Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Digital/Analog simultaneously on Touch

I want to route the touch output to a second zone on my receiver for speakers in another room. My receiver requires analog inputs as a source for a second zone and I use the digital output for my mains. Is it ok to use the both the Digital and Analog outputs at the same time? Will the both outputs be in synch so I donít hear an echo as I walk between rooms?

Thanks Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bobm View Post
    I want to route the touch output to a second zone on my receiver for speakers in another room. My receiver requires analog inputs as a source for a second zone and I use the digital output for my mains. Is it ok to use the both the Digital and Analog outputs at the same time? Will the both outputs be in synch so I donít hear an echo as I walk between rooms?

Thanks Bob
    yes, this will work perfectly.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Requiring an analog input for additional zone output is a common restriction in AVR's, particularly the older ones (like mine).
    But as gary says, that will work fine. Yet another example of the flexibility of the SqueezeBox players.

Thanks Guys, I remember when the recievers would have a simple A/B button for a second main. Bob
    Last edited by bobm; 2012-10-17 at 13:18.

I have the Touch hooked into my receiver using both the optical and analog connections. The optical is for my main zone and the analog is for zone 2. I am finding zone 2 is a bit ahead of the main zone in terms of timing, i.e. not completely in sync. Zone 2 is powered by the internal amps on my receiver where as the main zone uses an external amp. I tried using straight mode (no dsp) on my receiver and that did not help. Could the delay be caused by the different outputs on the Touch, the external vs. internal amp or something else? I noticed the delay when I had both sets of speakers in the same room. I am hoping it will not be as noticeable when the speakers are in different rooms.

Thanks Bob

I have the Touch hooked into my receiver using both the optical and analog connections. The optical is for my main zone and the analog is for zone 2. I am finding zone 2 is a bit ahead of the main zone in terms of timing, i.e. not completely in sync. Zone 2 is powered by the internal amps on my receiver where as the main zone uses an external amp. I tried using straight mode (no dsp) on my receiver and that did not help. Could the delay be caused by the different outputs on the Touch, the external vs. internal amp or something else? I noticed the delay when I had both sets of speakers in the same room. I am hoping it will not be as noticeable when the speakers are in different rooms.

Thanks Bob
    Not the Touch causing it. Must be the DAC and processing in your AVR/amp. If the two rooms are not within ear shot of each other I wouldn't worry about it.

I think it's quite common for a slight delay when applying processing in the amp to a digital signal. Even using the analogue in for zone 1 may have the same issue if your amp is doing any processing (for example if your amp has options for using the sub in stereo)
    Might be worth trying analogue for both zones.
    Failing that your only option for good syncing might be a 2nd SB in zone 2, there's delay settings in LMS to tweak for a good sync if necessary.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Bob
    I use the analog out for both zones when doing multizone listening. This will eliminate the delay, with my Denon AVR anyway.