Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Help! How do I install SqueezeSlave on Ubuntu Server 12.10 64bit?

I have been looking for some instructions that will explain how to install Squeezeslave on my Ubuntu Server box so I can plug in a pair of speakers and use it as a player in my office. Can anyone provide me with some noob friendly step-by-step instructions on how to install it and get it set up? I am at a loss!

Installing squeezeslave:

This is the method I use and I think it's appropriate for a headless server like the one you're configuring. There are other ways of doing this, of course.

Start by making sure you've installed the basic development environment:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update 
    sudo apt-get install build-essential autoconf subversion gettext autopoint libasound2-dev
    As a regular user with sudoers privilages (but not root), check out a copy of the latest code:

Code:
    cd ~

mkdir squeezeslave

svn checkout http://squeezeslave.googlecode.com/svn/squeezeslave/trunk/ squeezeslave
    Use this script to build squeezeslave. It creates a version of the makefile that disables the display stuff, which is appropriate as your server is headless.

~/squeezeslave_build.sh:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

# Switch to the squeezeslave dir with makefiles..
    eval cd "~${USER}/squeezeslave/squeezeslave"

echo "Building from $(pwd)"

# 64bit?
    if [ $(uname -m) = 'x86_64' ]; then
    	SOURCE='makefile.linux26-i64-alsa-display'
    	TARGET='makefile.linux26-i64-alsa-nodisplay'
    else
    	SOURCE='makefile.linux26-alsa-display'
    	TARGET='makefile.linux26-alsa-nodisplay'
    fi

# Can't find the makefile..
    if [ ! -e "$SOURCE" ]; then
    	echo "What the.."
    	exit 1
    fi

# Prepare a nodisplay makefile
    cp -f -v -p "$SOURCE" "$TARGET"

echo "Removing display support from ${TARGET}.."

# Comment out:
    # CFLAGS+=-DINTERACTIVE
    sed -i -e 's/^\(CFLAGS.*DINTERACTIVE\)$/#\1/' "$TARGET"

# Comment out:
    # LIBS+=-lcurses -llirc_client
    sed -i -e 's/^\(LIBS.*llirc_client\)$/#\1/' "$TARGET"

# Make sqeezeslave
    make -f "$TARGET" realclean
    make -f "$TARGET"

# If make successful, copy the executable to /usr/local/bin
    if [ -x ./bin/squeezeslave ]; then
      echo "Build completed.  Installing to /usr/local/bin.."
      sudo cp -v ./bin/squeezeslave /usr/local/bin/squeezeslave
      if [ -x /usr/local/bin/squeezeslave ]; then
        echo 'Squeezeslave installed.  Squeezeslave reports these audio devices on this system:'
        /usr/local/bin/squeezeslave -L
      fi
    fi

echo 'Done!'
    If the initial build attempt failed, consult Ralph's wiki page for more instructions: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...d_instructions

If the build did succeed, then the script will have prompted you for your password and then copied the squeezeslave executable to /usr/local/bin and then asked squeezeslave to report on what audio devices it sees on the system.

Assuming that all that went well, you can then use the script in the attached zip file to create and configure a service instance for squeezeslave. This script used a text "gui" to try to make picking the configuration parameters easy. The important parameters configured in the service are 1). a fake "mac address" which sets this squeezeslave as a player with a unique identity to SBS/LMS and 2). picking the correct audio output device. You may need to experiment with that last element in order to get things working.

Once everything is set, you should be able to just forget about squeezeslave. It will just "be there" running as a service in the background. You can control it with:

# sudo service squeezeslave start
    # sudo service squeezeslave stop
    # sudo service squeezeslave status

..and the SBS/LMS webUI should show the new squeezeslave "player" as available.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by gharris999; 2012-11-02 at 08:16.

Another alternative . Triodes new SqueezeLite maybe ? 32bit at the moment

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...ht=SqueezeLite
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by gharris999 View Post
    Installing squeezeslave:

This is the method I use and I think it's appropriate for a headless server like the one you're configuring. There are other ways of doing this, of course.

Start by making sure you've installed the basic development environment:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update 
    sudo apt-get install build-essential autoconf subversion gettext autopoint libasound2-dev
    As a regular user with sudoers privilages (but not root), check out a copy of the latest code:

Code:
    cd ~

mkdir squeezeslave

svn checkout http://squeezeslave.googlecode.com/svn/squeezeslave/trunk/ squeezeslave
    Use this script to build squeezeslave. It creates a version of the makefile that disables the display stuff, which is appropriate as your server is headless.

~/squeezeslave_build.sh:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

# Switch to the squeezeslave dir with makefiles..
    eval cd "~${USER}/squeezeslave/squeezeslave"

echo "Building from $(pwd)"

# 64bit?
    if [ $(uname -m) = 'x86_64' ]; then
    	SOURCE='makefile.linux26-i64-alsa-display'
    	TARGET='makefile.linux26-i64-alsa-nodisplay'
    else
    	SOURCE='makefile.linux26-alsa-display'
    	TARGET='makefile.linux26-alsa-nodisplay'
    fi

# Can't find the makefile..
    if [ ! -e "$SOURCE" ]; then
    	echo "What the.."
    	exit 1
    fi

# Prepare a nodisplay makefile
    cp -f -v -p "$SOURCE" "$TARGET"

echo "Removing display support from ${TARGET}.."

# Comment out:
    # CFLAGS+=-DINTERACTIVE
    sed -i -e 's/^\(CFLAGS.*DINTERACTIVE\)$/#\1/' "$TARGET"

# Comment out:
    # LIBS+=-lcurses -llirc_client
    sed -i -e 's/^\(LIBS.*llirc_client\)$/#\1/' "$TARGET"

# Make sqeezeslave
    make -f "$TARGET" realclean
    make -f "$TARGET"

# If make successful, copy the executable to /usr/local/bin
    if [ -x ./bin/squeezeslave ]; then
      echo "Build completed.  Installing to /usr/local/bin.."
      sudo cp -v ./bin/squeezeslave /usr/local/bin/squeezeslave
      if [ -x /usr/local/bin/squeezeslave ]; then
        echo 'Squeezeslave installed.  Squeezeslave reports these audio devices on this system:'
        /usr/local/bin/squeezeslave -L
      fi
    fi

echo 'Done!'
    If the initial build attempt failed, consult Ralph's wiki page for more instructions: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...d_instructions

If the build did succeed, then the script will have prompted you for your password and then copied the squeezeslave executable to /usr/local/bin and then asked squeezeslave to report on what audio devices it sees on the system.

Assuming that all that went well, you can then use the script in the attached zip file to create and configure a service instance for squeezeslave. This script used a text "gui" to try to make picking the configuration parameters easy. The important parameters configured in the service are 1). a fake "mac address" which sets this squeezeslave as a player with a unique identity to SBS/LMS and 2). picking the correct audio output device. You may need to experiment with that last element in order to get things working.

Once everything is set, you should be able to just forget about squeezeslave. It will just "be there" running as a service in the background. You can control it with:

# sudo service squeezeslave start
    # sudo service squeezeslave stop
    # sudo service squeezeslave status

..and the SBS/LMS webUI should show the new squeezeslave "player" as available.
    Thanks very much. This all worked in the end! I had to remove my old Soundblaster card and use the system sound first - then it worked after a lot of fiddling with the settings!

Works except I don't see a channel that will send music to bluetooth speaker

[QUOTE=gharris999;723502]Installing squeezeslave:

I really appreciate all the detail. I ran into NO problems building or installing. I'm hoping someone can suggest how to get squeezeslave to use the bluetooth speaker I have. I can successfully select the speaker using the sound application on Ubuntu and other applications are using it.

Anyone?