• Apr 2008

New Boom

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0630.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	1576838
    SB 3 + Scandyna micropod SE active, to replace my beloved Boom
    2 SB 3 • 1 PCP 7 • Libratone Loop, Zipp, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 8.1 (docker) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput by bpa • Material Skin by Craig Drummond • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • BBC Sounds by Stuart McLean • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.
  • GRC
    • Nov 2007

So how does it sound?

Always liked the look of those Micropods but the reviews were a little disappointing. But compared with a stock Boom - what do you think?

I'm running my SB3 into AudioEngine A2s and they sound good - better than my Boom in the kitchen.

GRC
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it ...
    Server = iMac -> Bootcamp -> W10 (dBpoweramp ripping / MediaMonkey management)
    Router = Huawei B535 LTE 4G + TP-Link Deco X20 mesh x 5
    Lounge = SBT -> Devialet D200 -> Dynaudio Contour 1.8 MkII
    Covered terrace = SBT -> AudioEngine A5+
    Kitchen + bedroom = SB Radio
    Garage = SB2 -> Rotel RA820BX2 -> MA252
    Storage = SB3 + SlimP3
    iOS control = iPeng / SqueezePad; Android = SqueezeCommander;

Comment

• epoch1970
      • Apr 2008

more sweet than sour

Originally posted by GRC
      Always liked the look of those Micropods but the reviews were a little disappointing. But compared with a stock Boom - what do you think?

I'm running my SB3 into AudioEngine A2s and they sound good - better than my Boom in the kitchen.

GRC
      I have boxed the Boom, it will be shipped to my parent's as one of their Booms is failing. If you're dying for it I can unpack and do a direct comparison if you ask.
      But for now here are remarks from memory.
      - I think the Boom handles bass better (the SE active has a sub out too, untested.)
      - Stereo separation makes a big difference
      - I find the medium and treble extremely detailed on the micropods, much better than the Boom's
      - The micropod SE active seems able to stay composed at much louder volume than the Boom
      - The SE active doesn't seem to have auto-off, at least this older model I got. (scandyna changed owners last year AFAIK, a new unit may have performance tweaks, but they restricted the color range to white/black/red.)
      - It doesn't come with an IR remote and the power supply unit seems flimsy compared to the Boom's (I have detected an audible pop when the refrigerator starts in the kitchen, never heard this with the Boom).
      - With volume pot cranked full up on the SE active, the line in is a little bit noisy, setting volume to around 70% seems to kill any discernible background noise (I use a basic rca-jack cable, nothing fancy, the SB3 is set to cut outputs on power-off, and it is "new").
      - My SE active draws between 6 Wh (pot clicked to the off position) and 20 Wh peak (pot at full tilt, SB3 playing at 100% vol.) according to my imprecise kill-a-watt. Playing at reasonable volume, it draws 6 and seldom peaks to 9 Wh. So it is not consuming much but I don't know how I can cut the 6Wh waste at idle if I wanted to.

I was absolutely lovestruck with the audio quality of my Boom, so much detail in such a small package. I can say I enjoy much more my jazz, vocals, (some) rock albums on the micropods. But it won't play any type of music with equal ability. I guess a reviewer looking for an all-rounder speaker -this size?- would find bass disappointing. I wouldn't understand negative comments on build quality (except on that PSU which seems shite), nor on the low medium-to-highs performance.

I paid 180 E for this active+passive pair. I was looking for that color (it's a bit less orange than the picture shows BTW), meaning I bought demo units as I couldn't find new old stock units.
      I looked at the AE5 and found them to be too big (and not the right color . I looked at a nu-force amp with remote, but decided the amp+speakers package would be too expensive. I contemplated a libratone speaker, but decided it was too expensive + I was unsure of audio rendering. I looked at the new TDK wireless sound cube, that should have shaken the desk; Besides bass not being a priority, price + availability ruled it out. (the original sound cube is now cheaper, but it has no remote, has auto-off but not auto-on… so it was not an option for me.)

Mandatory rant: I hate to have to part with my Boom. This product should not have been discontinued. Service should be available since its built is not bullet-proof.

(I have another scandyna system hooked to an SB3: the ball 2.1 + 2 micropods. Same exquisite mediums + enough bass to throw me out of the bed. The amplifier in the ball 2.1 has a single analog input, a regrettable limitation. Still no auto-off on this one, but it has an IR remote I can activate via IR blaster. Post w/ picture)
      Last edited by epoch1970; 2012-10-06, 13:49.
      2 SB 3 • 1 PCP 7 • Libratone Loop, Zipp, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 8.1 (docker) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput by bpa • Material Skin by Craig Drummond • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • BBC Sounds by Stuart McLean • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

Comment

• epoch1970
        • Apr 2008

The quest for a Boom replacement, episodes 2 and 3

I recently connected an SB3 to a Libratone Zipp. (The post is here in another sub-forum.)
        I intended the Zipp as a gift and since all was well in terms of sound and usability, away went the Zipp.

The other day I stumbled across a large discount on a TDK Wireless Sound Cube, model V513. This started episode 3.
        The Wireless Cube model V513 has a remote control (the previous model does not, neither does the more recent model) and works via IR Blaster just fine.
        Build quality is ok, but not great (the rotating dials are plasticky.) Same goes for the sound: seriously loud, handles a load of bass, but not the most delicate rendering altogether.
        Compared to my former pair of Scandyna the difference is quite stark...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0898.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	1556636

I've also paired the V513 with the mac mini that sits close by to test the Bluetooth connexion. Works fine (except iTunes seems to want to start playing music every time the cube connects...) but my main application will be with the SB3 connected via Aux, and control via IR Blaster. In the pic you can see it in action, the IR eye comes from Logitech and reaches the IR receiver of the cube, located between the 2 round controls on the facade.
        The remote (and IR Blaster) can control volume, mute, on, off, and switching between Aux and BT. Power Off is not a toggle (off twice does not mean on) but unfortunately Power On is...

I don't think this device was exactly worth its original price, but at half price I think some might be interested.
        Last edited by epoch1970; 2014-01-17, 22:02.

Comment

• Wirrunna
          • Jan 2006

The quest for a Boom replacement, episode 4

Well, two of my Booms have died. Both had "farting" speakers and now neither will switch on. While plucking up the courage to open them up and fiddle with the power switch and then replace the speaker surrounds a local office supply chain store offered Logitech Z263 speakers at almost half price.
          Shop Z623 Speakers. Features THX sound, 200 watts RMS, 3.5mm inputs, RCA inputs, headphone jack, 1 year warranty and is perfect for gaming and music

I grabbed a set and hooked them up to a Pi Core Player with the official 7" screen. These are excellent. Lots of bass due to the subwoofer, don't occupy too much space, can play quietly to room filling, and finally, still supporting the Logitech brand.
          A camel is a racehorse designed by a committee.

Seen sprayed on the outside wall of the local library -
          Three things I hate in life :
          1. Vandalism
          2. Irony
          3. Lists

Comment

• philippe_44
            • May 2008

Originally posted by Wirrunna
            Well, two of my Booms have died. Both had "farting" speakers and now neither will switch on. While plucking up the courage to open them up and fiddle with the power switch and then replace the speaker surrounds a local office supply chain store offered Logitech Z263 speakers at almost half price.
            Shop Z623 Speakers. Features THX sound, 200 watts RMS, 3.5mm inputs, RCA inputs, headphone jack, 1 year warranty and is perfect for gaming and music

I grabbed a set and hooked them up to a Pi Core Player with the official 7" screen. These are excellent. Lots of bass due to the subwoofer, don't occupy too much space, can play quietly to room filling, and finally, still supporting the Logitech brand.
            If ever you want to recycle them, let us know before putting them in the bin as some of us try to fix SB devices as much as possible.
            LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Comment

Working...