Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

What SB apps can I use to improve sound quality?

Are there an SB apps that will improve sound quality without having to do a lot of programing?

No
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

As I've mentioned in your other thread, I'd advise you to get the LMS/TOUCH> DAC working correctly with your files before trying to explore anything else. Based on your report that the analog out of the touch sounds better than the digital out into Bel Canto DAC, I believe something odd is going on in your setup.

Once all is working as expected, you've already done the best mod you can do (feed a quality DAC from the TOUCH). The only other thing I would even recommend would be using Triode's EDO app for the TOUCH. But only if you are either (1) trying to use USB out from the TOUCH to feed the DAC or (2) you're trying to play 24/192 files (through USB or S/PDIF or Toslink).

p.s. Actually the best possible thing you can do for your setup is to run LMS on a server (a local PC, Mac, *powerful* NAS, etc.). The built in "TinyLMS" in the TOUCH is not really designed to allow complete use of the LMS. It is a toy compared with the real thing. Search this forum for lots of threads on that topic. Good luck.

edit: don't fall into the trap of thinking a USB drive connected directly to TOUCH somehow bypasses lots of wires (that can degrade) that would be involved with music on a server. You'd be applying analog concepts in a digital domain. The beauty of the TOUCH (and all SB players) is that the music files are fed to the players via TCP/IP over ethernet or wifi and arrive bit perfect (and buffered) at the player. The sound card, etc of the server have nothing to do with anything. The only possible issue would be electrical interference/RFI (and this is very unlikely).
    Last edited by garym; 2012-09-09 at 13:06.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Sound Quality generally can't be improved. You can only make sure it gets degraded as little as possible. Everything else is the job of your speakers.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

try installing the EDO app, that will get you most of the benefits of TT3.0 and improve the SQ for spdif and usb out.

Quote Originally Posted by maggies View Post
    Are there an SB apps that will improve sound quality without having to do a lot of programing?
    The biggest thing you can do (IMO) is NOT to use the volume normalisation you have employed when ripping!
    Allo Digione Signature (+LiFePo Batteries), Touch, Metrum Jade, Bryston B4 SST2, PMC OB1i speakers, HP Proliant Microserver/Ubuntu, PC/Windows 10, iPad 4, iPeng.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
    The biggest thing you can do (IMO) is NOT to use the volume normalisation you have employed when ripping!
    100% Agree.

But also note that adding ReplayGain tag info (track & album) when ripping is *not* the same as using the volume normalization DSP. The latter actually modifies the audio content (ripped files are no longer bit perfect compared to the CD). The former just adds tags (no more destructive to the file than having the ARTIST tag or ALBUM tag). Then later on, you can choose whether to use the RG tag info by setting the volume normalization settings in LMS to OFF, SMART GAIN, or ALBUM or TRACK gain. Simply having RG tags in a file does no harm.
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop

also, just to remove your files from the equation, as a test listen to a couple of internet radio stations and see what it sounds like. still to loud?

Go into touch menu, internet radio, search, and find:

Radio Paradise
    TSF Jazz
    WWOZ

Yes do not use normalisation DSP during rip it's a no no !

As i answered in your other tread . What preamp do you have ?

There are analog attenuators you can use after the DAC or Touch .

There was a gentleman on this forum using an entry level VTL tuibe preamp this design could not handle more than 0.2 volt at it's input without severe distortion .

So he solved by inline attenuators after the DAC or Touch (could not remember exactly ) .
    Rothwell is a good brand for that .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html