Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Support for 24bit/92/192khz...?

Is there a wiki somewhere that talks about high HD files are handled?

Clearly, the SB Touch has a DAC in there that allows it to handle everything up to 92kHz, it seems.

The other units will ultimately downsample?

Furthermore, if I play a 24bit/92kHz file via an SB3 that is optically conntected to an external DAC, the file will be passed transparently?

As I start buying some stuff in higher def it'd be nioce to know exactly what happens where so I can optimize it. Thanks!
    ...pablo
    Server: Virtual Machine (on VMware Workstation 14 Pro) running Ubuntu 18.04 + LMS 7.9.1
    System: SB Touch -optical-> Benchmark DAC2HGC -AnalysisPlus Oval Copper XLR-> NAD M22 Power Amp -AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval-> Totem Element Fire
    Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> NAD D7050 -> Totem DreamCatcher + Velodyne Minivee Sub
    Computer audio: workstation -USB-> audioengine D1 -> Grado RS1/Shure 1540

LMS has logic that knows the max resolution of each player attached to it. If you try to play a file that is higher then the max sample rate of the player LMS will down sample it and send the player a version that is at it's max rate. The Touch can send 24/96 out its SPDIF port unaltered.

If you want a higher sample rate then 24/96 you'll need to use something like VortexBox player that can support higher sample rates.
    rip, tag, get cover artů All you do is insert the CD!
    http://vortexbox.org

agillis
    Lead Developer VortexBox

Quote Originally Posted by agillis View Post
    LMS has logic that knows the max resolution of each player attached to it. If you try to play a file that is higher then the max sample rate of the player LMS will down sample it and send the player a version that is at it's max rate. The Touch can send 24/96 out its SPDIF port unaltered.

If you want a higher sample rate then 24/96 you'll need to use something like VortexBox player that can support higher sample rates.
    Thanks a lot, that makes a lot of sense.

I don't think I'll go all the way to 192kHz, it seems 24/88 is plenty... But I'd be interested in others' experiences.

So an SB3 will be getting a downsampled version from the LMS whether it connects to an external DAC or not? Good to know.
    Last edited by pablolie; 2012-09-13 at 10:29.
    ...pablo
    Server: Virtual Machine (on VMware Workstation 14 Pro) running Ubuntu 18.04 + LMS 7.9.1
    System: SB Touch -optical-> Benchmark DAC2HGC -AnalysisPlus Oval Copper XLR-> NAD M22 Power Amp -AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval-> Totem Element Fire
    Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> NAD D7050 -> Totem DreamCatcher + Velodyne Minivee Sub
    Computer audio: workstation -USB-> audioengine D1 -> Grado RS1/Shure 1540

SB3 supports 44.1 and 48. Natively the Touch supports 44.1, 48, 88.2 and 96. There is an applet for the Touch called EDO (Enhanced Digital Output) which will pass 176.4 and 192 on the digital outs, AND allows you to connect a USB DAC to the Touch and will go up to 192 if the DAC supports that over USB. (There are quite a few DACs that support 192 over S/PDIF coax but not over USB)

If you try and play a high sample rate file to a player which does not support that rate, the server will resample down to a rate the player does support.

John S.

And if you are using sync ,your least capable player sets the limit as all synced players uses the same stream.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

great information!

Just got my new Touches. Pretty cool so far.

Many thanks for this very helpful information:
    "There is an applet for the Touch called EDO (Enhanced Digital Output) which will pass 176.4 and 192 on the digital outs, AND allows you to connect a USB DAC to the Touch and will go up to 192 if the DAC supports that over USB."

Thanks!

Duet Players won't play 92khx FLAC

Hate to open up and old thread but none of my duet players will play 92khz flac files. It I select one the play icon just blinks and does not play. If I use a Touch it plays fine. And if I link players then it won't play either.

Am I am missing something here? Logitech Media Server Version: 7.7.2 - r33893 @ Wed Mar 14 06:37:22 MDT 2012

Players are at 77 fw release.

I thought the LMS server would down sample the tracks to whatever speed the player could accept.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Aesculus View Post
    Hate to open up and old thread but none of my duet players will play 92khz flac files. It I select one the play icon just blinks and does not play. If I use a Touch it plays fine. And if I link players then it won't play either.

Am I am missing something here? Logitech Media Server Version: 7.7.2 - r33893 @ Wed Mar 14 06:37:22 MDT 2012

I thought the LMS server would down sample the tracks to whatever speed the player could accept.
    The squeezebox receiver only support 48Khz max 24bit.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...are_comparison
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 1-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    The squeezebox receiver only support 48Khz max 24bit.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...are_comparison
    Yes but like he says why doesn't LMS downsample it for playback on the receiver?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Aesculus View Post

It will resample if transcode rules are working on your system.
    Resampling will be done using sox and maybe flac. Your LMS system is very old 2012 and sox and lms may no longer run. For example, if OS has been update in the meantime the libraries for sox / flac may no longer be compatible.

1.Check if LMS supplied flac and sox run on your system.
    2. If they don't - update LMS
    3.if you can't update LMS (e.g. NAS based) then see if you can update sox and flac separately.