Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How long have your SB's lasted?

I bought my first SB3 Classic in August of 2007 (it says SlimDevices on the front), then picked up 2 "Logitech" SB3 Classics in 2008, and last week bought 2 touches from Amazon before they sold out. The classics work great, but I have noticed that the screen on my oldest classic is starting to dim after 5 years of being on 24 hours a day. I can still read the display but it is nowhere near as bright as one that I don't always have plugged in. (I set both to 4 brightness.)

How long have you had your Squeezeboxes for? How long do you reckon they'll last before a chip burns up or it just stops powering on for no apparent reason? I'm hoping 10 years.
    Last edited by Agent Smith; 2012-09-05 at 09:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Smith View Post
    I'm hoping 10 years.
    I hope I last 10 years. ;-)
    Home: VBA2.5 4TB or rPi4B/pCP6.1/4TB>LMS 7.9.3>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B/pCP6.1/4TB>LMS 7.9.3>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet except Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP4.0, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

My oldest SB is a BOOM. It has been on, plugged in continuously since purchase (I'm guessing 2008, it was when first released). Most of the time it is showing the TIME only, but it is always on. Haven't noticed any dimming of the screen yet.
    Home: VBA2.5 4TB or rPi4B/pCP6.1/4TB>LMS 7.9.3>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B/pCP6.1/4TB>LMS 7.9.3>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet except Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP4.0, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Smith View Post
    How long have you had your Squeezeboxes for?
    Duet since 18 March 2008 which is a tad under 4.5 years. Second receiver added August 2008.

How long do you reckon they'll last before a chip burns up or it just stops powering on for no apparent reason?
    Not a clue. Hopefully not too soon. If it stops powering up maybe that will just be the PSU, which can be easily replaced.

I'm hoping 10 years.
    I'm hoping another 10 years!

I am also hoping that somebody will find a way of making more music services run on LMS "unofficially", even if MySB.com is turned off. Otherwise I can see myself running two systems side-by-side, which will be a pita.
    Matt
    SqueezeBoxes: 3 x piCorePlayers with two Duets, one no longer in active service.
    Server: Synology DS214 (2TB) NAS running LMS 7.9.1
    Network: TP-Link Archer VR200 router, 3 x Netgear Orbi WiFi mesh access points (amazing!).
    Livingroom: Duet, Linn LP12, Naim 72/Hi-cap/110/Headline amp, B&W CM2 speakers
    Kitchen: piCorePlayer, Tibo powered speakers.
    Dining: piCorePlayer, second hand Cambridge amp and speakers.
    Portable: piCorePlayer with LMS and copy music library.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I hope I last 10 years. ;-)
    Ditto! That brought me right down to earth with a bump Gary. Puts all this Squeezebox nonsense in its proper context.
    Carpe diem and all that...
    Matt
    SqueezeBoxes: 3 x piCorePlayers with two Duets, one no longer in active service.
    Network: TP-Link Archer VR200 router, 3 x Netgear Orbi WiFi mesh access points (amazing!).

My oldest Classic is also from 2007, still one of the most-used units. Have the Display dimmed to 2 most of the time so can't judge on brightness.

The only SB that ever died for me was a Radio that created striping on the display and then got stolen in the mail when I wanted to exchange it, all others still work, even the beta units although the Controller doesn't charge anymore so I might count that one as broken, too, but I only ever use it for testing in it's cradle anyway.
    The IR remote that came with the original Classic also broke, no idea why, rarely ever used it. No problem, have plenty of spares and only use it for setup.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Is it not so that the display or wifi card or powersupply are the most likely to fail in a classic .

Run with as low brightness ass possible or screen off ,you might need it for setup some day .

If the wifi card fails it can be removed and the classic still works via ethernet .

230V psu on an origianl SB3 is bit on the cheap side but they to can be replaced with aftermarket units .
    The power connector can get a bit loose , signs of loose contact or flaky psu is for if spontaneously example reboots .

The ir diode in the remote can get loose from it solder joint especially of the remote is dropped , folks have rescued the remote by just resoldering the ir-diode .
    But a Touch remote also works on a classic ,but it has no brigthness button so that function will get lost then (but you can control that with the server ) .

Controllers battery is not very long lived , luckily it is the same as some popular Harmony remotes , so it won't get out of stock for a while , some chargers for controllers also have a connection problem .

My SB3 bougth 2006 was fine when i put it away for a Touch likewise my duet was replaced by a Touch 1,5 years later to but it is still in working order (but boxed) there are some controllers whose displays deteriorate rapidly (must be a quality problem ) .
    So for longevity i minimised using the display on my never squeezeboxes , no clock running on them 24/7 use blank/off screen saver
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

I have a SB3 since the end of 2009. I use it every day and it works very well. But the display doesn't work in the center of the screen for a year and a half. I can use the High Font to have a full display in small types on the top of the screen. SB3 displays seem to be fragile.

I get a Touch in the begining 2011. No problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    Controllers battery is not very long lived , luckily it is the same as some popular Harmony remotes , so it won't get out of stock for a while , some chargers for controllers also have a connection problem.
    Newer ones don't, and it is possible to bend contacts in the dock to make it work - search the forums for instructions (rather old now). I have a spare Controller and two spare batteries. Should last me a while!

The Controller is still the most used way of selecting music in my household. It has no alternative use for the kids (unlike an iPod Touch or phone) so never strays far from the dock.

The Controller screen also dims over time - something to do with the backlight I suspect. You can stave this off almost indefinitely if you use the blank screensaver option.

And finally... do what I did and buy a spare. My current Controller has been heavily abused by my kids - dropped onto wooden floor several times, sat on, slept on, variously covered in food, mud, Guinea Pig (Cavey) droppings and pee. It is still working fine - even polishes up quite well!

So if it can survive that lot and still work after nearly 5 years then it is probably good for another two or three - particularly as the kids are now slightly more sensible than they were 4 years ago. With a spare my current system is probably good for another 6 or 7 years.

As Garym pointed out, let us all hope we last as long as our Squeezeboxes!
    Last edited by TheLastMan; 2012-09-05 at 12:49.
    Matt

I have an Slimdevices SB3 from 2006. It's been on continuously since then (over 6 years now) and it works fine. I do keep the display brightness low when I'm not using it. My Touch is about 2 1/2 years old now and is also working fine and the Radio I bought in the Fall of 2009 is also plugging away.

My first Squeezebox was the SliMP3 and I ran it for about 5 years before selling it in 2006. I also had a Duet for several years. It was all working fine when I sold the receiver in 2011 and the controller earlier this Spring.

So, no complaints whatsoever about reliability.