Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Large album art WITHOUT embedding it

Hi,

I am having issues with updating my local library (10k tracks, mp3 only) with larger album art and hope someone can help me. File structure is %ARTIST\%ALBUM

Current situation
    ----------------
    - Every album folder contains a jpg with 300x300 px and %ALBUM.jpg as filename
    - This image is also embedded into the respective mp3 tag of each of the album's songs/files. Basically this was only necessary to enable cover support on my iPod Classic.

What I want to accomplish
    --------------------------
    - Add a 800x800px jpg to each album folder (or even replace the existing 300x300 px image)
    - Do NOT embed the new larger jpg into the mp3 files
    - Have the larger image shown on Squeezebox controller devices where useful (currently iPeng on iPhone and laptop with LMS web interface; iPad or Android tablet in near future)

While it is OK (but not mandatory) to have small cover art images in each file, I want to "detach" larger cover art images from the files by placing them in the respective folder (only once). Unfortunately LMS uses the embedded smaller images instead of the larger files stored to the folders (at least in the web interface). So here are my questions:
    1. Can I change the default cover art priority in LMS?
    2. Are 3rd party apps (especially iPeng) able to get the bigger files directly (without having to use the one from LMS database/cache)? Currently this does not seem to work?!

Of course I could delete all cover art from my mp3 files alltogether. But I wasn't able to figure out how to copy the %ALBUM.jpg to my iPod Classic's database. iTunes (which I try not to use whenever possible) can't do it; EphPod did this, but does not work with newer iPod models. Maybe someone can point me to a (free) alternative for copying music to iPods/iPhones with cover art support using %ALBUM.jpg (or folder.jpg) only? Also (as a second best alternative) a solution to semi-automatically copy the cover art to the local iTunes database (again without embedding it) would be helpful.

Any help is appreciated.

Many thanks

superbonham
    Last edited by superbonham; 2012-10-01 at 08:48. Reason: Corrected typos

Although it doesn't directly address your questions it would be worth looking through the SqueezeboxWiki on Album Artwork:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Album_Artwork
    Allo Digione Signature (+LiFePo Batteries), Touch, Metrum Jade, Bryston B4 SST2, PMC OB1i speakers, HP Proliant Microserver/Ubuntu, PC/Windows 10, iPad 4, iPeng.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
    Although it doesn't directly address your questions it would be worth looking through the SqueezeboxWiki on Album Artwork:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Album_Artwork
    Hi JohnB,

thanks for your reply, but I've been to the wiki already. That's where I actually got the information that LMS uses the embedded cover art rather than the folder file (if both are present). It says
    Artwork internal to the ID3 tags within a song takes precedence, followed by any specified filename in the server settings.
    Anyone with additional ideas?

Cheers

superbonham

Quote Originally Posted by superbonham View Post
    Hi JohnB,

thanks for your reply, but I've been to the wiki already. That's where I actually got the information that LMS uses the embedded cover art rather than the folder file (if both are present). It says

Anyone with additional ideas?

Cheers

superbonham

I explored all this in the past. I eventually gave up without finding a way to make LMS/SbS use the folder art when embedded art also exists. I also never found an easy way to have itunes pickup my artwork without it being embedded. So a bit of a Catch-22. As more and more of my CDs are ripped to FLAC (with folder art) while keeping a lossy mp3 version for itunes (with embedded, smaller art), this has become less of an issue for me. By the way, dbpa will convert the FLACs to mp3 and automatically both embed the folder art in the mp3, but modify the size, so that the embedded art is much smaller than the folder art.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Hi garym,

many thanks for this additional information. I actually expected it to be the way you summed it up. At least I have it confirmed now by someone else and do not have to look for a solution where there is (presumably) none.

So either I keep looking for a tool that allows me to write cover art from a file to the iPod database or I will simply embed the higher resolution images to the files.

Having two flavours (mp3 and flac) of the same music with different cover art sounds interesting but is unfortunately not a (short-term) option for me.

Thanks again

superbonham
    Last edited by superbonham; 2012-10-01 at 08:48.

Quote Originally Posted by superbonham View Post
    Hi garym,

many thanks for this additional information. I actually expected it to be the way you summed it up. At least I have it confirmed now by someone else and do not have to look for a solution where there is (presumably) none.

So either I keep looking for a tool that allows me to write cover art from a file to the iPod database or I will simply embedd the higher resolution images to the files.

Having two flavours (mp3 and flac) of the same music with different cover art sounds interesting but is unfortunately not a (short-term) option for me.

Thanks again

superbonham
    And I'd also be interested in any tools you find that can cause itunes to pickup "folder art" as part of its database when albums added to itunes. This would be a useful utility. I've used iCoverArt in the past to go in the opposite direction (automatically take the itunes database art and embed in the files themselves).
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

It's not itunes related, but bliss (the music library tool) could actually do what you want, if I understand correctly.

You can set a rule to remove all embedded artwork and download album art over a certain size, I've only used the 100 fixes, but I found it pretty good at retrieving artwork. Bliss is very much a work in progress, but for this use in particular it would be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by sander View Post
    It's not itunes related, but bliss (the music library tool) could actually do what you want, if I understand correctly.

You can set a rule to remove all embedded artwork and download album art over a certain size, I've only used the 100 fixes, but I found it pretty good at retrieving artwork. Bliss is very much a work in progress, but for this use in particular it would be perfect.
    Lots of people speak highly of Blisss so good idea. But, what Bliss will do won't solve the OP's problem. The hard part that the OP was wanting is *keeping* embedded art in files and at the same time *also* having larger .jpg files within the album folder (that LMS will use instead). The most direct way to solve that is to change the LMS ordering of artwork use (change to use file in album folder if it exists and if not use embedded). The current logic is just the opposite of this.

I haven't checked the code of SBS to see if it supports this, but it's also possible to have embedded cover art actually be a URL rather than the image itself. This way, you could have a URL pointing to your larger art, but you'd also have to set up a HTTP server (probably) to serve up the images. Assuming you are using ID3v2+, you do this by having "-->" as the MIME type and having the URL in the "picture data" field. I suppose you could try with one file/album.

Don't use %ALBUM.jpg (or similar) naming of covers based on metadata. For whatever reason, it's never worked well. If you store one album per folder, use the simpler cover.jpg or folder.jpg naming of covers. The metadata based naming was meant to address situations where tracks from different albums may be mixed in the same folder.