Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Does it crash when the Now playing is not showing any artwork (e.g. text only or VU meters).

The metadata for Artwork is passed as an URL and Squeezeplay itself has to process the URL which will in fact point to a BBC image.

If the crashes only happen when artwork is being displayed in Now playing - then it localises where to look for the problem.
    Hi, ok so switched to text only and so far Radio 2 has been playing for nearly an hour! So it seems its a problem with the artwork.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Mothy_Tim View Post
    Hi, ok so switched to text only and so far Radio 2 has been playing for nearly an hour! So it seems its a problem with the artwork.
    Cheers,
    Tim
    Station logos are in PNG format whereas program images are in JPG.

If you set BBCiPlayer settings to "Always display station icon" - this means only station logo will be shown. If no crashes happen subsequently, then the issue is probably JPG related.

My initial feeling is the issue might be related to libraries which are built for non ARM maybe x86 type architecture. Some libraries have special code for different processor architectures. However, I think some images are resized before display so the underlying issue might not be straightforward.

edit:

Squeezeplay on Ubuntu didn't crash when displaying station logo and cycling through screeensavers - so I think it may be a JPG only issue.

edit 2:

It looks like the JPEG library in Squeezeplay is version 6b which is from 1998 !
    Current version is 9c but intermediate revs are still available at https://www.ijg.org/files/
    Last edited by bpa; 2019-05-14 at 11:57.

Station logos are in PNG format whereas program images are in JPG.

If you set BBCiPlayer settings to "Always display station icon" - this means only station logo will be shown. If no crashes happen subsequently, then the issue is probably JPG related.

My initial feeling is the issue might be related to libraries which are built for non ARM maybe x86 type architecture. Some libraries have special code for different processor architectures. However, I think some images are resized before display so the underlying issue might not be straightforward.

edit:

Squeezeplay on Ubuntu didn't crash when displaying station logo and cycling through screeensavers - so I think it may be a JPG only issue.

edit 2:

It looks like the JPEG library in Squeezeplay is version 6b which is from 1998 !
    Current version is 9c but intermediate revs are still available at https://www.ijg.org/files/
    The touch and radio appear to be using 8b at least that's what the poky build environment used when I rebuild the radio firmware.

So, I rebuilt squeezeplay on my linux system using jpeg 9c and libpng 1.2.59 but it still crashes as before cycling to the art only now playing screen.
    Code:
    jive: malloc.c:3096: sYSMALLOc: Assertion `(old_top == (((mbinptr) (((char *) &((av)->bins[((1) - 1) * 2])) - __builtin_offsetof (struct malloc_chunk, fd)))) && old_size == 0) || ((unsigned long) (old_size) >= (unsigned long)((((__builtin_offsetof (struct malloc_chunk, fd_nextsize))+((2 * (sizeof(size_t))) - 1)) & ~((2 * (sizeof(size_t))) - 1))) && ((old_top)->size & 0x1) && ((unsigned long)old_end & pagemask) == 0)' failed.
    Interestingly, when I build squeezeplay using dmalloc to help track this down, it never crashes. Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to debug/step through the lua code to try to find where this is happening. gdb traceback isn't very helpful either and valgrind reports the something has clobbered memory but it's happening way down in SDL so finding the source of the corruption isn't forthcoming.

Code:
    ==9436== Invalid write of size 4
    ==9436==    at 0x43396E6: SDL_FillRect (SDL_surface.c:610)
    ==9436==    by 0x432554E: SDL_UnRLESurface (SDL_RLEaccel.c:1915)
    ==9436==    by 0x4338355: SDL_MapSurface (SDL_pixels.c:551)
    ==9436==    by 0x433910C: SDL_LowerBlit (SDL_surface.c:417)
    ==9436==    by 0x12C012B: ???
    ==9436==  Address 0x9e174e8 is 0 bytes after a block of size 360,000 alloc'd
    ==9436==    at 0x4028308: malloc (vg_replace_malloc.c:263)
    ==9436==    by 0x4325518: SDL_UnRLESurface (SDL_RLEaccel.c:1907)
    ==9436==    by 0x4338355: SDL_MapSurface (SDL_pixels.c:551)
    ==9436==    by 0x433910C: SDL_LowerBlit (SDL_surface.c:417)
    ==9436==    by 0x12C012B: ???
    ==9436== 

valgrind: m_mallocfree.c:266 (mk_plain_bszB): Assertion 'bszB != 0' failed.
    valgrind: This is probably caused by your program erroneously writing past the
    end of a heap block and corrupting heap metadata.  If you fix any
    invalid writes reported by Memcheck, this assertion failure will
    probably go away.  Please try that before reporting this as a bug.
    Perhaps the image handling is misleading. The long text strings are what's really different with the iplayer plugin.
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 1-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Perhaps the image handling is misleading. The long text strings are what's really different with the iplayer plugin.
    Yes but png images don't crash and jpeg ones do with same text metadata ?

Also with test I ran - I had what I considered to be "short" strings and no problems. I'll play around with more test as I can fake variation on metadata easily.

I think I've found the cause.

I upgraded the SDL_gfx library to 2.0.24 at r300 back in Sept 2013. I've reverted to 2.0.15 the same as the radio and touch and haven't been able to crash squeezeplay with iplayer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mothy_Tim View Post
    Cheers,
    Tim
    Please try this MacOS squeezeplay test build and let us know.

Yes but png images don't crash and jpeg ones do with same text metadata ?

Also with test I ran - I had what I considered to be "short" strings and no problems. I'll play around with more test as I can fake variation on metadata easily.
    Thank you for helping with this problem. Are you usiing your own linux build or one of mine? I can build an updated one for you to test with as well.
    Ralphy

Thank you for helping with this problem. Are you usiing your own linux build or one of mine? I can build an updated one for you to test with as well.
    I've been using your build from sourceforge/lmsclients/squeezeplay

I've been using your build from sourceforge/lmsclients/squeezeplay
    32 or 64 bit?
    pulse or alsa?
    Ralphy

32 or 64 bit?
    pulse or alsa?
    64bit pulse.

64bit pulse.
    Give this one a try
    Ralphy

Give this one a try
    Back to back testing - same channel same metadata.
    1. The old version 1116 crashed when cycling through screensavers - crashing when moving from image
    2. The new version 1148 cycles through the images OK.

Looks good.