Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 352 of 352 FirstFirst ... 252302342350351352
Results 3,511 to 3,512 of 3512
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmonaut_75 View Post
    Oh boy, yes, it is a lot of work. I got into the plugins without having read your post. Minimserver is much more stable and straightforward in that regard...
    I had some difficulties with 'Work' and 'Group' tags in minimserver, but eventually got a solution that works for me. I think most people end up with their own solutions for classical.
    LMS 7.9.2 on PC, Xubuntu 18.04, FLACs 16->24 bit, 44.1->192kbps. 2 Touchs & EDO.
    LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (A308CR amp & ESLs) & Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.
    Also Minimserver & Upplay to same & to upmpdcli/mpd PC renderers.
    Squeezelite to Meridian USB Explorer DAC to PC speakers/headphones.
    Wireless Xubuntu 18.04 laptop firefox/upplay or Android 'phone with Squeeze-Commander/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.

Hi there.

JustFYI. I brought up the linear volume control issue some time back.

I completely rewrote (for myself) the linear volume control for external audio devices,
    replacing the old stuff from squeezelite. I'm running it for a couple of months now.

The VC now follows a simple logarithmic curve and is giving me a 1dB/click change.
    I tested it on several RPI HAT DACs that I have around here.

What a nice and never known experience.
    The volume gets nicely and consistent up&down and at e.g. 6 clicks (94) you know that you're
    at -6dB.

Background:
    Modern DACs like the ESS SABRE 9038xxx offer excellent sometimes even preferable on-DAC volume controls.
    Usually 1 or 0.5dB steps are offered through the DAC driver. Since that on-DAC curve is already logarithmic
    squeezelite/LMS just needs a very simple mapping: 100=0dB 99=-1dB asf. And that simple mapping doesn't exist.

While running the tests I even found a VC related driver issue on the Allo Katana DAC.
    It took me a while to get them looking into it. Now it's fixed. Now also the Katana
    does 1dB/click.

I also issued trouble-tickets on LMS. I mentioned the issues (ambigous and swapped values on LMS VC)
    related to the squeezelite volumecurve.
    It's been a while. I pretty much doubt that anybody will ever look into it.
    I did also figure out the VC algorithm/curve is hardcoded on LMS.
    While looking into it, I realized the probably best way to cope with such an issue would be to think
    about a squeezelite-player-api on LMS in the future. squeezelite is probably the most used agent on LMS nowadays.
    And it'll remain that way for a while. Things like e.g. volume curve algorithm could then easily moved to squeezelite.
    Though I doubt that something like that will ever happen either.

Anyhow. I just wanted to let you know.

Enjoy squeezelite.
    Last edited by soundcheck; 2019-09-18 at 06:58.