Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by conquerist View Post
    I'm just chiming in here in case anyone else is still having this problem (googling for "MusicIP Mixer", "unanalyzable", and "flac" quickly leads here).
    The problem I was having is very similar to what's described earlier in the thread (some flac files fail to analyze, mp3 files and wav files work fine).

Doing either of the following fixed it for me.
    1. Renaming the files from .flac to .fla or
    2. Setting the registry setting HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\W in95TruncatedExtensions to the value 1 and updating the extension portion of the 8.3 filenames of the affected .flac files to .FLA (see below for a batch script)

What's happening is that when analysis is started on a file, the MusicIP Mixer GUI launches a process called mipcore.exe and refers to the file to be analyzed by its 8.3 filename. The 8.3 filename is a second filename that files (can) possess in addition to their normal (long) filename (more info on wikipedia). This 8.3 filename is created whenever a file is created, renamed or copied, and for a .flac file, the extension portion of its 8.3 filename can bei either .FLA or .FL~, depending on Windows version and registry setting at the time that the 8.3 filename is created. Now, for whatever reason, on files with .FL~ in their 8.3 filename, MusicIP analysis fails. And Windows 7 just so happens to, by default, have the registry setting above set to 0, which leads to 8.3 filenames with .FL~ being created, which in turn causes the problem that's the topic of this thread.

Luckily, the extension part of the 8.3 filename can be changed to .FLA to fix the problem.

One way of doing this is to change the normal/long filename to the .fla extension, because this automatically also leads to the creation of a new 8.3 filename with the extension .FLA. However, this is a bit of a work-around, because .flac is still the generally used extension and using .fla (with the lower case extension referring to the normal/long filename) comes with its own set of restrictions, e.g. most programs/ripping tools create .flac files that need to be renamed manually, downloaded files likewise, and some programs don't even recognize .fla as FLAC files.

The second way preserves the .flac extension in the long filename, it only involves modification of the 8.3 filename. Changing the registry setting above (see here) leads Windows to use .FLA instead of .FL~ when creating a new 8.3 filename for a .flac file. However, this alone doesn't change anything on existing files.

To "fix" the existing .flac files, their 8.3 filename needs to be set to .FLA extension, and an easy way of to do that is to run the following batch script in the music root directory, e.g. saved to a file named fix_8dot3.bat. The script iterates over all .flac files in the directory in which the script is located (including subdirectories) and changes the extension portion of their 8.3 filename to .FLA. This strictly speaking works independently of the registry setting above, however without having Win95TruncatedExtensions set to "1", new files will continue to be created with .FL~ and analysis will fail on those until their 8.3 file extension is changed to .FLA, e.g. by again running the batch script again.
    Code:
    for /r %%A in (*.flac) do (
    fsutil file setshortname "%%~A" %%~snA.FLA
    )
    Personally, I used the second method (registry and batch script), because it fixes the problem for existing as well as for newly created files, all while retaining a .flac extension. However, the first method doesn't require modifying the registry or executing a batch file from the internet.

I hope this helps anyone who's still having this problem. As a follow-up, Windows 10 seems to default back to the pre-Windows 7 behavior concerning .FLA and .FL~, so this thread is especially relevant for Windows 7, or more precisely, for .flac files that were either created on a Windows 7 machine and not touched afterwards by a non-affected OS as well as for files that have been renamed or copied in Windows 7.
    Is this a universal issue with Windows 7 and MusicIP? I have been analysing FLAC files for years with no problem. FLAC files are on an external HDD if it makes a difference.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Is this a universal issue with Windows 7 and MusicIP? I have been analysing FLAC files for years with no problem. FLAC files are on an external HDD if it makes a difference.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    No he was using a NTFS Partition where the 8.3 filename support was disabled.
    And here he shows how to enable it again and add the 8.3 filenames to the .flac files he gots already on his disk.

Mostly external drives are not ntfs but something else.

Code:
    fsutil 8dot3name query driveletter:
    would show you if its disabled - on win7 its enabled by default unless you disable it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirrunna View Post
    conquerist
    Thank you for your post. Excellent explanation.
    Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirrunna View Post
    conquerist
    Thank you for your post. Excellent explanation.
    Oh, and welcome to the forum.
    Thanks for the warm welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Is this a universal issue with Windows 7 and MusicIP?
    Like DJanGo says, it's also a question of the file system and its settings on the drive that the file is on. If the .flac file in question doesn't have an 8.3 filename at all (e.g. the file system doesn't support 8.3 filenames or their creation was disabled) MusicIP uses the normal/long filename and the described situation (MusicIP analysis failing on FLAC files created/renamed in Windows 7 because of their 8.3 filename) doesn't arise because there's no 8.3 filename in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    No he was using a NTFS Partition where the 8.3 filename support was disabled.
    And here he shows how to enable it again and add the 8.3 filenames to the .flac files he gots already on his disk.
    Well, strictly speaking it was an 8.3 filename with the extension .FL~ that caused the analysis to fail in my case. And yeah, this script also adds an 8.3 filename if the file never had one in the first place, e.g. because their support was disabled when the file was created.

Mostly external drives are not ntfs but something else.
    Lots of external drives use exFAT for example, and exFAT doesn't support 8.3 filenames.

And as a side note, related to exFAT drives, MusicIP and filenames while being somewhat off-topic, with this combination analysis also fails on certain files -- here it's files with "fancy" Unicode characters in their name, like from an Asian language. And ironically enough, these files become analyzable (again) as soon as they gain an 8.3 filename, e.g. when they are copied to a NTFS drive. Why? Well, 8.3 filenames can only contain "plain" ASCII characters, and as evident from above, MusicIP prefers to use a file's 8.3 name whenever there's one available. So, in this case simply using NTFS with 8.3 filenames enabled is enough to stop these files from being unanalyzable. Then again, even though analysis works with NTFS in this case, MusicIP still fails to read the tags on these files with those Unicode characters in their filename (Artist is shown as "Various Artists" and other fields as "miscellaneous"). So, neither NTFS nor exFAT are the cure-all-fix-all for MusicIP and files with Unicode characters in names, and the only way to have these files in MusicIP Mixer as analyzable and with their tags showing up that I'm aware of is to rename them to a filename without the critical Unicode characters.
    Last edited by conquerist; 2018-12-22 at 23:40.