Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Playing Music from Android Device (e.g. Samsung Galaxy SIII, Note II)

Hello,

I'd like to know if there is a way to play music stored on an Android device that is connected to the same wifi network as the Squeezebox Touch.

I'm happy with any solution.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Cavcalade View Post
    Hello,

I'd like to know if there is a way to play music stored on an Android device that is connected to the same wifi network as the Squeezebox Touch.

I'm happy with any solution.

Thanks!
    There are three possibilities that I can see:

1) LMS on the android device. I don't think this exists, but it's not technically impossible.
    2) upnp server on the android device, local LMS server with upnp client. This probably exists and could be made to work after a fashion.
    3) samba server on android and local LMS which is pointed to the samba share.

I think #3 is probably your best bet. I have seen a samba server app for android (make SURE you get the samba SERVER app, not the samba CLIENT app). You will need LMS running on another computer (you cannot easily do this with the TinyLMS built into the Touch). Just set the LMS to look at the samba share from the android device as it's source of music files. You will need to set the workgroup name on both the android samba server and the computer LMS is running on to the same name. Then LMS will scan the files and you can use any of the squeezebox system control mechanisms for playing the music.

Note: I have NOT done this so I can't give tips on specific pitfalls, but it should work.

John S.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSwenson View Post
    There are three possibilities that I can see:

1) LMS on the android device. I don't think this exists, but it's not technically impossible.
    2) upnp server on the android device, local LMS server with upnp client. This probably exists and could be made to work after a fashion.
    3) samba server on android and local LMS which is pointed to the samba share.

I think #3 is probably your best bet. I have seen a samba server app for android (make SURE you get the samba SERVER app, not the samba CLIENT app). You will need LMS running on another computer (you cannot easily do this with the TinyLMS built into the Touch). Just set the LMS to look at the samba share from the android device as it's source of music files. You will need to set the workgroup name on both the android samba server and the computer LMS is running on to the same name. Then LMS will scan the files and you can use any of the squeezebox system control mechanisms for playing the music.

Note: I have NOT done this so I can't give tips on specific pitfalls, but it should work.

John S.
    Thank you very much for this detailed explanation! I'll give it a shot and see if it works.

If I get it to work, I'll explain exactly how I did it for anybody who wants to try the same.

The Samsung android phones/tablets such as those you mention generally have AllShare installed. These are UPNP/DLNA servers which should be able to share music from your phone.

I think you should be able to play music from these AllShare but can't remember how. Will check this weekend and get back to you.
    Louis
    Last.fm

LMS for android

The perfect solution would be a stand alone LMS for/on android
    Would it be possible to have a Logitech Media Server on android ??

Here are a view projects that look really good
    Its a Logitech Media Server for Raspberry Pi and Synology NAS:

- http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=6803
    - http://www.squeezeplug.de/
    - http://www.synology-forum.nl/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=2102

Maybe an android developer could turn this into a LMS for droid
    So many android devices these days
    I personally would have a use for this on my android UG802 HDMI stick running 24/7 with USB HDD attached to it
    But I can imagine a whole lot off possibilities
    Turn your old android phone Into a Logitech Media Server and you have a power efficient music server
    Last edited by gadus; 2012-11-02 at 08:04.

Quote Originally Posted by lrossouw View Post
    The Samsung android phones/tablets such as those you mention generally have AllShare installed. These are UPNP/DLNA servers which should be able to share music from your phone.

I think you should be able to play music from these AllShare but can't remember how. Will check this weekend and get back to you.
    That would be great! Thank you! Also a big Thanks to gadus!

What I found out in the meantime is that with BubbleUPnP for Android and http://www.avm.de/de/Produkte/FRITZ_...r_NG/index.php which has a UPnP-renderer feature it should be possible to play music. The BubbleUPnP app has the built in feature to add an equalizer app to it. I'll give it a shot next week, as soon as I have the Note II