Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

iPeng, your iPhone Squeezebox Remote, gets even better with version 2.0!

It's done. iPeng 2.0, the long anticipated (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...-Teaser-Thread) update to iPeng for iPhone, has now been released on the App Store

The iPhone 5 brought a new form factor to the iPhone/iPod world and we have used the opportunity to give iPeng a complete UI refresh. It’s been two years since the last UI change and during that time, App user experiences have changed a lot so we felt it was time for some fresh air.

So what’s new?

1. Design

First, iPeng’s graphics are now much cleaner drawn, use more contrast and we tried to give it a more reduced, less playful look, taking away a lot of gradients, semi-transparent elements and colors. This improves readability, makes iPeng’s screens look less crowded and in some places it freed up some space to make elements bigger and more readable, like the title information on NowPlaying. The NowPlaying screen also is now optimized for iPhone 5 but also looks cleaner and more readable on the older Apple devices.

We also played some additional attention to icons, so now the main menu icons are all available in retina format and the player icons now again use real images of the devices they represent, similar to the ones used in iPeng for iPad.

2. Usability

iPeng 2.0 now has a new player-tab at the top of the screen that always shows you which player you are controlling and also gives you quick access to the list of players and Music Sources (MultiPlayer control) from everywhere in the App.

It also contains shortcuts to control the current player without having to switch to NowPlaying.

We believe that this will significantly improve the accessibility of often-used features in iPeng and therefore make your iPeng user experience even better.

3. Features

The space freed up on the left-hand side of the NowPlaying screen is now filled by the same Lyrics screen saver that’s also featured in iPeng for iPad.

The Changes in Detail

If you want to learn more about the changes and the new design, have a look at

http://penguinlovesmusic.de/2012/10/...h-version-2-0/

Have fun!
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

I just downloaded the new version - looks very good! I like the clean appearance, and most of the changed screen functions seem quite intuitive.

So that was on my iPhone 4/iOS6; I've now loaded it on my 3GS, also running iOS6, and so far everything looks good there too.

iPad version on the way?

Looking good.

The volume control seems to change the track! Well in iPeng playback anyway, not tried other players. Maybe is because I haven't upgraded to ios6.

And whats the lyrics screen about it just seems to hangs searching........

Nice user interface though, well done.

The skip happens when you change the volume fast, yes. That's a bug. Will get fixed in 2.0.1 which is already on the way (but will probably still take more than a week, due to Apple's current review times).

Lyrics: are you using SqueezeCenter 7.3.x? Otherwise iPeng should present you a help screen instead of waiting forever.... You need to install the SongInfo/SongLyrics plugins to get Lyrics, iPeng can't get them itself. There's a longer explanation on this on http://penguinlovesmusic.com
    ---
    at penguinlovesmusic.com

Pippin

This is a nice update. I'm using an iPhone 4, still on iOS 5.1.1, and so far I haven't seen any problems. I particularly like the lyrics page - something I've missed on the iPhone version since seeing it on an iPad. I'm sure I'll eventually train my brain not to try and swipe to the other screens in landscape mode

And the drop down tab to get to the multiplayer control is much more convenient. For some reason I often struggled to swipe sideways off the old version of this screen, but now it's a simple tap to get rid of it, and it's available all the time.

Great to see this app going from strength to strength.

Usage question/feature request:

Is there a way to get one of the apps in 'My Apps' to show on the menu bar? I can get the whole 'My Apps' menu item to show, but I'd like to put Triode's Spotify app there.

Thanks
    Chris

You can't put a submenu on the tab bar because the higher-level menu needs to be opened to access it.
    Logitech's "Apps" can be added to the home menu on MySB, but not Triode's plugin. Sorry.
    ---
    at penguinlovesmusic.com