Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Upgrade SB Radio to UE Radio

I realise I am probably going to be the only one here asking this question but...

How do I upgrade my Squeezebox Radio to a UE SmartRadio? As in install the new OS onto my existing SB Radio?

Guy

Quote Originally Posted by guy.brown View Post
    I realise I am probably going to be the only one here asking this question but...

How do I upgrade my Squeezebox Radio to a UE SmartRadio? As in install the new OS onto my existing SB Radio?

Guy
    I get the impression that at some point it may be offered as an option. But Michael can probably advise more accurately.

Robert

The old instructions on the Wiki for some reason didn't work for me (wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Custom.baby.version).

Here is how I installed UE on my bathroom Radio (at your own Risk - Michael said right now there is now way back, didn't test that yet):

• download firmware from http://update/firmware/10.0.0/baby_10.0.0_r16943.bin
    • with winscp copy it to the Radio. Preferred to the folder /media on the Radio.
      For me this didn't work though, due to the limited space on the Radio. But a trick will do: Copy the file to the folder /dev. It's a different partition with enough room.
      Then ssh into the Radio and create a symlink from /media to the /dev
      Code:
      cd /media
      ln -s /dev/baby_10.0.0_r16943.bin baby_10.0.0_r16943.bin
    • Now enter your Radios menu and go to Settings -> Advanced -> Update firmware. You will get an option for version 10.0.0

After a reboot you will see the UE|Logitech boot screen, the a 'connection to uemedia.com' and finally a new menu.
    Couldn't do a lot of tests (it's saturday, my wife wants to watch a film with me know ), but first impressions:

• it's now a blue menu instead of "teal", but that was said by Michael already
    • No forced login or creating of an account needed
    • reordered menus: Internet Radio is now (almost at the top), followed by "Music Services", only the we have "My Music".
    • Browing into "My Music" automatically detects the UEMediaServer installed on my Mac and I can browse my own music.
    • Sync menu is still there under Settings (but we were told that already)
    • No way to activate remote access: so probably indeed no way back right now

If we think of new unexperienced users - getting started is dead easy now.
    For my bathroom, kids room and bedroom this UERadio would be all I need.
    Last edited by bluegaspode; 2012-09-01 at 12:00.
    Did you know: SqueezePlayer will stream all your music to your Android device. Take your music everywhere!
    Remote Control + Streaming to your iPad? Squeezebox + iPad = SqueezePad
    Want to see a Weather Forecast on your Radio/Touch/Controller ? => why not try my Weather Forecast Applet
    Want to use the Headphones with your Controller ? => why not try my Headphone Switcher Applet

First impressions :

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1346525876169.jpg
Views: 18797
Size:  23.9 KB

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1346525856182.jpg
Views: 18794
Size:  28.1 KB
    Did you know: SqueezePlayer will stream all your music to your Android device. Take your music everywhere!
    Want to see a Weather Forecast on your Radio/Touch/Controller ? => why not try my Weather Forecast Applet
    Want to use the Headphones with your Controller ? => why not try my Headphone Switcher Applet

Quote Originally Posted by bluegaspode View Post
    The old instructions on the Wiki for some reason didn't work for me (wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Custom.baby.version).

Here is how I installed UE on my bathroom Radio (at your own Risk - Michael said right now there is now way back, didn't test that yet):

• download firmware from http://update/firmware/10.0.0/baby_10.0.0_r16943.bin
    • with winscp copy it to the Radio. Preferred to the folder /media on the Radio.
      For me this didn't work though, due to the limited space on the Radio. But a trick will do: Copy the file to the folder /dev. It's a different partition with enough room.
      Then ssh into the Radio and create a symlink from /media to the /dev
      Code:
      cd /media
      ln -s /dev/baby_10.0.0_r16943.bin baby_10.0.0_r16943.bin
    • Now enter your Radios menu and go to Settings -> Advanced -> Update firmware. You will get an option for version 10.0.0

After a reboot you will see the UE|Logitech boot screen, the a 'connection to uemedia.com' and finally a new menu.
    Couldn't do a lot of tests (it's saturday, my wife wants to watch a film with me know ), but first impressions:

• it's now a blue menu instead of "teal", but that was said by Michael already
    • No forced login or creating of an account needed
    • reordered menus: Internet Radio is now (almost at the top), followed by "Music Services", only the we have "My Music".
    • Browing into "My Music" automatically detects the UEMediaServer installed on my Mac and I can browse my own music.
    • Sync menu is still there under Settings (but we were told that already)
    • No way to activate remote access: so probably indeed no way back right now

If we think of new unexperienced users - getting started is dead easy now.
    For my bathroom, kids room and bedroom this UERadio would be all I need.
    Brave move to test it out , maybe the option to revert to previous working version can back you out of it

A thing many people wants now is probably if the alarm code is improved, that would win over many users to the concept .

No login ? does it imply that there is no website to log in to to manage players in any way ? Just a backend service that works in the background ?

Then I wonder how many users that actually would notice that internet access is needed to use local files ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

I wonder in UEMediaServer can co-exist alongside SBS/LMS on the same PC? Could finally be a solution for a kid's own music library.

Quote Originally Posted by rbz5416 View Post
    I wonder in UEMediaServer can co-exist alongside SBS/LMS on the same PC? Could finally be a solution for a kid's own music library.
    On my Mac I have LMS and UEMediaServer running side by side. Will try on my main Linux box as the next thing.
    They changed all port numbers on UEMediaServer.

No login ? does it imply that there is no website to log in to to manage players in any way ? Just a backend service that works in the background ?
    Internet-Radio + Local Music works without account.
    When you start to want to use services (i.e. Spotify) und you enter the "Add Music Services" menu you are told to either download the Controller App or to go to
    uesmartradio.com (the new mysqueezebox.com).

I just went to the website and created an account - and for some reason it automatically detected my Radio and connected it to the newly created account. Wow.
    Damn I didn't record the Javascripts used, they would have interested me.
    Now when I try to open a second fake account, it says I should be entering the Settings menu on the Radio where I can create a Pin to connect the Radio to my account.
    Guess this is what people will see, that got a Radio via Ebay and need to move it from one to another account. Still dead easy and good instructions that guide you through the process.

At this point I'm still impressed - someone did put some thoughts into the procedure of slowly introducing new users and not overwhelming them with stuff they probably won't need.

Now I also downloaded the iOS App - this one asks you about the account as the very first thing.
    Wow - this App has only one good looking screen (the starting one, with the big tiles you can see in the AppStore pictures).
    The rest of screens is plain ugly - at least they are functional and easy to use.
    Note to myself: still a market for third party devs, I actually like this

Then I wonder how many users that actually would notice that internet access is needed to use local files ?
    Probably noone in the beginning. Which is good in my opinion, as you don't want to nag users with such minor details, when they start using the device

A thing many people wants now is probably if the alarm code is improved, that would win over many users to the concept .
    Looking into github: Felix started to revamp the alarm code completely 6 months ago. 10 changes following.
    Two new developers adding changes in Juli + Aug.
    see here: https://github.com/Logitech/squeezep...oozeApplet.lua
    I cannot say anything about the quality - but one can see that the alarm was one topic they worked on.

Brave move to test it out , maybe the option to revert to previous working version can back you out of it
    Nah - not brave. My bathroom Radio actually only plays internet radio, not much risk there. I expected the UERadio be able to do at least THAT
    Did some more investigation and thanks to the sources available on GitHub am a step further:

See what I found in 'InputToActionMap.lua':
    Code:
    	[KEY_HOME | KEY_FWD] = "show_developer_menu",
    and in HomeMenu.lua
    Code:
    		if item.node == 'settings' and #Framework.windowStack == 2 then
    			appletManager:callService("developerModeSwitch", item)
    		end
    and in DeveloperApplet.lua
    Code:
    		self:loadDeveloperMenu()
    Tadaaaaa - translated: in the Settings menu press Home+Fwd and you will get a new Developers menu ... where we can find the menu for remote login again
    I'm connected to the UERadio via SSH right now, so will be able to upload (ye olde) custom firmwares.

I don't find a menu to load those uploaded firmwares though, digging a bit deeper, I see they disabled the menu.
    But the menu can be manually enabled again in /usr/share/jive/applets/SetupFirmwareUpgradeMeta.lua, the line to add the menu is commented out (but that is easily reverted).

No time now to follow this route further - but with SSH access and the old menu to start firmware upgrades, I'm confident that I would be able to roll back if in need.
    Anyone who knows how to SSH around the Radio should be able to do so as well with the instructions here.
    Last edited by bluegaspode; 2012-09-01 at 16:15.

On my Mac I have LMS and UEMediaServer running side by side. Will try on my main Linux box as the next thing.
    They changed all port numbers on UEMediaServer.

Internet-Radio + Local Music works without account.
    When you start to want to use services (i.e. Spotify) und you enter the "Add Music Services" menu you are told to either download the Controller App or to go to
    uesmartradio.com (the new mysqueezebox.com).

I just went to the website and created an account - and for some reason it automatically detected my Radio and connected it to the newly created account. Wow.
    Damn I didn't record the Javascripts used, they would have interested me.
    Now when I try to open a second fake account, it says I should be entering the Settings menu on the Radio where I can create a Pin to connect the Radio to my account.
    Guess this is what people will see, that got a Radio via Ebay and need to move it from one to another account. Still dead easy and good instructions that guide you through the process.

At this point I'm still impressed - someone did put some thoughts into the procedure of slowly introducing new users and not overwhelming them with stuff they probably won't need.

Now I also downloaded the iOS App - this one asks you about the account as the very first thing.
    Wow - this App has only one good looking screen (the starting one, with the big tiles you can see in the AppStore pictures).
    The rest of screens is plain ugly - at least they are functional and easy to use.
    Note to myself: still a market for third party devs, I actually like this

Probably noone in the beginning. Which is good in my opinion, as you don't want to nag users with such minor details, when they start using the device

Looking into github: Felix started to revamp the alarm code completely 6 months ago. 10 changes following.
    Two new developers adding changes in Juli + Aug.
    see here: https://github.com/Logitech/squeezep...oozeApplet.lua
    I cannot say anything about the quality - but one can see that the alarm was one topic they worked on.

Nah - not brave. My bathroom Radio actually only plays internet radio, not much risk there. I expected the UERadio be able to do at least THAT
    Did some more investigation and thanks to the sources available on GitHub am a step further:

See what I found in 'InputToActionMap.lua':
    Code:
    	[KEY_HOME | KEY_FWD] = "show_developer_menu",
    and in HomeMenu.lua
    Code:
    		if item.node == 'settings' and #Framework.windowStack == 2 then
    			appletManager:callService("developerModeSwitch", item)
    		end
    and in DeveloperApplet.lua
    Code:
    		self:loadDeveloperMenu()
    Tadaaaaa - translated: in the Settings menu press Home+Fwd and you will get a new Developers menu ... where we can find the menu for remote login again .
    I'm connected to the UERadio via SSH right now, so will be able to upload (ye olde) custom firmwares.

I don't find a menu to load those uploaded firmwares though, digging a bit deeper, I see they disabled the menu.
    But the menu can be manually enabled again in /usr/share/jive/applets/SetupFirmwareUpgradeMeta.lua, the line to add the menu is commented out (but that is easily reverted).

No time now to follow this route further - but with SSH access and the old menu to start firmware upgrades, I'm confident that I would be able to roll back if in need.
    Anyone who knows how to SSH around the Radio should be able to do so as well with the instructions here.
    Well excellent this makes it possible to turn an UE-Radio to a Squeezebox radio

But the only way to find out was to use an original radio with ssh enabled before the "upgrade" to UE
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

I wouldn't be too sure about downgrading a real UE Radio. It might be different Hardware and while the 10.0 firmware supports all hardware, the 7.7 firmware might only support 'old' Radios.
    Remember some months ago when some code leaked about a 'baby-mp2' (was this the name) ? This code was about a changed light sensor.

On my Mac I have LMS and UEMediaServer running side by side.
    Thanks.