Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pablolie
    • Feb 2006

Support for 24bit/92/192khz...?

Is there a wiki somewhere that talks about high HD files are handled?

Clearly, the SB Touch has a DAC in there that allows it to handle everything up to 92kHz, it seems.

The other units will ultimately downsample?

Furthermore, if I play a 24bit/92kHz file via an SB3 that is optically conntected to an external DAC, the file will be passed transparently?

As I start buying some stuff in higher def it'd be nioce to know exactly what happens where so I can optimize it. Thanks!
    ...pablo
    Server: Win10 and LMS 8.2.0
    System: SB Touch -optical-> Benchmark DAC2HGC -AnalysisPlus Oval Copper XLR-> NAD M22 Power Amp -AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval-> KEF Reference 1
    Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Touch-> NAD D7050 -> KEF LS50 + Velodyne Minivee Sub
    Computer audio: workstation -USB-> audioengine D1 -> Grado RS1/Shure 1540
  • agillis
    • Nov 2008

LMS has logic that knows the max resolution of each player attached to it. If you try to play a file that is higher then the max sample rate of the player LMS will down sample it and send the player a version that is at it's max rate. The Touch can send 24/96 out its SPDIF port unaltered.

If you want a higher sample rate then 24/96 you'll need to use something like VortexBox player that can support higher sample rates.
    rip, tag, get cover art… All you do is insert the CD!
    http://vortexbox.org

agillis
    Lead Developer VortexBox

Comment

• pablolie
      • Feb 2006

Originally posted by agillis
      LMS has logic that knows the max resolution of each player attached to it. If you try to play a file that is higher then the max sample rate of the player LMS will down sample it and send the player a version that is at it's max rate. The Touch can send 24/96 out its SPDIF port unaltered.

If you want a higher sample rate then 24/96 you'll need to use something like VortexBox player that can support higher sample rates.
      Thanks a lot, that makes a lot of sense.

I don't think I'll go all the way to 192kHz, it seems 24/88 is plenty... But I'd be interested in others' experiences.

So an SB3 will be getting a downsampled version from the LMS whether it connects to an external DAC or not? Good to know.
      Last edited by pablolie; 2012-09-13, 18:29.
      ...pablo
      Server: Win10 and LMS 8.2.0
      System: SB Touch -optical-> Benchmark DAC2HGC -AnalysisPlus Oval Copper XLR-> NAD M22 Power Amp -AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval-> KEF Reference 1
      Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Touch-> NAD D7050 -> KEF LS50 + Velodyne Minivee Sub
      Computer audio: workstation -USB-> audioengine D1 -> Grado RS1/Shure 1540

Comment

• JohnSwenson
        • Jun 2006

SB3 supports 44.1 and 48. Natively the Touch supports 44.1, 48, 88.2 and 96. There is an applet for the Touch called EDO (Enhanced Digital Output) which will pass 176.4 and 192 on the digital outs, AND allows you to connect a USB DAC to the Touch and will go up to 192 if the DAC supports that over USB. (There are quite a few DACs that support 192 over S/PDIF coax but not over USB)

If you try and play a high sample rate file to a player which does not support that rate, the server will resample down to a rate the player does support.

John S.

Comment

• Mnyb
          • Feb 2006

And if you are using sync ,your least capable player sets the limit as all synced players uses the same stream.
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
          Bedroom/Office: Boom
          Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
          Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
          iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
          (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
          server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Comment

• jeffstake
            • Aug 2009

great information!

Just got my new Touches. Pretty cool so far.

Many thanks for this very helpful information:
            "There is an applet for the Touch called EDO (Enhanced Digital Output) which will pass 176.4 and 192 on the digital outs, AND allows you to connect a USB DAC to the Touch and will go up to 192 if the DAC supports that over USB."

Thanks!

Comment

• Aesculus
              • Jan 2008

Duet Players won't play 92khx FLAC

Hate to open up and old thread but none of my duet players will play 92khz flac files. It I select one the play icon just blinks and does not play. If I use a Touch it plays fine. And if I link players then it won't play either.

Am I am missing something here? Logitech Media Server Version: 7.7.2 - r33893 @ Wed Mar 14 06:37:22 MDT 2012

Players are at 77 fw release.

I thought the LMS server would down sample the tracks to whatever speed the player could accept.
              Chris

Comment

• ralphy
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Aesculus
                Hate to open up and old thread but none of my duet players will play 92khz flac files. It I select one the play icon just blinks and does not play. If I use a Touch it plays fine. And if I link players then it won't play either.

Am I am missing something here? Logitech Media Server Version: 7.7.2 - r33893 @ Wed Mar 14 06:37:22 MDT 2012

I thought the LMS server would down sample the tracks to whatever speed the player could accept.
                The squeezebox receiver only support 48Khz max 24bit.

Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 2-UE Radio
                Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

Comment

• slartibartfast
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by ralphy
                  The squeezebox receiver only support 48Khz max 24bit.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...are_comparison
                  Yes but like he says why doesn't LMS downsample it for playback on the receiver?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
                  Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
                  Bedroom: Radio
                  Bathroom: Radio

Comment

• bpa
                    • Oct 2005

It will resample if transcode rules are working on your system.
                    Resampling will be done using sox and maybe flac. Your LMS system is very old 2012 and sox and lms may no longer run. For example, if OS has been update in the meantime the libraries for sox / flac may no longer be compatible.

1.Check if LMS supplied flac and sox run on your system.
                    2. If they don't - update LMS
                    3.if you can't update LMS (e.g. NAS based) then see if you can update sox and flac separately.

Comment

• Aesculus
                      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by bpa
                      It will resample if transcode rules are working on your system.
                      Resampling will be done using sox and maybe flac. Your LMS system is very old 2012 and sox and lms may no longer run. For example, if OS has been update in the meantime the libraries for sox / flac may no longer be compatible.

1.Check if LMS supplied flac and sox run on your system.
                      2. If they don't - update LMS
                      3.if you can't update LMS (e.g. NAS based) then see if you can update sox and flac separately.
                      I think you nailed it. From the LMS Log File:

sh: /share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/LogitechMediaServer/var/home/SqueezeboxServer/Bin/i386-linux/flac: No such file or directory
                      sh: /share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/LogitechMediaServer/var/home/SqueezeboxServer/Bin/i386-linux/sox: No such file or directory

Now to find out what happened here.

And yes it is on a NAS that I recently upgraded and I don't want the hassles or risk of trying to update LMS since I only use the features from 2012. :-)
                      Chris

Comment

• bpa
                        • Oct 2005

I think you nailed it. From the LMS Log File:

sh: /share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/LogitechMediaServer/var/home/SqueezeboxServer/Bin/i386-linux/flac: No such file or directory
                        sh: /share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/LogitechMediaServer/var/home/SqueezeboxServer/Bin/i386-linux/sox: No such file or directory

Now to find out what happened here.

And yes it is on a NAS that I recently upgraded and I don't want the hassles or risk of trying to update LMS since I only use the features from 2012. :-)
                        It is odd to have no executables. Are you sure your nas is classified as i386-linux ?

If it is a mainstream NAS /architecture - you may be able to use compatible executables from the slimserver repository.

What type of NAS model etc and what version of OS ?

Comment

• Aesculus
                          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by bpa
                          It is odd to have no executables. Are you sure your nas is classified as i386-linux ?

If it is a mainstream NAS /architecture - you may be able to use compatible executables from the slimserver repository.

What type of NAS model etc and what version of OS ?
                          I think this is the reason. I upgraded from a QNAP 459 Pro II with Intel Atom D525 1.8 GHz at 32 bit to a

QNAP TS-453Be with Intel® Celeron® J3455 quad-core 1.5 GHz processor which is 64 bit

Looking at WinSCP I can see the files. I will attempt to figure out why. Maybe the upgrade did not map this share correctly.

I may have to bite the bullet and install the latest LMS for QNAP
                          Chris

Comment

• Aesculus
                            • Jan 2008

OK. Rather than killing myself debugging I decided to join the existing decade and I installed QLogitechMediaServer

Now the players downsample the HD audio like it used to.

Now I have to dig up my old plugin I wrote for my Denon amp and iPeng since it never made the standard plugin list. I suspect I may have some updating too but I might get surprised. :-)
                            Chris

Comment

• bpa
                              • Oct 2005

OK. Rather than killing myself debugging I decided to join the existing decade and I installed QLogitechMediaServer

Now the players downsample the HD audio like it used to.

Now I have to dig up my old plugin I wrote for my Denon amp and iPeng since it never made the standard plugin list. I suspect I may have some updating too but I might get surprised. :-)
                              A good move for the future. If you use any internet services then latest versions of LMS (7.9.2 onward) is nearly essential as it has better support of https than older versions.

Comment

Working...