Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    can be. depending on what sort of external drive and how connected, I've read that there are problems with C2 error correction, etc. However, I know it *can* be done if setup properly. If I planned on ripping with my VB, I'd set it up with an internal DVD/CD drive.
    I doubt that I will be doing much ripping. It just would be great having the possibility, but I guess it mainly depends on what solution I finally decide on...

Quote Originally Posted by ButC View Post
    I doubt that I will be doing much ripping. It just would be great having the possibility, but I guess it mainly depends on what solution I finally decide on...
    I normally rip with dbpa on my windows machine. But occasionally with a bad disk, I need to try to rip on a different machine with different drive. So I use my VBA ripper for that (and that often solves my ripping problem for that disk).
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

I normally rip with dbpa on my windows machine. But occasionally with a bad disk, I need to try to rip on a different machine with different drive. So I use my VBA ripper for that (and that often solves my ripping problem for that disk).
    I actually hadn't really thought of that possibility; that is, for me, of course the most convenient way... After reading up on Vortexbox I immediately got stuck on it being able to rip blurays... which could come in handy. Anyone that has any experience from ripping those with Vortexbox?

I actually hadn't really thought of that possibility; that is, for me, of course the most convenient way... After reading up on Vortexbox I immediately got stuck on it being able to rip blurays... which could come in handy. Anyone that has any experience from ripping those with Vortexbox?
    I've ripped DVDs with no issue (to video, to be played on TV, etc.), but no blurays. My VB machines don't have bluray capable drives (which one would need).
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

I've ripped DVDs with no issue (to video, to be played on TV, etc.), but no blurays. My VB machines don't have bluray capable drives (which one would need).
    I hope one could use an external bluray? How about attaching ones PS3 and using it for playing blueray discs? And one more question: does it work well to add direct url radio stations in Vortexbox?

The only possibility to rip BDs under Linux I know of (and which worked for me) is MakeMKV (http://makemkv.com/). It is not free software, but you can get an official temporary license key on their homepage as long as it is in beta state.

Ime I've found that with headless linux any hardware with x86 cpu single core 1,2mHz 1GB ram is sufficient if you have say 3-6 squeezeboxes .

I've now using a 2*core N36 HP microserver ,wich is perfect for my needs
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by signor_rossi View Post
    The only possibility to rip BDs under Linux I know of (and which worked for me) is MakeMKV (http://makemkv.com/). It is not free software, but you can get an official temporary license key on their homepage as long as it is in beta state.
    Okey, when I read through it I just got the impression MakeMKV was bundled with Vortexbox. Then it's probably better to get an external bluray for my pc and do eventual ripping that way...

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    Ime I've found that with headless linux any hardware with x86 cpu single core 1,2mHz 1GB ram is sufficient if you have say 3-6 squeezeboxes .

I've now using a 2*core N36 HP microserver ,wich is perfect for my needs
    That's good to hear, then one can focus on getting something with a low power consumption.

How about the adding of direct url radio stations in Vortexbox? This is probably what I'll be using the most.