Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Squeezebox radio forces me to up- and downgrade every time I switch servers

Dear community,

When I connect to mysqueezebox.com, my Squeezebox Radio announces a new firmware upgrade (7.7.2 r9663). Ok. Upgraded.
    If I connect to my own squeezebox server (latest version of SODSS running on a Buffalo LinkStation) later, a new "up"grade is annouced again (7.6.1 r9482). Ok. Downgraded.
    When I connect to mysqueezebox.com again, upgrade again. Etc.

It always goes on like this, the mean thing being: there is no possibility to skip the up-/downgrade, i.e. switching servers always takes several minutes, which makes my Squeezebox Radio fairly unattractive, as I am switching several times a day.

Isn't the firmware supposed to be backward compatible? Is there any hidden setting to turn off forced upgrades? Maybe when connecting via SSH?

I'd be really happy for any inspiration with this, I really love my SB radio, but this is bugging me a lot.

Thanks a lot and best regards,
    Tschicko

Quote Originally Posted by tschicko View Post
    Dear community,

When I connect to mysqueezebox.com, my Squeezebox Radio announces a new firmware upgrade (7.7.2 r9663). Ok. Upgraded.
    If I connect to my own squeezebox server (latest version of SODSS running on a Buffalo LinkStation) later, a new "up"grade is annouced again (7.6.1 r9482). Ok. Downgraded.
    When I connect to mysqueezebox.com again, upgrade again. Etc.

It always goes on like this, the mean thing being: there is no possibility to skip the up-/downgrade, i.e. switching servers always takes several minutes, which makes my Squeezebox Radio fairly unattractive, as I am switching several times a day.

Isn't the firmware supposed to be backward compatible? Is there any hidden setting to turn off forced upgrades? Maybe when connecting via SSH?

I'd be really happy for any inspiration with this, I really love my SB radio, but this is bugging me a lot.

Thanks a lot and best regards,
    Tschicko
    You really have only two choices here:

1. never connect to mysb.com and stay connected to your own server (there is nothing you can do with mysb.com that you can't do with your local LMS so there is no need to switch unless you turn off your local server)

2. Update the software on your local LMS server to LMS 7.7.2. mysqueezebox.com is always running the latest stable version (currently 7.7.2), so connecting to it will cause your players firmware to update to 7.7.2.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

If Gary's piont 1 does not work as expected there is a problem somewhere in your server install .
    Almost all apps and stuff should be aviable trough the local server too .

Common problems are ,not giving the local server your mysb.com login , DNS problems on the server
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Thanks to both of you for your feedback.

Unfortunately, there is one thing
    When I start the Wimp application on my Squeezebox, it demands autentication with mysqueezebox.com (don't know why). Wimp is a paid streaming service. This app was the reason why I entered my user credentials for mysb.com in the first place...

I suspect I am not able to upgrade my SB server either... AFAIK, the original server software cannot run on NAS, that is why I am using SODSS, which has not been updated since I last installed it.

Interestingly, my classic squeezebox does not do any upgrades when switching, that's why I thought there might be a hidden switch or something.

Okay, thanks for your feedback, I'll check whether I can upgrade the SB server within SODSS. If not, I should probably stick to keeping the radio connected to mysb.com and only use my classic SB if I want to connect to my own server.
    Not ideal, but at least I understand what's happening now...

I'll let you know about the outcome.

Thanks again, best regards,
    Jens

Could be that wimp is not supported on older LMS versions :-/ or actually demands direct conection not proxied via the local LMS .

Your old classic aka SB3 has not have any changes since way before 7.6.x so it's basically frozen in that stage 4 years ago you would had similar problems there too ifn you lagged in server version .

I do think they made a change late in the game in 7.7 vs 7.8 that fw is not that picky, some backward compatibility , but that's has no meaning now when they scrapped the whole SB lineup.
    Last edited by Mnyb; 2012-09-09 at 03:32.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Better solutions are offered above, but you should be able to dismiss the update. Try the Home button?

Don't have a Radio, but can't you just download the 7.7.2 firmware and put it in the LMS firmware directory on your server box? Would this then make the both MYSB.com and the local server believe the radio firmware was the same? All the Squeezebox firmware can be found here;
    http://update.slimdevices.com/update/firmware/
    Then go to the version that matches MySB.com and download and put in your local servers' firmware directory. I believe the radio firmware is called "baby_*.*" in these firmware download directories.

EDIT: You may need to put the firmware files in a directory something like "Squeezebox\server\Cache\Updates". Read this thread that kind of leads to that...
    http://phaq.phunsites.net/2011/07/13...-local-server/
    If this is true I'd guess it would also apply to the Touch and Duet controller too since all these devices seem to want their firmware from the web rather than the local server.
    Last edited by w3wilkes; 2012-09-09 at 22:40.
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 7.9.1 Official on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 7.9.1 Official on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B/Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave
    Headphones and car - Android phone/Bluetooth w/full library on MicroSD card - PowerAmp music player app (similar to Material Skin)

vchnicBritish

w3wilkes is correct ... I downloaded the same version of firmware for the "baby" as was already on the SB Radio from here:

http://update.slimdevices.com/update/firmware/7.7.2/

and placed the file "baby.version" and the file "baby_7.7.2_r9663.bin" into the directory "SqueezeCenter/Firmware". When I connected the radio to my local server it made no attempt to upgrade (or downgrade) the radio firmware.

Note that I'm running Squeezecenter 7.5.2 due to being on SSODS on a Diskstation 207+. Before this fix my radio always tried to downgrade to firmware 7.5.1... (and failed) when I connected to my local server.