Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Interim hardware alternatives

With the news that Logitech is discontinuing Squeezebox (8/29/2012) I want the functionality without the commitment to what may soon be unsupported hardware / software. Here are the solutions / issues I can glean from searching the forums:
    Setup: I purchased a Squeezebox Touch for my birthday 8/21/12 imagine my consternation when I find that it is discontinued a week later. Additionally my Touch was DOA, basically it would die after about an hour; is this common? I sent it back. Now I wonder if I should get another one or try some interim solutions. My goal is to set up my entire house (4 rooms) on a wireless system but as a QA engineer I like to test systems before committing to them fully. I have a large cd/mp3/m4a/vinyl collection and my wife likes to listen to the radio. Oh yeah I like to listen on headphones in addition to the 4 fixed amp-speaker systems.

Alt 1: iPeng on a iPod Touch gen3. This seems good but only for local media. It also appears to be very good for high quality playback / DAC integration.

Alt 2: Orange Squeeze (or similar) + SqueezePlay on a LG G2x Android phone (2.3.3) This looks to have good stream control and sound output but is a bit nebulous in documentation.

Will either of these duplicate the full functionality of the Touch hardware while we wait to see what happens to Logitech support? They both have the advantage of being hardware I already own and inexpensive software.

For now I'll run LMS off a Mac or WinXP laptop but like the idea of a VortexBox to address the piles of CDs around the house

I really liked the ease of use and integration of the Touch for the several hours it worked and would like to maintain that integration for my sanity and ease of use so my wife can enjoy the music too.

Thanks for your help,

Quote Originally Posted by revo View Post
    Will either of these duplicate the full functionality of the Touch hardware while we wait to see what happens to Logitech support? They both have the advantage of being hardware I already own and inexpensive software.,
    I can't comment on the iPhone solution, but with Android SqueezePlay you won't be able to stream from Rhapsody etc as they prohibit this on anything but proper hardware players. Apart from that, you'll have the the Touch functionality. Obviously the quality of the sound will be dependant on the hardware but is unlikely to approach anything like the Touch.
    Family Room: Receiver; Kitchen: Boom; Garden: Classic; Bedroom: Boom; Anywhere: Controller, SqueezeCommander, Android SqueezePlayer
    last.fm

Alt 1: iPeng on a iPod Touch gen3. This seems good but only for local media. It also appears to be very good for high quality playback / DAC integration.
    Huh?
    iPeng requires a server (just like all the other software player alternatives) but plays online streams just as well.
    The exception in Rhapsody but that, again, doesn't work with the other software players, too.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

So Logitech Hardware vs. Software

Thanks for the replies; as mentioned some elements of the software options were a bit hazy.

So besides the obvious mobility and cost issues are there other issues or considerations?
    Thanks again

Alt 2: Orange Squeeze (or similar) + SqueezePlay on a LG G2x Android phone (2.3.3) This looks to have good stream control and sound output but is a bit nebulous in documentation.
    What were you missing in the documentation?
    Did you know: SqueezePlayer will stream all your music to your Android device. Take your music everywhere!
    Remote Control + Streaming to your iPad? Squeezebox + iPad = SqueezePad
    Want to see a Weather Forecast on your Radio/Touch/Controller ? => why not try my Weather Forecast Applet
    Want to use the Headphones with your Controller ? => why not try my Headphone Switcher Applet