Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NFLnut View Post
    QFT

The only iDevices that I own are the 1st gen click wheel and the 1st gen iPod Touch. And I have rarely used them. iTunes however, is THE single worst piece of software I have ever used! I have zero interest in proprietary, crippled hardware that I cannot customize and use in nearly any way I so choose.
    I just can confirm similar feelings in regards to the proprietary closed devises. The funny thing is that we are more in the minority. Mainstream needs easy to use fancy devices, and Apple sales just confirms that. Android world also follows it.
    The same is about SONOS and many other items appeared on the market.

It is like the discussion about proprietary copy rights and many other topics – a lot of us are not happy about this, but market goes own way. Most consumers do not really care as long as it works and do not mind when something goes into the trash bin after just few months of service. It is where the mainstream is, where most of cash is in.

And the future will be just evolving further in this direction: more content will be leased and not owned, more devices will be going that way. New Windows will just reinforce this trend as it will be much more closed systems then we used to have. Linux will be own island where remaining “freedom spirit” will be.
    ================================================== ============
    Duet: 2 Controllers + 4 Receivers; 1 Touch and happy Family !
    Intel Atom 330 Linux Server --> wired Ethernet to 1Gb Switch --> Router --> DSL --> net...

Quote Originally Posted by AndreE View Post
    The funny thing is that we are more in the minority.
    "The minority is sometimes right; the majority always wrong." - George Bernard Shaw

I love Squeezebox and it's products & I love the apple products.

Proprietary and open next to each other.

Apple, because it just works
    SB because it fills my total home with music

For me the most unique feature of the SB system is that it can synchronise between rooms or play different music in different rooms.

Which other system can do that except the Sonos which is much more expensive than the SB?

Quote Originally Posted by jsmithlon View Post
    For me the most unique feature of the SB system is that it can synchronise between rooms or play different music in different rooms.

Which other system can do that except the Sonos which is much more expensive than the SB?
    I am exactly the same....

I think Meridian Sooloos can do that. And it's much much more expensive than Sonos!

To answer your question, there is no other product out there at the moment.

Regarding the expense of Sonos, it's not as bad as it used to be. The players are expensive and then you had to add the cost of the controller. With iOS and andriod devices being quite prevelant, you don't need that any more, so the cost of the controller isn't a factor any more. Now that I fully appreciate the convenience and enjoyment of this type of system, the cost of the Sonos offereing isn't as bad as I originally thought.
    Rich
    ---------
    Setup: 2 SB3s, 4 Booms, 1 Duet, 1 Receiver, 1 Touch, iPeng on iPod Touch, SqueezeCommander, OrangeSqueeze, and SqueezePlayer on Xoom and Galaxy Player 4.2. CentOS 6.3 Server running LogitechMediaServer 7.7.2 and SqueezeSlave.
    Current library stats: 40,810 songs, 3,153 albums, 582 artists.
    http://www.last.fm/user/maggior

Quote Originally Posted by maggior View Post
    Regarding the expense of Sonos, it's not as bad as it used to be. The players are expensive and then you had to add the cost of the controller. With iOS and andriod devices being quite prevelant, you don't need that any more, so the cost of the controller isn't a factor any more. Now that I fully appreciate the convenience and enjoyment of this type of system, the cost of the Sonos offereing isn't as bad as I originally thought.
    Agreed, price isn't an issue, honestly it has never been, if I compare what I've payed from my music collection and other audio equipment, Sonos devices for a few rooms always have and still is nothing in comparison.

The main issue is that with Sonos (and many other hardware manufacturers) you are restricted to what software features the manufacturer prioritizes and wants to implement and their handling of third party add-ons is a joke, I watched bluegaspode mention his SonoPad app in their forum last year and the thread was almost closed just because he mentioned he was working on an app and wanted beta testers. Another issue is that you are restricted to hardware equipment which is provided by the manufacturer, you can basically forget about getting a third party player if the hardware the manufacturer provides doesn't suit your needs.

However, I can still sometimes feel a bit tempted, because a music streaming system that just works for the whole house and is supported by the manufacturer would be nice, but I've decided to wait and see what the market plans to provide now when Logitech has left a hole before I jump onto the Sonos wagon. I think the following 12 months is going to be more exiting in this market than the last year, there have been more movements in the market during the last 6 months and I'm also aware of some projects which are unknown to the public at this time. So to wait and see and enjoy my Squeezeboxes feels like a good strategy at the moment.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Developer of many plugins/applets

Quote Originally Posted by erland View Post
    Agreed, price isn't an issue, honestly it has never been, if I compare what I've payed from my music collection and other audio equipment, Sonos devices for a few rooms always have and still is nothing in comparison.

[...]but I've decided to wait and see what the market plans to provide now when Logitech has left a hole before I jump onto the Sonos wagon. I think the following 12 months is going to be more exiting in this market than the last year, there have been more movements in the market during the last 6 months and I'm also aware of some projects which are unknown to the public at this time. So to wait and see and enjoy my Squeezeboxes feels like a good strategy at the moment.
    I'm with you in your wait and see approach. I checked out Sonos just to see what my options are in case I have to jump ship. For now, everything is working quite well and I'm happy - even after updating to 7.7.2 :-).

I perfer an open system, but if a closed system does everything I need, that I'm OK with it. For instance, I like my iPods - itunes is good enough for me, they support robust gapless playback, and they have good accesory options with a line-out option.

So, when the time comes I need to move on and only a closed system is available and it does everything I need to do well, I'll be OK with that.

I'm interested to see what develops over the next year.
    Last edited by maggior; 2013-01-08 at 10:43. Reason: Meant 7.7.2, not 7.2.2.
    Rich
    ---------
    Setup: 2 SB3s, 4 Booms, 1 Duet, 1 Receiver, 1 Touch, iPeng on iPod Touch, SqueezeCommander, OrangeSqueeze, and SqueezePlayer on Xoom and Galaxy Player 4.2. CentOS 6.3 Server running LogitechMediaServer 7.7.2 and SqueezeSlave.
    Current library stats: 40,810 songs, 3,153 albums, 582 artists.
    http://www.last.fm/user/maggior

Quote Originally Posted by maggior View Post
    So, when the time comes I need to move on and only a closed system is available and it does everything I need to do well, I'll be OK with that.
    My only problem with Sonos is that they don't have Triode on their development team!

His BBC iPlayer and Spotify plug-ins are the two most used plug-ins on my Squeezeboxes. In fact I reckon about 50% of my family's total listening time is accounted for with just those two facilities.
    Sonos do not have an iPlayer app at all and their Spotify app is not a patch on Triode's plug-in.
    If my Squeezeboxes fail, or Triode's plug-ins stop working, then I will be bereft...
    I am sorely tempted to pick up some back-up Squeezeboxes just in case, but if the plug-ins stop working before the Squeezeboxes do then that would be a waste of money.
    Matt
    SqueezeBoxes: 3 x piCorePlayers with two Duets, one no longer in active service.
    Server: Synology DS214 (2TB) NAS running LMS 7.9.1
    Network: TP-Link Archer VR200 router, 3 x Netgear Orbi WiFi mesh access points (amazing!).
    Livingroom: Duet, Linn LP12, Naim 72/Hi-cap/110/Headline amp, B&W CM2 speakers
    Kitchen: piCorePlayer, Tibo powered speakers.
    Dining: piCorePlayer, second hand Cambridge amp and speakers.
    Portable: piCorePlayer with LMS and copy music library.