screensaver when the unit is off. Then I'll
    > just have to find an RSS feed for the current date and time. ;-)
    >
    > - Paul

  6. #6
    Paul Wisneskey
    Guest

    RSS Feeds when client is off?

    David Cohen wrote:
    > Paul,
    >
    > I take by your smiley that you aren't serious about the RSS feed for the
    > date and time. Which is good because it wouldn't work. The plugin
    > caches the RSS feeds for an hour or so before refetching (it could be
    > smarter and look for clues from the feed as to how long to wait).



    It was a joke as you surmised. I almost included a musing about how
    useful it would be to have access to feeds for times from around the
    globe. :-p

    > However the idea of modifying the plugin to display time and date
    > between feeds is an interesting one. It could display Now Playing info,
    > too.


    I like that idea a lot. So far to my wife, the Squeezebox has been a
    very expensive clock. She hasn't quite figured it out enough (my fault
    for not being the patient teacher) to be comfortable with it (but
    already likes it better than our now retired Audiotron). She was very
    excited to see that it could display the weather too but didn't like the
    fact that it required her to navigate to the RSS Feeds sub-menu.

    Having the screensaver rotate between time/date and now-playing would be
    nice since it would display everything we'd like to see. It would be
    really neat if the RSS feeds could be done as some sort of scrolling
    marquee above or below the now playing information.

    > And here's an idea that's either stupid or brilliant (or both): an RSS
    > server plugin, which makes the SlimServer serve up its own feed, with
    > info like the current time and now playing. Then the current plugin
    > could just retrieve that feed like it does any other (or course it would
    > have to not cache the result).
    >


    That could have lots of other uses - for people who like to post their
    currently playing information to a web/page/blog etc. I'm not too up on
    RSS - this is my first time messing with it, but is it possible to
    include a link to the slimserver's stream in it? You could then publish
    your own radio station as an RSS feed...

    > Hmmm....


    Darn it, I might just have to relearn perl (my O'reilly perl book is
    dated 1991) just so I can start playing with this. I'm already
    contemplating creating an RSS feed of the high scores on my pinball
    machines since the Pinball 2000 platform (which I did some work on)
    includes a basic web server.

    - Paul

  7. #7
    Jason Snell
    Guest

    RSS Feeds when client is off?

    David Cohen wrote:

    >I take by your smiley that you aren't serious about the RSS feed for the
    >date and time. Which is good because it wouldn't work.


    I was thinking of something similar, though -- and no smiley here.
    I've got a weather station at my house. I would _love_ to have my
    Squeezebox display the outside temp alongside the time when the
    unit's off. I've got the temperature in an easy-to-parse text file on
    the same server that Slim Server is using, and I could even output it
    to a text file all on its own if necessary. (I also have it set as an
    RSS feed, but of course it doesn't update as often as I'd like, and
    doesn't solve the issue of display it at the most appropriate time,
    which is next to the time when the item is off!

    Anybody have any ideas? :-)

    -jason
    --
    Jason Snell / Editorial Director, Mac Publishing / jsnell (AT) macworld (DOT) com
    415-243-3565 / AIM: MW jsnell / www.macworld.com / www.playlistmag.com

  8. #8
    NOT a Slim Devices Employee kdf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    9,493

    RSS Feeds when client is off?

    Quoting Jason Snell <jsnell (AT) macworld (DOT) com>:

    > David Cohen wrote:
    >
    > >I take by your smiley that you aren't serious about the RSS feed for the
    > >date and time. Which is good because it wouldn't work.

    >
    > I was thinking of something similar, though -- and no smiley here.
    > I've got a weather station at my house. I would _love_ to have my
    > Squeezebox display the outside temp alongside the time when the
    > unit's off. I've got the temperature in an easy-to-parse text file on
    > the same server that Slim Server is using, and I could even output it
    > to a text file all on its own if necessary. (I also have it set as an
    > RSS feed, but of course it doesn't update as often as I'd like, and
    > doesn't solve the issue of display it at the most appropriate time,
    > which is next to the time when the item is off!
    >
    > Anybody have any ideas? :-)


    slim-konfabulator??

    -kdf

  9. #9
    David Jameson
    Guest

    RSS Feeds when client is off?

    Hmmm, why not have it play music while it's switched off, too? Maybe we
    could then get our computers to work when they're switched off. And then my
    TV. Oh - how about making my fridge and oven work while they're powered off
    as well?

    What a great way to save energy!

    <grin>

    David Jameson




    "Paul Wisneskey"
    <pwisneskey (AT) objectsciences (DOT) com> wrote in
    message news:cn2mok$12j$1 (AT) sea (DOT) gmane.org...
    > I've recently upgraded to the latest 5.4 release and am really happy with
    > it. In particular, the ability to have an RSS feed of the local weather
    > has been enthusiastically appreciated by my wife. However, we'd really
    > like to set it up so that our Squeezebox is displaying the RSS feeds when
    > its in its "powered off" state (displaying the time and date). Is it
    > possible to do this now? Is it something planned for further down the
    > road? Ideally, the client would cycle between the time /date and a list
    > of RSS feeds.
    >
    > - Paul

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •