Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 353 of 356 FirstFirst ... 253303343351352353354355 ... LastLast
Results 3,521 to 3,530 of 3556
    Thanks. Let me know if something comes to mind. I have the same problem, memory wise.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeh49 View Post
    updated squeezelite to 1.9.5 armel binary
    selected the hwpug: device for output (-o etc) - result 22.05 kHz stream now plays, but with crackling and distortion, similar crackling and distortion on 44.1 kHz streams
    forced 16 bit alsa and no MMAP with the -a parameter: -a 40::16:0 - result crackling and distortion remains on 22.05 kHz stream, 44.1 kHz are better but not as good as when using a non hwplug: device, i.e., front:CARD=...
    Just to make nothing else has happened. You were previously using 1.6.* and everything played OK except 22.05kHz stream. Does 1.9.5 work as before - still OK for all sources except 22.05kHz stream

Yes, as long as I do not use the plughw: device. Specifically this works:
    Code:
    -o front:CARD=DAC,DEV=0
    MMAP is off as with 1.6.5.
    Code:
    -a 40::16:0
    Last edited by mikeh49; 2019-10-22 at 12:53. Reason: Correct name for plughw:

Yes, as long as I do not use the hwplug: device.
    Just to be sure you mean plughw: and not hwplug ?

I'm not sure what your comment about "front:" device really means. Can you elaborate.

edit:

Do you mean when playing all the stream and file that played OK with front: on 1.6.5 they also play OK with 1.9.5 on front:
    and all the stream and file play with crackles with plughw: on 1.6.5 they also play with crackle with 1.9.5 on plughw:
    Last edited by bpa; 2019-10-22 at 12:17.

Yes, plughw:

Code:
    root@PogoMobile:~# squeezelite -l
    Output devices:
      null                           - Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
      default:CARD=DAC               - USB Audio DAC, USB Audio - Default Audio Device
      sysdefault:CARD=DAC            - USB Audio DAC, USB Audio - Default Audio Device
      front:CARD=DAC,DEV=0           - USB Audio DAC, USB Audio - Front speakers
      surround21:CARD=DAC,DEV=0      - USB Audio DAC, USB Audio - 2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
      surround40:CARD=DAC,DEV=0      - USB Audio DAC, USB Audio - 4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
      surround41:CARD=DAC,DEV=0      - USB Audio DAC, USB Audio - 4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
      surround50:CARD=DAC,DEV=0      - USB Audio DAC, USB Audio - 5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
      surround51:CARD=DAC,DEV=0      - USB Audio DAC, USB Audio - 5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
      surround71:CARD=DAC,DEV=0      - USB Audio DAC, USB Audio - 7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
      iec958:CARD=DAC,DEV=0          - USB Audio DAC, USB Audio - IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
      dmix:CARD=DAC,DEV=0            - USB Audio DAC, USB Audio - Direct sample mixing device
      dsnoop:CARD=DAC,DEV=0          - USB Audio DAC, USB Audio - Direct sample snooping device
      hw:CARD=DAC,DEV=0              - USB Audio DAC, USB Audio - Direct hardware device without any conversions
      plughw:CARD=DAC,DEV=0          - USB Audio DAC, USB Audio - Hardware device with all software conversions
    The command line for squeezelite is:

Code:
    squeezelite -o front:CARD=DAC,DEV=0 -n PogoMobile -a 40::16:0
    All streams that played properly on 1.6.5 using the front: device also play on 1.9.5 using the front: device. AFAIK, these are all 44.1 kHz streams, at least the 4 or 5 that I checked for sample rate. The 20.05 kHz streams do not play with either 1.6.5 or 1.9.5.
    Using plughw: on 1.9.5, all streams, both 20.05 kHz and 44.1 kHz play with crackles, forcing 16 bit in the -a parameter seems to remove the crackles from the 44.1 streams.
    I don't think I tried plughw: on 1.6.5.
    Last edited by mikeh49; 2019-10-22 at 13:02.

Update: Station will return to 44.1 kHz

I contacted the station about this and they discovered the problem is on their end; they should be at 44.1 kHz. They will fix it after the pledge drive this weekend. Public radio.

But, I'm interested in any possible solutions from an educational standpoint.

Thanks.

Code:
    squeezelite -o front:CARD=DAC,DEV=0 -n PogoMobile -a 40::16:0
    All streams that played properly on 1.6.5 using the front: device also play on 1.9.5 using the front: device. AFAIK, these are all 44.1 kHz streams, at least the 4 or 5 that I checked for sample rate. The 20.05 kHz streams do not play with either 1.6.5 or 1.9.5.
    Using plughw: on 1.9.5, all streams, both 20.05 kHz and 44.1 kHz play with crackles, forcing 16 bit in the -a parameter seems to remove the crackles from the 44.1 streams.
    I don't think I tried plughw: on 1.6.5.
    OK - that clarifies things.

I don't know the specific effects of the various "-a" parameters but on my system 40 is the default value - so it effective does nothing. I would thought increasing it to something like 80 would be a test

Also when testing the parameters I would start by only changing one at a time.

To see the ALSA setting actually being used add the "-d output=debug" logging option - it will also give details on supported rate and whether some parameters have been rejected.

I contacted the station about this and they discovered the problem is on their end; they should be at 44.1 kHz. They will fix it after the pledge drive this weekend. Public radio.
    Not sure what this mistakes says more about the broadcaster or the listeners.

But, I'm interested in any possible solutions from an educational standpoint.
    Enable the squeezelite logging is the starting point to see what actual ALSA value are being used as they are not necesssarily that same as those requested.

Browsers and their app handled the bitrate just fine. I can count the number of their squeezelite users on one finger, I expect.

Browsers and their app handled the bitrate just fine. I can count the number of their squeezelite users on one finger, I expect.
    I was thinking about whether anybody noticed the audio quality - 22.05kHz MP3 should be noticeable on a classical station.